Sponsored by:

Hot Engine: Low oil pressure light at idle and passenger side ticking

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 02:17 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,633 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben8jam
Would that only occur when engine fans are on high only? Seems odd right?
It does seem odd, but that system is having a tough time keeping the idle smooth, and that’s its purpose.

Going back to what Porschetech3 said, I think you need to have someone take a look at your car, pull codes, take some measurements, etc. Seems like there are too many variable items at play.
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 02:22 PM
Ben8jam
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by allcool
If you mean OP goes to 1 bar at high rpm, on the op gauge, in the twisties,? stop doing that immediately. You are causing engine damage on extremely expensive m96 internal parts. A new crank is $6k
No I think it's mostly when coasting through turns, if I'm high rev pushing through a turn, there is no way I can pay attention to the pressure gauge.

As said, I'll do a full canyon run and report back (maybe video the gauges or at least make mental notes of "pushing" "coasting" pressure etc) -- especially as pertains to just simply adding more oil seems to settle things....

I'm still shocked two people's covers were backwards and only found out b/c of this thread.

And yes to getting all the more detailed specs/readings...

Last edited by Ben8jam; 05-13-2024 at 02:24 PM.
Porschetech3 (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 07:53 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,482 Likes on 2,026 Posts

No I think it's mostly when coasting through turns, if I'm high rev pushing through a turn, there is no way I can pay attention to the pressure gauge.

As said, I'll do a full canyon run and report back (maybe video the gauges or at least make mental notes of "pushing" "coasting" pressure etc) -- especially as pertains to just simply adding more oil seems to settle things....

I'm still shocked two people's covers were backwards and only found out b/c of this thread.

And yes to getting all the more detailed specs/readings...
It doesn't shock me, after about 50 years professionally in this bussenes , it takes a LOT to shock me...

This makes about 5 of these cases of incorrectly installed scavenge pumps I have discovered in the last 6 months..People send me private questions about my upgraded products, and are asking questions and sometimes tell me about their problems they are experiencing...The last thing I want to do is sell them a product that doesn't cure thier problem, so when I suspect something else is going on, I tell them to do some testing/checking and this has came to the case several times...It is getting more prevalent...

The upgraded products are to "enhance " the performance of the 996 above the factory design, not to fix a problem of a degraded system.... but it can do BOTH in some cases when the root cause is actually "pinpointed " to be the causal part..and the upgraded part is the same part that had degraded below specs//

Unfortunately sometimes the incorrectly installed scavenge pump is found on a forensic analysis "post mortem" as is the case of a former active Rennlister that contacted me about his catastrophic failure after a recent repair to the vario cam pads...
Old 05-14-2024, 01:19 AM
996love
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

From what i've read, right side of 0 (i don't remember the exact number but have checked via odbii dongle) is acceptable operating temp. I think it depends on where and how you drive. I drive the canyons at 5-7k rpm uphill for 30-40 miles. It's at right edge of 0 on the way up, edge of 8/left of 0 on way down. Freeway driving closer to 8. Cars that don't get pushed I think stay much cooler. Rest of country don't have mountains to climb

yes added Ln's low thermo a few weeks ago.
Okay, glad to hear about the thermostat.

Unless you’re averaging 60mph+ on your canyon runs, you’re not getting optimum air flow through your radiators. (I read it here, on rennlist).

I’d recommend adding a switch to activate your radiator fans. I think it ought to help to lower coolant temps, as well as oil temps, and therefore improving hot oil pressure. If it doesn’t, and you don’t like it, just remove it later.

Also, have you tried clearing any debris from your radiators?
Old 05-14-2024, 06:42 PM
Ben8jam
Racer

Originally Posted by 996love
Unless you’re averaging 60mph+ on your canyon runs, you’re not getting optimum air flow through your radiators. (I read it here, on rennlist).
Ehh well... not sure I should respond to that publicly...
The following 4 users liked this post by Ben8jam:
996love (05-15-2024), allcool (05-14-2024), cboxell (05-14-2024), wdb (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 12:06 AM
996love
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Haha, I suppose the fan mod won’t be necessary, then!
Old 05-16-2024, 04:12 PM
Ben8jam
Racer

Update: Not a perfect test as half the drive up was covered in super thick fog, but once got to top of first climb, broke through to sun. Tried to drive and film my dash one handed, so was being a lot more careful, and i can say the flux in oil pressure in turns is very much there, but it stays around the 2 in the worst of them. It happens on both directions, but seemingly much more on right hand turns. Accelerating in the turn keeps the pressure higher.

Temps go up to the 0 in 180, but never past it. Even with the last half of the drive where I put the phone down and kept it high rev.

I got to the end point, and came to stop, and I did see the oil pressure light come on for a brief second then go off. I then drove another half mile and stopped again, and this time light came on. Pressure indicator at .25.

But a little tap of gas and it went away. From that point it was all back down hill so temps dropped and no issues.

I still need a warm day to properly test, but it seems adding that extra oil has smoothed a lot of the issues, does that make sense? But NOW what about these swaying pressures? It's all gotta be related somehow. It's hard to draw a conclusion, the indicator just kind goes smoothly up and down throughout different maneuvers.

And yes, I need all the extra more detailed tools to test, but I'm working with the limited time I have available right now
Old 05-16-2024, 04:46 PM
Peppaporsche
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Follow-up

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Yes, just loosen the 4 bolts and rotate the pump 180* . Do it ASAP !! How long has it been running like this? I have seen an M96 run for over 10k miles like this with no indicated damage but I have also seen them fail straight away when driven to the extremes....Lots of M96 have failed due to this simple mistake and is the reason on the M97 one bolt hole is "offset " in the head and one bolt hole in the pump is "slotted" on the revised m97 scavenge pumps so this mistake cannot happen..

Good Luck !!
Combined the removal/reseal/install of the pax side (LHD) scavenge pump with a bunch of other projects with her feet off the ground. After clocking the pump properly, I can confirm that the oil pressure is at least .5bar higher throughout the rpm range for normal operating temperature. Additionally, there is minimal to no drop in oil pressure associated with lateral G’s! From looking at the pump while removed I can see that you are definitely reducing the port size for pick up by having it misclocked, and as has been already mentioned you would be in serious trouble if the pump was installed at either of the 90’s.
The following 3 users liked this post by Peppaporsche:
Haalex (05-17-2024), Porschetech3 (05-17-2024), wdb (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 04:55 PM
sublm8
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

Update: Not a perfect test as half the drive up was covered in super thick fog, but once got to top of first climb, broke through to sun. Tried to drive and film my dash one handed, so was being a lot more careful, and i can say the flux in oil pressure in turns is very much there, but it stays around the 2 in the worst of them. It happens on both directions, but seemingly much more on right hand turns.
Drop the sump. You need a visual on the pick up tube and baffles.
Check your oil pressure relief spring too.

Last edited by sublm8; 05-16-2024 at 04:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sublm8:
996love (05-17-2024), Ben8jam (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 06:59 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,144 Likes on 632 Posts

I got to the end point, and came to stop, and I did see the oil pressure light come on for a brief second then go off. I then drove another half mile and stopped again, and this time light came on. Pressure indicator at .25.

But a little tap of gas and it went away. From that point it was all back down hill so temps dropped and no issues.
That sounds like something a 5W-50 oil might help with.
Old 05-17-2024, 03:59 PM
allcool
Racer

Received 203 Likes on 139 Posts

Update: i can say the flux in oil pressure in turns is very much there, but it stays around the 2 in the worst of them.
Like I already said 1-2 bar op is not enough when hard cornering at anything over an idle speed rpm. You need 1 bar per 1000rpm. 4bar @ 4000rpm minimum is what m996 experts recommend. And thats not intermittently thru a corner, thats a continuous steady pressure reading that does not drop. When it drops even a little, some bearing is getting starved from its film of protective oil. I'd rather see a continuous slightly lower full time pressure, than a sudden drop/fluctuation. This type op drop causes a cumulative type damage that compounds the problem by wearing more and more on bearings making them less able to hold their protective oil film and keep up oil pressure. What I'm saying is, every incident of op drop at speed/especially under load, all adds up till eventually....

When your op goes from 4 bar to 2 bar in a hard corner without a big rpm change, you are oil starving main/rod/all/ bearings. This will take its toll eventually maybe with a catastrophic ending.

Don't drive your car so it goes to lower oil pressure in corners or be ready for the wor$t...
996love (05-17-2024)

Quick Reply: Hot Engine: Low oil pressure light at idle and passenger side ticking