996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

First 911: 996 C4S or 40 Jahre?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 01:08 PM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Another vote for the 40 Jahre 911. I own Nr. 0711, having bought it in Aug 2012 with about 67K on the clock. Have 95K now. If you want to know more about that model, in addition to several current owners in this thread, you can visit our worldwide Registry (links in my signature below).
Old 05-10-2024, 02:24 PM
FletcherHubbard
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if it were me I'd say all points towards getting the 40J. Cheaper, unmodified, lighter, more powerful, rarer, etc.

Last edited by FletcherHubbard; 05-10-2024 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:50 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by connect_yvr
Yeah I wish it were easier to find examples to drive. I haven't found most sellers being willing to allow test drives unfortunately.

I also got a PCA 'test drive' membership (their membership for non-porsche owners) and reached out to my local chapter a few times but heard nothing unfortunately.

Appreciate all the input from everyone. Leaning towards the Jahre the more I look into it.

I also spoke with the c4s seller today and found out he was not nice to deal with at all - basically told me to look for another car after I started asking a few basic questions about the service history (oil change frequency, imsb brand, mod history), so that option is off the table now anyways.
<rant>
I don't get these people that want to sell their car privately (and probably want a premium price) but don't want to deal with questions or let people test drive. They need to get over themselves. It's a $30K 25 year old car. Not a $200K Ferrari. If you don't want to deal with people take it to a dealership and trade it in. I think this brand sometimes attracts people with egos who don't like being questioned.
</rant>

If you're really young and seem like you're in over your head I can see why people might not want to offer a test drive. I'm not seeing that in your posts though. When I bought mine 4 out of the 5 of the owners whose cars I physically looked at let me test drive it. The other one might have if I had asked but I was really tired that day and didn't want to deal with it. The first person I dealt with was out of state. He was fine to deal with until I told him I was no longer interested in the car due to oil change frequency. He changed it every 10K miles no matter how many years had gone by. It was 20 years old and had 30K miles on it (so, 3 oil changes in 20 years?). He accused me of trying to get a car at a bargain basement price.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:38 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 106 Posts

A few thoughts:
  • I believe all of the C4S came with full leather interior, so no difference there.
  • The AE may have the M030 option, but the C4S has the Turbo suspension and brakes. (Approximately the Turbo suspension, the springs and shocks are tuned to the C4S). And I can't recall if M030 comes with bigger brakes. Not sure which would be better, but the performance may be about the same.
  • The AE has an LSD, but the AWD in the C4S performs that same function. So no real difference there.
I like the OP's choice based on the seller. When we buy these things we are not just buying the car, we are also buying the seller.
Old 05-11-2024, 02:55 AM
connect_yvr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ssherman68
<rant>
I don't get these people that want to sell their car privately (and probably want a premium price) but don't want to deal with questions or let people test drive. They need to get over themselves. It's a $30K 25 year old car. Not a $200K Ferrari. If you don't want to deal with people take it to a dealership and trade it in. I think this brand sometimes attracts people with egos who don't like being questioned.
</rant>

If you're really young and seem like you're in over your head I can see why people might not want to offer a test drive. I'm not seeing that in your posts though. When I bought mine 4 out of the 5 of the owners whose cars I physically looked at let me test drive it. The other one might have if I had asked but I was really tired that day and didn't want to deal with it. The first person I dealt with was out of state. He was fine to deal with until I told him I was no longer interested in the car due to oil change frequency. He changed it every 10K miles no matter how many years had gone by. It was 20 years old and had 30K miles on it (so, 3 oil changes in 20 years?). He accused me of trying to get a car at a bargain basement price.
Your rant sounds exactly like the C4S seller I dealt with (and won't be buying from). Found a dealer who's willing to let me go for a test drive in a C4S and I'm thinking the 40J owner will let me take it for a spin as well off the back of our meet and greet phone call.

It may be because I look a bit younger than I am - I'm in my mid-30s, but probably look like I'm 25.

Looks like most folks are leaning towards the 40J over a C4S which I am now as well, but I'm hoping the drives will help to solidify my instincts.
The following 2 users liked this post by connect_yvr:
GC996 (05-11-2024), ssherman68 (05-11-2024)
Old 05-11-2024, 10:47 AM
Pnwdbag69
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Syncro
A few thoughts:
  • I believe all of the C4S came with full leather interior, so no difference there.
  • The AE may have the M030 option, but the C4S has the Turbo suspension and brakes. (Approximately the Turbo suspension, the springs and shocks are tuned to the C4S). And I can't recall if M030 comes with bigger brakes. Not sure which would be better, but the performance may be about the same.
  • The AE has an LSD, but the AWD in the C4S performs that same function. So no real difference there.
I like the OP's choice based on the seller. When we buy these things we are not just buying the car, we are also buying the seller.

natural leather > full leather, all day long. Not even close.
lsd and awd are in no way the same thing…

turbo suspension is only different in that it accounts for additional weight in the front end (it’s not any different than the narrow body c4 suspension either). Its not an “upgrade”. M030 IS an upgrade

Last edited by Pnwdbag69; 05-11-2024 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:48 AM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 165 Posts

Your rant sounds exactly like the C4S seller I dealt with (and won't be buying from). Found a dealer who's willing to let me go for a test drive in a C4S and I'm thinking the 40J owner will let me take it for a spin as well off the back of our meet and greet phone call.

It may be because I look a bit younger than I am - I'm in my mid-30s, but probably look like I'm 25.

Looks like most folks are leaning towards the 40J over a C4S which I am now as well, but I'm hoping the drives will help to solidify my instincts.
Definitely drive the cars before you buy. Any update yet?
The following 2 users liked this post by 2mAn:
cqhall (05-16-2024), peterp (05-16-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 04:30 AM
connect_yvr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2mAn
Definitely drive the cars before you buy. Any update yet?
Got to check out the 40J today. Super nice owner - let me take it for a spin and took me on some local roads where I was able to open it up a couple of times. I was surprised with how free revving the engine was and how much midrange torque was available (my only real comparison is a 2007 Boxster I last drove almost 10 years ago though). It's a way more beautiful car in person than in photos. I think it's hard to capture how curvy the narrow body is in photos. Minimal options on this one - just power seats, Bose, and a CD changer; it's very much a driver's car. The only bummer is there are no records before the current owner (who's had it since 2015) and this includes no records of the IMSB replacement (reportedly done at 63k km). Also no records of even a minor service being done and the owner has only done annual oil changes (albeit the car has been trouble-free for him for almost 9 years).

The stars seem to have aligned and I'm set-up for a test drive of a C4S on Saturday. Will see how I feel after that!
The following 3 users liked this post by connect_yvr:
cqhall (05-17-2024), Mike Murphy (05-17-2024), peterp (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 07:50 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,215 Likes on 661 Posts

40AE cars have the X51 engine package. Cams, head work, tune, some oiling stuff too. That is going to be a livelier engine than a standard M9x.
The following users liked this post:
plpete84 (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 11:23 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,770 Likes on 903 Posts

I've dubbed the 40AE the GTS of the 996 gen, which means that it already came with most of the good options from factory. There wasn't much you could add to it besides the comfort seats (sport seats were the default actually but for some reason many cars in US were spec'd with comfort seats) and navigation unit. It seems like you liked the car and the owner seems to be reasonable. I'd factor in the IMS and a service into the offer and go from there. Sadly, if no records, you don't want to go by someone's word. Get a solid PPI and proceed accordingly.
The following 3 users liked this post by plpete84:
TAZ40JAHRE (05-23-2024), tsaint117 (05-22-2024), wdb (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 12:28 PM
gbarron
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 141 Posts

Got to check out the 40J today. Super nice owner - let me take it for a spin and took me on some local roads where I was able to open it up a couple of times. I was surprised with how free revving the engine was and how much midrange torque was available (my only real comparison is a 2007 Boxster I last drove almost 10 years ago though). It's a way more beautiful car in person than in photos. I think it's hard to capture how curvy the narrow body is in photos. Minimal options on this one - just power seats, Bose, and a CD changer; it's very much a driver's car. The only bummer is there are no records before the current owner (who's had it since 2015) and this includes no records of the IMSB replacement (reportedly done at 63k km). Also no records of even a minor service being done and the owner has only done annual oil changes (albeit the car has been trouble-free for him for almost 9 years).

The stars seem to have aligned and I'm set-up for a test drive of a C4S on Saturday. Will see how I feel after that!
If the IMS was replaced with an LN Engineering product (and correctly registered) you can check the VIN here to see if it is on file: https://lnengineering.com/ims-lookup.html
Old 05-21-2024, 05:25 PM
Eric Black
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

definately 40J. and i know many people wont agree, but you could then throw the oem aerokit wing on the back as well. then youll really be able to make it "your own".

But thats just me lol
Old 05-22-2024, 01:42 PM
connect_yvr
Intermediate

Update, for those who are interested.

I drove the C4S on Saturday and was frankly underwhelmed after having driven the 40th AE. I think the combination of the X51 engine, suspension, RWD, and lighter weight (~400 lbs!) in the 40th AE really give it a lot more zip and road feel compared to the C4S which felt sluggish in comparison. The C4S does, in my opinion, have the more beautiful lines and I still love the reflector bar, but as a driving machine, the 40th AE takes the cake easily.

Really glad I took the time and effort to drive both cars before making a decision. I totally get the "sheep in wolf's clothing" analogy that so many people use when describing the C4S. I'm going to move forward with negotiating the 40th AE (which isn't quite as well sorted as I had thought, but hopefully the seller will be reasonable with negotiations).
The following 8 users liked this post by connect_yvr:
cqhall (05-24-2024), GC996 (05-22-2024), hardtailer (05-22-2024), Mike Murphy (05-22-2024), peterp (05-22-2024), plpete84 (05-22-2024), sdematt (05-22-2024), ZuffenZeus (05-22-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-22-2024, 02:04 PM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 279 Posts

Great to hear!

I lived in Vancouver for 30 years, and I'd say unless you were planning on going skiing every weekend, you don't need AWD, just some good all seasons...

Best of luck on the 40J! Had I known better when I was first buying my 911 C2, I probably would have searched out a 40J instead...
Old 05-22-2024, 02:08 PM
Eric Black
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

That's actually really good to hear.

Hopefully you can pick up the 40J for a good price! Good Luck!

Quick Reply: First 911: 996 C4S or 40 Jahre?