Sponsored by:

Frunk Won't Open With Button

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 12:53 PM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Frunk Won't Open With Button

The Frunk on my 2001 C4 Cab won't open using the button inside the cabin. I checked the fuse (D7-15A) and it was good, so I assume that the little solenoid that actuates the release cable has gone the way of Elvis.

Just making double sure before I order, but is this the part that I'll need to replace?

​​​​​​https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...11-127-00-M100
Old 05-22-2024, 07:56 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 83 Posts

Silly question but not listed in your post... I assume the battery is good and not dead?

It does seem like once every month there is a post from someone who cannot get into their frunk. Why any manufacturer went away from a simple handle cable pull combo I have know idea.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:30 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,773 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by SSDVC
The Frunk on my 2001 C4 Cab won't open using the button inside the cabin. I checked the fuse (D7-15A) and it was good, so I assume that the little solenoid that actuates the release cable has gone the way of Elvis.

Just making double sure before I order, but is this the part that I'll need to replace?

​​​​​​https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...11-127-00-M100
Just know, while the actuators will go bad, it could be simply the switch.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:00 PM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Zeus - Just FYSA, mine is the electric setup, not manual. Do you have a part number for the switch (I assume you mean the one by the drivers door)? I'll check Youtube for a troubleshoot/repair video.

KC - I got in the frunk ok. One of the first things I did when I got the car was relocate that emergency cable. (thanks Rennlist !!) And yes, as far as battery and fuses, I have ruled out the usual suspects (and everything, including the rear engine hatch release, works fine)
Old 05-22-2024, 11:14 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,773 Likes on 975 Posts

Zeus - Just FYSA, mine is the electric setup, not manual. Do you have a part number for the switch (I assume you mean the one by the drivers door)?
Yes, I mean the electrical switch on the door sill.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...BoCMO0QAvD_BwE

The following 2 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
996-CAB (05-23-2024), SSDVC (05-23-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 11:47 PM
996love
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

KC - I got in the frunk ok. One of the first things I did when I got the car was relocate that emergency cable. (thanks Rennlist !!) And yes, as far as battery and fuses, I have ruled out the usual suspects (and everything, including the rear engine hatch release, works fine)
How were you able to pop the frunk? With the Emergency release cable?
Old 05-23-2024, 12:15 AM
allcool
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 150 Posts

Zeus - Just FYSA, mine is the electric setup, not manual. Do you have a part number for the switch (I assume you mean the one by the drivers door)? I'll check Youtube for a troubleshoot/repair video.

Thats great you got the trunk open, could help with troubleshooting...

Next thing I'd do is check the solenoid, applying momentary 12v, or start at the other end and pop out the switch and jump it out. That will let you know if you need a switch or solenoid. If those both show good next is to check all connectors and see where the ground/voltage, stops. Many do, but I'd never buy a switch or solenoid unless they tested bad.

Once in a while on my 996.2, the hood/lid release won't work till I put the key in, maybe if the car hasn't been driven for a while..? Or its my immo doing its soggy thing..? idk

jmo
The following users liked this post:
SSDVC (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 07:54 AM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996love
How were you able to pop the frunk? With the Emergency release cable?
Yes. When I first got the car, one of the first things I did was pull the front bumper, clean off the radiators and condensers and reroute the cable so I could reach it in case something like this happened. Glad I did !!!
The following users liked this post:
996love (05-23-2024)
Old 05-23-2024, 07:58 AM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Car was recently exercised, discovered the frunk wouldn't open at the store. The frunk compartment is clean and dry and latch properly lubed. I'll do some trouble shooting this weekend and post what I find. And, if my old brain remembers, I'll try and take some pics.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:50 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 1,933 Likes on 920 Posts

So I had the worst case scenario, my cable wasn’t connected AND the latch mechanism died. Only way to undue it is from the bottom.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:16 PM
AZPete
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

Car was recently exercised, discovered the frunk wouldn't open at the store. The frunk compartment is clean and dry and latch properly lubed. I'll do some trouble shooting this weekend and post what I find. And, if my old brain remembers, I'll try and take some pics.
Same problem with my 01 cab. After finding power (on/off) at the frunk actuator, I replaced it. Easy fix. Like you, when I got my car I took off the front bumper cover, cleaned everything, and rerouted the frunk manual open cable to the tow hook access. Glad I did that !
Old 05-27-2024, 07:36 PM
SSDVC
Rennlist Member

Ok, after a little troubleshooting and dismantling, I discovered that a mouse had chewed through one of the wires the went from the solenoid to the release mechanism. The mouse stuff looked pretty old, so I don't believe I have a current issue (PO probably didn't even realize Rat Tat Toue was living in there). Anyway, sliced the wire together and all is now right with the world.

Thanks for everyones input. Saved a bit of $$ by trouble shooting first, buying (if needed) parts later.
The following 3 users liked this post by SSDVC:
996love (05-27-2024), AZPete (05-28-2024), ZuffenZeus (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 08:37 PM
KC-CarGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 83 Posts

Rat-tat-touie .... ha. Glad the problem is solved. Not the issue I was expecting, but glad it was solved.

Quick Reply: Frunk Won't Open With Button