Sponsored by:

135k road trip prep

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2024, 09:38 PM
danmurphymn
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 135k road trip prep

I'm in dreaming mode right now. Planning a 2025 road trip from MN > Black Hills SD > Yellowstone > Boise ID > San Fran > down PCH towards LA all the way to San Diego > Phoenix > Tucson > Grand Canyon > Million Dollar Highway in CO > Misc colorado roads back to Minneapolis.

I've owned my car for about 10k miles. Changed all fluids, replaced AOS, & done misc service.
What maintenance would you want to do before an epic road trip?
Consider this as a car with basic maintenance done to date...

Last edited by danmurphymn; 08-29-2024 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 09:42 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,478 Likes on 1,831 Posts

A good set of tires, check the spare and go.
The following 4 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
beermanpete (08-30-2024), plpete84 (08-30-2024), SammyTheBone (08-29-2024), wdb (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 09:47 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,484 Likes on 718 Posts

This does sound like a epic trip, good for you.

Originally Posted by danmurphymn
Changed all fluids, replaced AOS, & done misc service.
What maintenance would you want to do before an epic road trip?
Kinda hard to say without knowing what the 'misc service' that you've already done included.
Old 08-29-2024, 09:53 PM
danmurphymn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
This does sound like a epic trip, good for you.

Kinda hard to say without knowing what the 'misc service' that you've already done included.
Sorry, I updated the post to consider the car as one with "basic" maintenance done.

This is a 2025 trip plan so I'm just looking for a list of things to do, & why so I can start researching them prior to the trip.
If it helps, I'm SUPER handy. Can fix nearly anything & carry a full tool kit with me on trips like this.
Old 08-29-2024, 10:26 PM
168Sierra
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 111 Posts

How long has it been since the last water pump and coolant reservoir replacement? If it has been 5 years you might want to change them.
Old 08-29-2024, 10:28 PM
168Sierra
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 111 Posts

I did a 9200 mile trip from Tn to CA up to Seattle and back across the northern US last Sep-Oct. Great trip! My wife and I built a new 4.0 motor for our 02 C4 cab just before the trip.
The following 2 users liked this post by 168Sierra:
SealG996 (08-29-2024), wdb (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 10:43 PM
danmurphymn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 168Sierra
How long has it been since the last water pump and coolant reservoir replacement? If it has been 5 years you might want to change them.
I know the coolant reservoir has been replaced recently, but no receipts for the water pump... Thanks!
Old 08-30-2024, 01:44 AM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Received 969 Likes on 430 Posts

I'm jealous even before you start posting pictures during the trip. I also recently drove across the country in my 996. The car was fantastic. Super comfortable all day between 75 and 90. Me and the trucks in the morning. The engine seemed to run better after the trip.

Take a close look at your hoses. Some of them have plastic tees for a 3rd hose to connect. One of mine had some splits in the plastic. It looked like it would fail any day. Make sure to carry enough extra liters of 'your' oil. Get one of those jumper batteries, small airpump, and tire plugging kit. And go! If needed and timing works, I can offer a place to change your oil. I'm 30 miles outside of San Francisco.
The following users liked this post:
danmurphymn (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 07:12 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,252 Posts

Dan, sounds like a great road trip. Comes in handy that you are a DIY guy in prep as well as for the trip.

I would take a look at all of the maintenence items you have done including parts that you replaced and figure out what you should probably replace that could give you a problem when you are in the middle of nowhere that could create a difficult situation.

In addition to tires and brakes, examples would be headlight switch (been there with no lights), ignition switch, cooling system, power steering, sensors, belts, you get the idea. Some of these things are small and you can just throw in your frunk as a JIC, others like cooling lines, power steering lines, water pump, oil filler tube, etc probably should be fresh on the car to eliminate any pita situations. Yep, have fresh light bulbs.

You know the 3 main catastrophic failures, IMSB, Water Pump and AOS, so make sure you have a fresh OEM water pump, LN IMSB and UAOS Track on the car.

Importantly, you will be trekking thru canyons at varying elevation changes. If you are using the OEM AOS, you will most likely find that you will need to run it at a lower oil level thru the hills due to smoking which is sub optimal for lubrication and oil consumption. So you may want to consider getting the UAOS track on the car, and fill your oil up to full or above full by 1 qt.

It will pay to map out porsche dealerships along the way if you need parts quickly.

Lastly, consider getting a Durametric if you dont have one.

Enjoy the trip!
The following users liked this post:
996love (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 09:42 AM
Corso
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts

Jelly. Sounds amazing. Please document and share.
Old 08-30-2024, 10:57 AM
danmurphymn
Intermediate

Awesome, thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! This will be a lot of planning as I don't just have to plan the route, but I have a bunch of other logistics as well.
I have a 6 year old son that I have 50/50. I will also be coordinating my girlfriend who will fly out & drive sections with me, and my son for parts of the trip.
I have clients all over the West coast so I'll be doing meet & greets with various clients as well.

Step 1 will be planning the route out. As I plan, I'll share my route so you call can offer suggestions...
Right now, working on Wyoming routes! I friggen love Wyoming!
Old 08-30-2024, 11:01 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,842 Likes on 934 Posts

Love to see this. Aside from what has been mentioned, I'd check all the drive belt pulleys and the belt itself. I had a stupid pulley get me stranded 3 miles from home. Since this is a 2025 road trip, I'd start putting together a list of all the things and start tackling it little by little. It sounds like you're mechanically savvy so bring along a toolbox with most common tools. It's basically one of those situations where if you bring a rain coat it won't rain and as they say "future success is dependent on prior preparation" so it sounds like you're on the right track. It would be a great idea for you to start a thread covering all the prep you did and document the trip itself. I've seen these threads pop up in the past and always love seeing the 996 getting used. They're such an amazing road trip car.
Old 08-30-2024, 11:05 AM
dcsjc
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like an awesome trip! You put on your list to check if PCH is still closed or not just south of Big Sur. It’s still worth driving as much of highway 1 south as you can, and then turning around, detouring back to up to 101 and down and around to rejoin 1 around Cambria.

-Dennis
Old 08-30-2024, 11:05 AM
danmurphymn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by plpete84
Love to see this. Aside from what has been mentioned, I'd check all the drive belt pulleys and the belt itself. I had a stupid pulley get me stranded 3 miles from home. Since this is a 2025 road trip, I'd start putting together a list of all the things and start tackling it little by little. It sounds like you're mechanically savvy so bring along a toolbox with most common tools. It's basically one of those situations where if you bring a rain coat it won't rain and as they say "future success is dependent on prior preparation" so it sounds like you're on the right track. It would be a great idea for you to start a thread covering all the prep you did and document the trip itself. I've seen these threads pop up in the past and always love seeing the 996 getting used. They're such an amazing road trip car.
100% agreed. I always bring a more than ample tool kit with me. For years of my life, I spent some time daily reading the epic ride report sections of ADVRider.com so I love people sharing their trip stories. I think the hardest part will be the wait!
Old 08-30-2024, 11:07 AM
danmurphymn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dcsjc
Sounds like an awesome trip! You put on your list to check if PCH is still closed or not just south of Big Sur. It’s still worth driving as much of highway 1 south as you can, and then turning around, detouring back to up to 101 and down and around to rejoin 1 around Cambria.

-Dennis
Oh seriously? It's still closed??? What is the anticipated timeline to be back open? I've driven the PCH a handful of times in the past but never in a porsche!

Quick Reply: 135k road trip prep