Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Battery Replacement - Do you need to tell the ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2024, 03:52 AM
justinbAUS
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Battery Replacement - Do you need to tell the ECU?

Hi,
As the title suggests - I'm replacing the battery in the 996.2 C2. Do I need to tell the ECU? or is it just swapout ? I know had to tell the ECU about the new battery for my 2020 Golf GTI and 2017 Audi A4.

Second question - does PCCM+ have a pin code so that if I replace the battery I'll need to type in or anything? I'm not finding anything relating to a code in the documentation from the previous owner.

thanks Team 996
Old 09-16-2024, 08:31 AM
kincedn9
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

Replaced my battery and don’t remember doing anything special before or after.
Old 09-16-2024, 09:05 AM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by justinbAUS
Hi,
As the title suggests - I'm replacing the battery in the 996.2 C2. Do I need to tell the ECU? or is it just swapout ? I know had to tell the ECU about the new battery for my 2020 Golf GTI and 2017 Audi A4.

Second question - does PCCM+ have a pin code so that if I replace the battery I'll need to type in or anything? I'm not finding anything relating to a code in the documentation from the previous owner.

thanks Team 996
I think those codes are for factory radios only? I have a code written in my owners manual, but I've only used it when getting new keys. I don't recall any code when I installed my PCCM.
Old 09-16-2024, 09:59 AM
996-CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by justinbAUS
Hi,

thanks Team 996
It is just a swap out. Just be sure to buy and put some dielectric grease on the battery posts so they don't corrode.
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,098 Posts

Agree, nothing needed. Same goes for my 2019 BMW as well, thankfully.
Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,774 Likes on 2,153 Posts

You don't need to tell the DME anything when swapping batteries BUT I would advice you to get one of these memory keepers so that you don't loose all radio memory, DME adaptions and calibrations, Tiptronic adaptions, one touch window fumctions, one touch sunroof functions, Seat memory functions, Convertible top calibrations,..HBA calibrations, Steering angle calibrations,Odometer trip and mileage memory, ect..

All these things take time to reset, some may reset automatically, some may not but as a professional I always try to save it if possible...( helps to keep customer complaints down also...lol)

They are so cheap and easy to use !!

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
996love (Yesterday)
Old Today, 06:44 AM
justinbAUS
Advanced

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
You don't need to tell the DME anything when swapping batteries BUT I would advice you to get one of these memory keepers so that you don't loose all radio memory, DME adaptions and calibrations, Tiptronic adaptions, one touch window fumctions, one touch sunroof functions, Seat memory functions, Convertible top calibrations,..HBA calibrations, Steering angle calibrations,Odometer trip and mileage memory, ect..

All these things take time to reset, some may reset automatically, some may not but as a professional I always try to save it if possible...( helps to keep customer complaints down also...lol)

They are so cheap and easy to use !!

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-64...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Thanks Chip - always helpful. Think you can fill me in on what's under the battery tray?

I'm wondering if the bolts are welded to the chassis under the tray or what... Kinda scared to tackle it without knowning what's under there....

Old Today, 06:56 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,774 Likes on 2,153 Posts

Fuel pump/fuel gauge is under there....Looks like your bolts are rusted bad...you may have trouble getting them out...you live up North ??
Old Today, 07:01 AM
justinbAUS
Advanced

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Fuel pump/fuel gauge is under there....Looks like your bolts are rusted bad...you may have trouble getting them out...you live up North ??
Live in Sydney, Australia. We don't salt the roads here (never gets cold enough). I think a battery at some point has leaked some acid...

We've tried to loosen the bolts. Hit them with WD40 for an overnight soaking without success. Friend of mine wants to grind off the nuts at least to remove the tray. Unsure of next steps

Now that you mentioned the fuel pump I found this YT video
gives me an idea

Last edited by justinbAUS; Today at 07:09 AM.
Old Today, 07:43 AM
996love
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Do you really have to remove the tray? As ugly as it is, the job sounds like an unnecessary, pain-in-the-butt can of worms. Like you said, if the bolts are indeed welded to the chassis, you’ll have a difficult time trying to mock up a replacement. I’d leave it as-is until you really need to get to the fuel pump (per Porschetech3).
Old Today, 08:00 AM
justinbAUS
Advanced

Originally Posted by 996love
Do you really have to remove the tray? As ugly as it is, the job sounds like an unnecessary, pain-in-the-butt can of worms. Like you said, if the bolts are indeed welded to the chassis, you’ll have a difficult time trying to mock up a replacement. I’d leave it as-is until you really need to get to the fuel pump (per Porschetech3).
Trying to see if the rust has spread further and then trying to treat / stop it getting worse....? isn't that the right approach?
Old Today, 08:23 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 762 Posts

I had my battery tray refinished and powder coated, then installed with SS nuts and washers. Worth it...

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement - Do you need to tell the ECU?