996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996.2 C2 front lip options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2024, 03:25 AM
circuit.heart
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 140 Posts

The Cup lip fits well on most of the base bumper, but the black plastic triangle spats near the wheels push the "legs" of the lip downward so it's not perfect. You can definitely make your own for just the cost of some spacers, some sheet plastic, and an angle grinder or scroll saw. I'm planning to do one myself in a few more weeks, using the OEM spats as part of the design.

Last edited by circuit.heart; 01-14-2024 at 03:42 AM.
Old 01-14-2024, 04:54 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,029 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by circuit.heart
The Cup lip fits well on most of the base bumper, but the black plastic triangle spats near the wheels push the "legs" of the lip downward so it's not perfect. You can definitely make your own for just the cost of some spacers, some sheet plastic, and an angle grinder or scroll saw. I'm planning to do one myself in a few more weeks, using the OEM spats as part of the design.
A Dremel solves the 1” excess. Test fit, mark and trim.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:00 AM
circuit.heart
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
A Dremel solves the 1” excess. Test fit, mark and trim.
Nah that's not my complaint. I'm not a fan of the line of the lip going under the triangle - I want it to intersect. You'll see what I'm getting at once I've worked through more of my design backlog.
Old 01-14-2024, 08:10 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 687 Posts

Next question -- Street Quality, OEM-Quality, or Race Quality? I'm less concerned about minor imperfections and more concerned with how it holds up. For one thing I suspect it's going to scrape at the end of the driveway! So my thought is to go with "Race Quality". Quoting their site:

We offer three distinct options for this spoiler:
  1. Street Quality Part: This variant is crafted from a slightly stiffer material than the original but maintains the same semi-gloss finish and a low level of imperfections, reminiscent of the original part.
  2. OEM-Quality Part: For those who value the original look and feel, this option is made from the same material as the original spoiler. Its glossy surface may exhibit minor imperfections from the plastic injection molding process.
  3. Race Quality Part: This part, also made from the same material as the original, boasts a glossy finish and a unique flexibility that sets it apart. While it may display minor imperfections due to the molding process, its flexibility makes it an ideal choice for race enthusiasts.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:19 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,234 Posts

I bought the GT3 front splitter from Demonspeed for my 996.2 C2 right after Porsche discontinued making them. At the time I paid $200 for it. They only had the GT3 street version and GT3 cup versions. The GT3 Cup version is a bigger lip so i went with the GT3 street. No street, oem or race versions as defined by quality was available at the time. This looks to be a relatively new option. My guess is the one they sent me was of OEM quality. It looks great. I'll post close up pictures after I find them.

Unless they use different plastic to make the different "quality" front lips, they are going to break if you put enough pressure on them while backing out of a driveway or pulling into a driveway or parking spot and you catch the lip on something. While the plastic has some flexibility such as if you are trying to fit it to a Carrera bumper on a warm day, it will break.

At $165, they are cheap, spray paintable and easily replaceable. Mine came with the holes already drilled. So you will need to drill holes on your front bumper, but I assume that the location of the holes on every lip are the same, so replacement can be very easy.

I would welcome a more flexible rubbery version that would bend and not break but haven't found one yet. Demonspeed also has a 3 piece GT3 front lip so you can replace the areas that break versus the whole thing. You can even choose the 3 piece in carbon fiber. But the 3 piece version is much more expensive.

I think Tex has the right idea. If you put one on, have another in the garage as a just in case. You are eventually gonna break it. But at $165, does it matter that much? Dunno.

While I am still looking for another option that will be more durable from Demonspeed (hint), it seems to be the only choice available at present time.
The following users liked this post:
wdb (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 09:27 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 572 Posts

The reason for the clips and sticky tape is if you hit something or scrape a speed bump that grabs the lip, it does not destroy the bumper.

I've had that happen a few times and the cost of a new spoiler is far, far cheaper than a bumper.

I carry a set of extra clips in the trunk.
The following users liked this post:
wdb (01-14-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 09:36 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,234 Posts

The demonspeed plastic is brittle enough that it won't hurt the bumper. Plastic will shatter. The biggest pita will be the time it will take to unscrew the shattered lip and putting a new one on.

Last edited by GC996; 01-14-2024 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply: 996.2 C2 front lip options?