996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

GT3 Swaybar

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 12:05 AM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The H&R's are a pretty recent deal, they kept saying they were out, but really weren't. I run my front bar soft because I drive it every day. If and when I go on a track again I will set them back 1 from stiff. I also run my pss9's 4/3 so... I like a quasi soft ride. With the bars set 1 from stiff in the canyons they were cool but not ideal as they would make the car jump. I am sure I should have been running higher settings on the pss9's however as it effectively acts like a stiffer spring with more resistance when in mid cornering etc. One of these days for the heck of it I will set them to 1 and back to 1 off stiff and go through the canyons and see how the dampning compares-
Old 12-05-2004, 02:23 AM
RevUrGT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Eddie,

Thanks for your feedback, that is very true.

Well, I did not initiated this post but I am sure as hell I learned a lot from it... thanks Apx2Apx!!

Before I let go... I am ordering FR/RR H&R sway bars from tirerack (cheapest price I found) and I read that it comes with bushings but, is there anything else needed? How about the clamps that bold the sway bars to the chassis, can the original ones be reused?
Old 12-06-2004, 02:58 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ivan, the kits are complete and should bolt up as is.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:45 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

I have had both the TRG and GT3 bars on a Boxster S (same front as 996s). In order to be adjustable, you need to vary the lever arm length. The TRG and GT3 bars are thus flat on the ends. The stock bar bends down, and hence has longer end links. I think it is the H&R bar that also bends down, but since the holes are essentially vertical, it is really not adjustable. The "really" adjustable GT3 and TRG bars absolutely must have shorter end links. You will not be able to install with the OE links. Also, because of the geometry, the end links need to be pretty beefy. While playing around with the rear end links, I noticed the TRG links were noticeable stiffer than the OE end links (length is not an issue in the rear) which leads me to believe there is some flex in the OE end links which seems reasonable if you look at the size of them versus the size of the bar. In the end, the TRG rear bar was too similar to stock, so I just stayed with the front bar. I've done other mods and am running the front at full stiff. In order to run at full stiff or 2nd from full stiff, you run into serious binding problems which litterally will break the end links. I've then gone to making some custom brackets to correct the geometry so I can run full stiff without binding. Yes, the end links are outrageously expensive. I've got several hundred dollars of end links and am making my own end links now since the TRG end links will rub agains the wheel carrier at full stiff. As for comparing the TRG and GT3 bars: they are about the same. The TRG bar is an "English" knock-off of the GT3 bar which is metric. The dimensions are slightly different, and the GT3 is a teeny bit stiffer which is why I went with it. Either is about twice as stiff as stock. If you are interested, I still have the TRG bar and a box of end links including the original (trick looking) blue anodized aluminum TRG ones. The original TRG rod end bushings are a little hammered (from the binding), but they work and/or I can try to get another set. Basically the TRG bar setup is fine as long as you run in the middle position or softer. For stiffer, you need the real Porsche Motorsports end links which are about $500 or custom end links and some brackets like I made to fix the geometry. I am in the SF Bay area.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:29 PM
SPR
Drifting

Uh, I don't know about that. I have the trg links and have run them full stiff without binding or rubbing. Mine are bent and the bend is SUPPOSED to face the front. This might likely be your issue. However given that you are running the front stiff you prefer some gross understeer which is a really weird setup. The cool thing about the trg bars is they also have special spacers that allow the rod end not to bind when installed correctly. This also might be your problem. Also you can adjust the length and mine are full short. In sum I have had no problems with the links. Also my friend has the same gt3 bars as mine and has modified stock links and it seems to ride a little softer but the links are fine no bending etc. Do they flex? duno.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:17 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

I suspect that TRG has a revision of the end links, then. Mine are straight and there are no spacers. The length is near full short--just enough to clear the lower control arms. I do not prefer gross understeer. It depends on the rest of your setup. Mine is pretty stiff, and I get mild oversteer except for relatively low speeds. Another major consideration of understeer is your front tire pressures.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:50 AM
Apx2Apx
Track Day

Thanks for the info everyone... from what I've been reading I think the Gt3 setup will be best...

Does anyone have any suggestions where to find the end links at a reasonable price..

arenared~ whre did you have your endlinks made and what were the costs..

Does TRG make two different bars for our cars.. from there website the bars look completely different from the GT3 bars...

http://www.theracersgroup.com/parts/...s/swaybars.htm...
Old 12-08-2004, 10:20 AM
SPR
Drifting

I got my bars from gert at carnewal at a great deal, probably cheaper than what the H&R's are today and certainly cheaper than the trg bars, but of course bought the trg links.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:32 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

SPR-- Ah, I realized another reason why you don't have binding at full stiff. You have the GT3 bars with the TRG links. The spacing on the holes on the TRG bar is wider than on the GT3 bar. Thus, the stiffest setting on the TRG is a little further inward. Also, I don't know what structural differences there are between 996/986 and a true GT3 in terms of sub-frames, control arm lengths, wheel carriers, etc., but I did also notice that the TRG/GT3 bars are about 3/4" narrower than the stock Boxster bar which is a 996 P/N.

Apx2Apx-- Ignore the pictures in the link. Those are not for the 996/986. Check the stock rear diameter. For the 986, there are stock rears that are 19.6mm. The TRG is "20mm" which I bet is really .75" (19mm), and I think their 26mm bar is actually 1" (25.4mm) rounded up. For info on endlinks, try to PM me since there is way to much info to cover here.

Quick Reply: GT3 Swaybar