Received 1,184 Likes on 757 Posts

You're not holding your mouth right...
The following users liked this post:
wildbilly32 (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 02:15 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 214 Likes on 136 Posts

I dropped my fob this spring and it works no more.

Does the T-Lock work with the alarm? When I open the door with the key, I have to put the key in the ignition or the alarm goes off. Does the T-lock disable the alarm?
Old 07-18-2024, 04:24 PM
dsbl
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 59 Posts

I don't have to rush to the ignition when unlocking with the key, so you may have a different issue there. The unit is tapping pin 35 (door lock cylinder close) and 15 (unprime door) according to the wiring diagram in the workshop manual.
Old 07-18-2024, 05:09 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
Too much heartache and financial loss associated with malfunctioning or damaged immobilizers in these cars to risk it IMHO. I'd say, just bite the bullet and buy the darn keyfob from your local Porsche dealership.
I wish it was just a plug and play harness that goes between the existing connector and the DME. That would be easy.
GarrettSR5 (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 05:24 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,902 Likes on 1,039 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
I wish it was just a plug and play harness that goes between the existing connector and the DME. That would be easy.
That's what I would expect... and, a solid guarantee that it wouldn’t do any harm the alarm module.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 07-18-2024 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-18-2024, 06:20 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,482 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by dsbl
I'm still not in love with tapping wires since you're punching through insulation and touching the copper, obviously its generally fine, but any chance to introduce electrical gremlins is no fun also good luck asking a shop to help track down random electrical stuff if you've done taps in the area.
Those ScotchLoc connectors are a deal breaker for me. Whether I see them in some type of 'kit' or something wired in a car on BaT, I'm not touching it.

The following 2 users liked this post by SoCal911t:
996love (07-19-2024), wyovino (07-20-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 06:27 PM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
Those ScotchLoc connectors are a deal breaker for me. Whether I see them in some type of 'kit' or something wired in a car on BaT, I'm not touching it.

Same. It's such a hack way to wire something
996love (07-19-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 07:22 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Yes that is correct.. There is a 10 digit code that comes with each key FOB, without that code there is nothing a Dealer can do, even with PIWIS........
Where would said code be? scribbled on a business card tucked into the owners manual? Taped to the underside of the dash? Engraved on the chassis somewhere?

I have a '99 996 and both fobs were a disaster when I got them. Changing batteries did nothing, so I know its the internal electronics. I'm not suffering without the remote lock; I just use the key itself.

Curious about the mystery code, though.
Old 07-22-2024, 07:55 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,645 Likes on 2,105 Posts

Originally Posted by Einsteiger
Where would said code be? scribbled on a business card tucked into the owners manual? Taped to the underside of the dash? Engraved on the chassis somewhere?

I have a '99 996 and both fobs were a disaster when I got them. Changing batteries did nothing, so I know its the internal electronics. I'm not suffering without the remote lock; I just use the key itself.

Curious about the mystery code, though.

The 10 digit codes for each key FOB is for "security" and is kept secret and is not available..

A new replacement key FOB will come with a paper tag with the new unique 10 digit code used to program it to the car using PIWIS...after the new replacement FOB has been programmed to the car what happens to the paper tag varies...but it can get thrown away, or attached to the repair order and put in the Dealership file ,or stapled to the owners manual for future use...there is no Official set procedure for the 10 digit code, but it is a Security issue...
Einsteiger (07-23-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 08:09 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll be honest. I rather just not lock the doors. If they want to steal a 25 year old car, so be it. They stil have to deal with the immobilizer handshake with the RFID pill to start the car.

That said, many years ago, when one of my keys had the circuit board stop functioning, I got 3 new keyfobs and had them coded and 2 remain in envelopes. I don't lock the car when it's in the garage.
The following 2 users liked this post by jyoteen:
Einsteiger (07-23-2024), GarrettSR5 (07-22-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 10:06 AM
dsbl
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 59 Posts

Its a mess, these fobs are almost 30 year old tech at this point, they probably use some flavor of keeloq and probably could fall to some of the keeloq attacks which were publicized in the late 2000s, best case scenario would be that the fob's original code could be recovered through either a side channel or crypto weakness (not just dumping it from the fob memory) after recording a bunch of its transmissions. This may help some who have "working" fobs which are out of sync and could just be re-synced, but the overall pool of used keyfobs for sale isn't going to be large enough to make this a durable cheap source of replacements. If the immobilizer firmware can be dumped and reversed it could be possible to build a diy fob which could correctly pair to the immobilizer, but anyone trying to sell these at any scale would need to clear them through the FCC and maybe have Porsche be unhappy with them. This is all just for the remote unlocking component, the rfid pill for starting the car should basically be fine forever and you can transfer it from keyhead to keyhead.

The tlock approach of strapping on an entire standalone box to do the remote unlock part seems like the only path to cheap fobs, but the wire splicing does not spark joy. A cool product would be a watertight box for the immobilizer which terminates the connections outside of the box and passes them to the immobilizer so you don't have to play the sealant game, and also integrates a standalone fob receiver.

Quick Reply: Key fob BS