Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

You Can’t Have Too Many Buying Advice Threads (a Buying Advice Thread)!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2024 | 01:18 PM
911Dreamer
Racer

Originally Posted by 996love
The most common engines that need to be bore scoped for bore scoring include the Porsche 911 3.6 liter M96.03, M96.05, and 3.8 liter M97.01 engines.”

https://lnengineering.com/products/w...e-scoring.html
And yet there is many 996.2s and 997s driving around? You stated the 997 was more prone to bore scoring and have zero proof. What you present is LN stating that 996s and 997s engine should be checked? Yeah part of a PPI that most do when they buy.

Its too bad this forum is one the places where the IMS stigma began and yet the 996 polls state otherwise. Maybe there needs to be a bore scoring poll, to get the real facts out there.

Last edited by 911Dreamer; 07-31-2024 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-31-2024 | 03:28 PM
996love
Racer

Here is what’s stated: LN recommends borescoping 996.2s and 997s because their engines are more susceptible to bore scoring than others.
Old 07-31-2024 | 04:10 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Yeah, changes to bore coatings. Can't remember what year it changes for the 3.4. Quite frankly, if an owner runs good oil and changes it a couple of times a year, runs fresh fuel injectors and oxy sensors so the cylinders aren't flooded with fuel, and drives the damn car to get the oil nice and hot to burn off the moisture, you've just helped your bores.

But that's not what everyone does.

Sounds like bore scoring is starting to rear it's ugly head with 991 and 992 as well. Dont know about the lines with Caymans and Boxsters, but I suspect it's the same since the German/EU environmental laws are influencing the manufacturing process accross the board.

The question everyone should be asking is what 996.1 years have which bore coating. But for those that think there is no bore scoring with a 3.4, I got a bridge to sell you. The reason is simple, the vast majority of owners fail to change their oil, fail to run properly functioning fuel injectors, amd only drive their cars 2 miles to the grocery story and never burn off the moisture in the oil.
Old 07-31-2024 | 04:11 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GC996
Johnny, there is nothing practical about buying a 20 year old Porsche. It will cost you money to keep it running, regardless of the price you pay for it. If you are smart amd patient, you can find one whose previous owner took care of the bores and did all the service work that should have been performed.

Sit down, here is what it's going to cost you assuming you have NO DIY skills and you pay for parts and labor.

Bullet proof the engine. ($8-12k) UAOS, IMSB, RMS, Clutch, flywheel, water pump, oil cooler, fuel Injectors, ignition coils, spark plugs, MAF, oxy sensors, oil sensor, and other basic refresh items.

Suspension, brakes & tires. ($5-12k)

Exhaust. ($8-10k)

These number don't count any "pretty" stuff like exterior and interior upgrades. Nor does it count things like coolant leaks and power steering leaks which ultimately happen.

the key is to bullet proof the engine first. Then take the next few years and build out a plan to address suspension, brakes, tires, exhaust, exterior and interior items in an affordable manner.

Just my two sents. I have owned my 996.2 for 22 years. Will never get rid of it. Glad I serviced the hell out of it over the years. I can decide at the drop of a hat to drive it from Chicago to whatever state I want for a long trip w/o loosing sleep. But there is a cost to keeping the car in excellent shape.
Exhaust is a mod, not something you "need to do."
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (08-01-2024)
Old 07-31-2024 | 04:20 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Exhaust is a mod, not something you "need to do."
For sure. Unless your 25 year old exhaust system is falling apart. Same with suspension. It's inevitable, they will eventually need to be replaced. But the key is to bullet proof the engine which is pretty damn easy. But most choose to do the pretty stuff first. Can't figure that one out.
The following 2 users liked this post by GC996:
996-CAB (07-31-2024), Woodman71 (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024 | 04:25 PM
911Dreamer
Racer

Yeah, changes to bore coatings. Can't remember what year it changes for the 3.4. Quite frankly, if an owner runs good oil and changes it a couple of times a year, runs fresh fuel injectors and oxy sensors so the cylinders aren't flooded with fuel, and drives the damn car to get the oil nice and hot to burn off the moisture, you've just helped your bores.

But that's not what everyone does.

Sounds like bore scoring is starting to rear it's ugly head with 991 and 992 as well. Dont know about the lines with Caymans and Boxsters, but I suspect it's the same since the German/EU environmental laws are influencing the manufacturing process accross the board.

The question everyone should be asking is what 996.1 years have which bore coating. But for those that think there is no bore scoring with a 3.4, I got a bridge to sell you. The reason is simple, the vast majority of owners fail to change their oil, fail to run properly functioning fuel injectors, amd only drive their cars 2 miles to the grocery story and never burn off the moisture in the oil.
That is the problem there Because the 996s had the IMS stigma, they were cheap to others who wanted to experience them and not knowing how to actually take care of them or running them without getting them hot. You see them with a Carfax of 5 to 9 owners all within less than a year of ownership. Owners who went from air cooled to water cooled, already had a heads up on how these engines run. I still would like to see a bore scoring poll put in the 996 forum, if they did it for the IMS, why not for the bores?
GC996 (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024 | 05:00 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Dreamer
That is the problem there Because the 996s had the IMS stigma, they were cheap to others who wanted to experience them and not knowing how to actually take care of them or running them without getting them hot. You see them with a Carfax of 5 to 9 owners all within less than a year of ownership. Owners who went from air cooled to water cooled, already had a heads up on how these engines run. I still would like to see a bore scoring poll put in the 996 forum, if they did it for the IMS, why not for the bores?
I hear you. Alot of info that isn't complete or the whole story.

I can tell you that from 2002 thru 2019 before I joined Rennlist, I never heard of nor worried about bore scoring.

My worry was to make sure I had the best damn AOS, Deep Sump and then IMSB on my car to eliminate oil starvation and IMSB failure during a 20-25 min session on the track wearing Hoosiers.

About that time folks were complaining about the durability of the 3.4 engine with head and d-chunking issues. It turns out that there wasn't any head or D-chunking issues, there was a failed water pump and breaking fin issue which caused the head and cylinder cracking issues. Today we know. Back in the day, we didn't. Bad assumptions formed from lack of understanding the issues. once we figured it out, i changed my water pump pretty often.

Today, we also know about bore scoring, what causes it in and how to prevent it in any 986, 987, 718, 996, 997, 991 and 992 engine. Pretty easy, just run great oil and change it frequently.

Agreed. Too much incomplete info. But we live in the modern age of knuckleheads with a social media channel spreading half the story.

Last edited by GC996; 07-31-2024 at 05:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GC996:
911Dreamer (08-01-2024), philbert996 (07-31-2024)
Old 07-31-2024 | 08:22 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

For sure. Unless your 25 year old exhaust system is falling apart. Same with suspension. It's inevitable, they will eventually need to be replaced. But the key is to bullet proof the engine which is pretty damn easy. But most choose to do the pretty stuff first. Can't figure that one out.
Me either. I think it's pretty enough the way it came off the assembly line.

Last edited by Woodman71; 08-01-2024 at 12:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Woodman71:
996-CAB (07-31-2024), GC996 (07-31-2024)
Old 08-01-2024 | 12:49 PM
911Dreamer
Racer

I hear you. Alot of info that isn't complete or the whole story.

I can tell you that from 2002 thru 2019 before I joined Rennlist, I never heard of nor worried about bore scoring.

My worry was to make sure I had the best damn AOS, Deep Sump and then IMSB on my car to eliminate oil starvation and IMSB failure during a 20-25 min session on the track wearing Hoosiers.

About that time folks were complaining about the durability of the 3.4 engine with head and d-chunking issues. It turns out that there wasn't any head or D-chunking issues, there was a failed water pump and breaking fin issue which caused the head and cylinder cracking issues. Today we know. Back in the day, we didn't. Bad assumptions formed from lack of understanding the issues. once we figured it out, i changed my water pump pretty often.

Today, we also know about bore scoring, what causes it in and how to prevent it in any 986, 987, 718, 996, 997, 991 and 992 engine. Pretty easy, just run great oil and change it frequently.

Agreed. Too much incomplete info. But we live in the modern age of knuckleheads with a social media channel spreading half the story.
Been here since 2001 and from 1998 on Pelican...Sorry to say the biggest fears are from these sites. When I owned 1 of 5 911s the fear was the head studs pulling from the case, so many owners stated my engine wouldn't last if I didn't replace them. Never did and it was fine.

The 996 here has so many great owners and fixes that we all know of, but man spend too much time here....You would be afraid to drive your 996 lol. The stigma is so strong with the 996 and I am just driving around in 110+ weather enjoying the Targa. But because of the fear, I do have moments of hmmmm but than I just drive and enjoy the Targa.

I want to see a Bore Score poll here
The following 2 users liked this post by 911Dreamer:
GC996 (08-01-2024), Johnny LaRue (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024 | 01:17 PM
Siberian14
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
I'm on my fourth Porsche. When it comes to the "many compromises" of owning one of these cars, I'm happy to explain. The 911 is like a drug, once you get a dose, you're hooked at the Breaking Bad level. It's an expensive habit, but enjoyable nonetheless. However, if I'm totally truthful with you, I'll give it to you plain and straight. If you're looking for a "practical" daily driver, this is not your car. This is weekend man therapy on wheels. If you want a practical daily driver, then get a Toyota. If you want a thrill ride that comes at a significant cost, then there is NO substitute. (((coughs))

P O R S C H E!
Yes, agree. I had 7 air-cooled 912/911s up to and including 930 and 935. Sold 'em all long ago. Now I want back in the idiot pool. Any Porsche is an amazing machine. BTW, there won't (shouldn't?) be any over-revs with a Tiptronic IIRC. One I would suggest is PSM (option 476}. Porsche Stability Management or also called "Please Save Me" option. The C4 may have that as standard, not certain. It would be handy for new 911 owner and/or wife. Enclosed pic (not my phot) of where it is on dash, and should be on the little build sheet numbers in frunk. JMO. The "4" is not active all the time, or at least that is what I have read. At any rate, it is helpful in rain and bad bad weather.

Whatever. The practicality of a 911 is space for kids/stuff behind the front seats and relative large size. It still isn't a Toyota. If you get a 996 and like it, it will become a mark that very few other cars can match or beat. It is the nature of the beast (911). I speak from experience.

Oh, and remember that required tires for that great handling and experience are not Walmart specials and depending upon your sheer enjoyment level, wear out fast.

Last edited by Siberian14; 08-01-2024 at 01:24 PM.
Johnny LaRue (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024 | 04:55 PM
911Dreamer
Racer

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
I'm on my fourth Porsche. When it comes to the "many compromises" of owning one of these cars, I'm happy to explain. The 911 is like a drug, once you get a dose, you're hooked at the Breaking Bad level. It's an expensive habit, but enjoyable nonetheless. However, if I'm totally truthful with you, I'll give it to you plain and straight. If you're looking for a "practical" daily driver, this is not your car. This is weekend man therapy on wheels. If you want a practical daily driver, then get a Toyota. If you want a thrill ride that comes at a significant cost, then there is NO substitute. (((coughs))

P O R S C H E!
I must be insane because 10 months in and the daily driver Targa (Only Car) has been very practical for me. Buts a Targa is the best of the coupe/cab.

The following 4 users liked this post by 911Dreamer:
GC996 (08-13-2024), Johnny LaRue (08-01-2024), Lady Silver (08-01-2024), M422A1 (08-02-2024)
Old 08-01-2024 | 05:50 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue
Just wanted to take a second to thank you all for your feedback. There’s some very sobering advice in this thread and it’s giving me pause for thought.

I’m no stranger to ‘vintage’ things and the occasional/constant aggravations that arise when they inevitably break or develop quirks. That’s part of the deal. Admittedly though, the financial stakes in this venture are a level or two up from what I’m accustomed to and I’m suddenly not sure I’m entirely comfortable with that.

That said, I think I’ll follow through with seeing the gold C4 and take a close look at the service binder to see what kind of story it tells. If I like the car and the maintenance history is thorough enough, I’ll proceed with a PPI and take it from there.

Thanks again, folks!
You can add up all the dollar amounts in that binder and get a feel for what some of this stuff costs. And if that binder has receipts for things done more recently, those aren’t repairs you will have to make again most likely.

All that said, I’ve spent $18k over 7 years with my 996, which is now eligible for antique license plates.

PORSCHE: Plenty Of Receipts, Sorry Can’t Have Everything.

Then again, that $18k was on a $18k purchase price, and the car is easily now worth $28k, so it really only cost me $100/month, which is less than my wife’s gym membership. You can spend a lot more money on many other things.

Finally, a lifelong dream to own a Porsche doesn’t have to happen at 25 years old or 45 years old. Plenty of folks do it at 60 and have 25+ years to enjoy and sleep well at night.

At the end of the day, you’re looking for a good looking, fun car, for $20k, and there’s a lot to choose from: Ford Mustang GT

Mazda Miata

Acura Integra R

Ford Focus SVT/ST

Nissan Z

Honda Civic R (too expensive?)

Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ

Mini Cooper S /JCW
Old 08-01-2024 | 07:39 PM
Patunia
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Siberian14
Yes, agree. I had 7 air-cooled 912/911s up to and including 930 and 935. Sold 'em all long ago. Now I want back in the idiot pool. Any Porsche is an amazing machine. BTW, there won't (shouldn't?) be any over-revs with a Tiptronic IIRC. One I would suggest is PSM (option 476}. Porsche Stability Management or also called "Please Save Me" option. The C4 may have that as standard, not certain. It would be handy for new 911 owner and/or wife. Enclosed pic (not my phot) of where it is on dash, and should be on the little build sheet numbers in frunk. JMO. The "4" is not active all the time, or at least that is what I have read. At any rate, it is helpful in rain and bad bad weather.

Whatever. The practicality of a 911 is space for kids/stuff behind the front seats and relative large size. It still isn't a Toyota. If you get a 996 and like it, it will become a mark that very few other cars can match or beat. It is the nature of the beast (911). I speak from experience.

Oh, and remember that required tires for that great handling and experience are not Walmart specials and depending upon your sheer enjoyment level, wear out fast.

Thanks for finding and using a picture of my 06/98 😎 makes me feel special
Johnny LaRue (08-01-2024)
Old 08-01-2024 | 07:40 PM
Johnny LaRue
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Siberian14
One I would suggest is PSM (option 476}. Porsche Stability Management or also called "Please Save Me" option. The C4 may have that as standard, not certain.

Yes, the gold C4 (which I think I’m finally seeing this evening!) has the ‘PSM off’ button. Sounds like it’s standard and on by default, as with most contemporary AWD cars.

Duly noted about the tires. That’s one of the knocks against the C4 (vs the RWD variants) but not a deal-breaker.

Originally Posted by 911Dreamer
I must be insane because 10 months in and the daily driver Targa (Only Car) has been very practical for me. Buts a Targa is the best of the coupe/cab.
The first time I came across a Targa and saw the hatch in action my eyebrows were activated. I love a hatch! But, whereas they were once a purist’s nightmare, their relative scarcity has driven the price up on them in recent years, it seems. And admittedly, while I can live with the glass roof, I’m still not a huge fan of those 996.2/turbo headlights. I’m a shallow bastard.

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
You can add up all the dollar amounts in that binder and get a feel for what some of this stuff costs. And if that binder has receipts for things done more recently, those aren’t repairs you will have to make again most likely.

All that said, I’ve spent $18k over 7 years with my 996, which is now eligible for antique license plates.

PORSCHE: Plenty Of Receipts, Sorry Can’t Have Everything.

Then again, that $18k was on a $18k purchase price, and the car is easily now worth $28k, so it really only cost me $100/month, which is less than my wife’s gym membership. You can spend a lot more money on many other things.

Finally, a lifelong dream to own a Porsche doesn’t have to happen at 25 years old or 45 years old. Plenty of folks do it at 60 and have 25+ years to enjoy and sleep well at night.

At the end of the day, you’re looking for a good looking, fun car, for $20k, and there’s a lot to choose from: Ford Mustang GT

Mazda Miata

Acura Integra R

Ford Focus SVT/ST

Nissan Z

Honda Civic R (too expensive?)

Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ

Mini Cooper S /JCW
I aim to snap pics of the past few years’ worth of receipts so that I can pore over them at home and ask you all about anything that’s totally alien to me.

I do worry slightly about the resale value of a 996 that already has over 140,000 miles on it, service history be damned. There’s a price floor for a running Porsche, obviously, provide I keep up with maintenance, but I feel like every mile added at this point might make it harder to sell. I know I’d certainly have qualms about buying a 996 with, say, 200K miles on it, despite that being a sort of implicit endorsement of its longevity. Surely nothing can last forever (can it?)

And yes, I’ve run the gamut of other fun cars in that price range and the only thing I feel palatable is a GTI or Golf R—I mean in terms of a cars that are fun to drive but also suit my personal style. The base Carrera has a sort of maturity and elegance about it that sets it apart from the others. It’s probably just “a German thing”. I can’t really pull off the American muscle car vibe or the Asian boy-racer look. It just ain’t me.

Anyway, thanks again, y’all. I will report back with my findings after my first date with the C4 this evening.
Mike Murphy (08-01-2024)
Old 08-02-2024 | 05:39 PM
Johnny LaRue
Intermediate

Quick Reply: You Can’t Have Too Many Buying Advice Threads (a Buying Advice Thread)!