Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Mythbuster: Are the early builds ‘special’?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2023, 04:59 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,647 Likes on 2,106 Posts

Originally Posted by gbarron
The term "special" is subjective to the person using it. What is special to you may have very little meaning to me. I would venture that most all of us 996 owners feel like our car is special regardless of MY, build date, options, etc. If we want to extrapolate special into "unique" or "rare" then I would argue there are many variations of the 996 over it's production cycle that could fit into these monikers. Are the .1 early cars different than the .1 later cars? Absolutely, just as the .2 cars are different from the .1 cars. Porsche was continously evolving the 996 from the very first day of production which naturally created differences over the years. Case in point...would your 6/98 be any more special than my C2 Aerokit/X51/sunroof delete built in January of 2000? To you...probably...to me, not so much. Así es la vida.
If you have a .1 with X51 ,aero, and no sunroof, I would say it is just as "special" as any early car, unless it is also an X51 car...
Old 10-24-2023, 05:14 PM
gbarron
Pro

Received 261 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
If you have a .1 with X51 ,aero, and no sunroof, I would say it is just as "special" as any early car, unless it is also an X51 car...
I do...and agree.
Old 10-24-2023, 05:17 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 375 Likes on 159 Posts

I heard in a podcast that the 98/99' M96 cylinder head castings are more robust. However, I had a set of 99' heads next to a set of heads from my 01' and I can't tell any obvious differences.

--Aaron

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 10-24-2023, 05:24 PM
gbarron
Pro

Originally Posted by RennPart
I heard in a podcast that the 98/99' M96 cylinder head castings are more robust. However, I had a set of 99' heads next to a set of heads from my 01' and I can't tell any obvious differences.

--Aaron
Brian Long's book titled Porsche 911: The Definitive History 1997 to 2004 is a good read when it comes to non-visual production changes over the years. It appears he had a Porsche insider on his Rolodex as he discusses many engineering changes between years that I had not heard of before.

Last edited by gbarron; 10-24-2023 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2023, 06:10 PM
Garage19builds
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 20 Posts

regarding Traction Control/ LSD and 100% Annalog1999 Carrera only regarding option 220/Traction Control /lsd option code/ traction control consists of two separate items, Active Brake Differential (ABD) and Anti Slip Regulation (ASR). When one of the rear wheels begins to lose traction, the ABD applies the brake to that wheel. If both wheels lose traction, the ASR reduces engine power until traction is regained. The Traction Control switch on the dash turns off the ASR, but not the ABD. The ABD is always in effect until you reach 65 mph, at which time it automatically deactivates. Because the ABD is always in effect and is applying braking not under your control.MY99 From the tech manualThe LSD on a MY99 is only 40%.To get the engine’s power safely to the road in a standing start, slip is limited to 40 percent. Once under power, the slip factor changes to 60 percent because the engine no longer is operating at its maximum torque and also because this configuration helps minimize oversteer under load changes through a turn. TC was only around for the C2 in MY99. Traction Control (TC) is a combination of anti-slip control (ASR) and Automatic Brake Differential (ABD). TC prevents spinning of the drive wheels when moving off and accelerating. It does this through a series of sensors (also used by the ABS system) and controlling individual wheel braking. By doing so driving stability and traction are improved over the entire speed range. PSM includes the functions: ABS, Traction Control (TC), ABD, MSR (engine drag torque control). ABD is part of TC and was not sold separately - together they formed the early version of PSM. The official name (in the Porsche parts list) for option 224 is "Automatic Limited Slip Differential". There are no parts in the parts list that identify with a M 224 label - so what is it? ABD. Technically the option 220 "Locking Differential 40%" is also "automatic" since the multiple-disc limited-slip differential causes locking when one wheel begins to slip. This is the mechanical LSD you all know. Its not like a possi traction rear end, it works off of computer parameters that involve braking or power reduction all of which is out of the drivers control. The one to have is the MY99 without TC option , no TC button, no power reduction no computer braking. Your foot and your foot only controls the power to the wheels no matter if its spinning 1 or 2 tires at any speed you're in control of the power.99.9% of the " Porsche enthusiasts" have it wrong the one you want is that one if you're an Annalog guy, track car guy.That does not have have a traction control button on the dash because it does not have traction control, there is no computer system or limiter reducing power to the wheels or braking, spinning or not. Cars equipped with TC hence the TC on off button will reduce power to the wheels on or off during certain conditions listed above. The throttle cable cars with no TC button , spin the tires until you let off the pedal. There is no driver aids and This was the only year it was possible to have a truly Annalog optioned watercooled 911. The lsd option that was paired with the TC button is another form of power reduction/limited-slip that works on a 60/40 power split explained above . The no tc, no tc dash button 6 speed manual cars could have came with the getrag G96 with mechanical limited-slip rear differential that works like a possi traction rear end, if you know how a limited-slip rear differential works you can easily know if your car has it or not with your rear tires off the ground and trying to spin them in opposite directions. Theres no option code associated with that transmission/ diff combination but if the car was ordered this way it could be on the window sticker mentioned with LSA / rear suspension. This was the only 100% Annalog Watercooled 911 option combination produced, and also the lightest Factory street legal Watercooled 911s ever produced. Lighter than the 996 GT3, which is also egas, computer/ power out put controlled. The first 3649 were hand assembled. I have a no tc, no obc, no egas, no psm, throttle cable m30 suspension , option 408 wheels , getrag 6 speed with mechanical limited-slip rear differential ordered and built late 97 stamped Jan 98 With all of the paper work from order to present day. They're very rare, very different raw driver type cars truly a unique feeling from any other 996.
Old 10-24-2023, 06:16 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Your car isn’t 100% analog… you have ABS. Would highly not suggest trying to run at the track without it.

Speaking from experience.
Old 10-24-2023, 06:34 PM
Garage19builds
Advanced

ABS doesn't interfere with acceleration unless your foots on the brake. Take your foot off the brake speaking from experience
Old 10-24-2023, 06:41 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Garage19builds
ABS doesn't interfere with acceleration unless your foots on the brake. Take your foot off the brake speaking from experience
Bahahahahahahahahaha.

K. So analog only matters when it comes to acceleration. Who knew. So I guess active dampers would be OK, or electronic diff, active aero etc…

Your car is special, and so are you.
Old 10-24-2023, 06:41 PM
philbert996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,159 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Haha. Aren't they (996s) all special like snowflakes? What about the ones with unicorn colors and a Porsche umbrella?

An early build with M030 suspension, lsd, sport seats, 408s and an umbrella is extra special.

Originally Posted by zbomb
Could it be the people that own them find them special and the rest of us….. not so much ?
No but I think you’re special

There are two types of people:
Those who acknowledge the greatness of early build 996s.
And those who deny the greatness of the early build 996s.

The following 2 users liked this post by philbert996:
EVOMMM (10-25-2023), Patunia (10-24-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 06:50 PM
gbarron
Pro

Originally Posted by Garage19builds
The first 3649 were hand assembled.
Please provide your source for this quoted claim.
Old 10-24-2023, 06:53 PM
gbarron
Pro

Originally Posted by philbert996
Hey now...no playing favorites...we're all special!!
The following users liked this post:
philbert996 (10-25-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 07:40 PM
Garage19builds
Advanced

Bahahahahahahahahaha.

K. So analog only matters when it comes to acceleration. Who knew. So I guess active dampers would be OK, or electronic diff, active aero etc…

just because Porsche didn't run them on select track cars/race circuits prior to the 992 doesn't mean that's the definition. Abs has been mandatory on new us cars since 2011, and once you step out side of your own *** and experience life you'll be surprised to learn that abs hasn't been a disqualification of what's considered annalog for 20 years. Haggerty defines Annalog as any aid beyond ABS and well so does everyone else. My cigarette lighter also releases on its own when it's ready that's not a disqualification either. By your definition there's an entire industry of car collectors, auction houses, collector car insurance companies really confused on the subject alot of miss represented cars and air cooled 911s out there. They haven't met you yet apparently.
Old 10-24-2023, 07:45 PM
Garage19builds
Advanced

Bahahahahahahahahaha.

just because Porsche didn't run them on select track cars/race circuits prior to the 992 doesn't mean that's the definition. Abs has been mandatory on new us cars since 2011, and once you step out side of your own *** and experience life you'll be surprised to learn that abs hasn't been a disqualification of what's considered annalog for 20 years. Haggerty defines Annalog as any aid beyond ABS and well so does everyone else. My cigarette lighter also releases on its own when it's ready that's not a disqualification either. By your definition there's an entire industry of car collectors, auction houses, collector car insurance companies really confused on the subject alot of miss represented cars and air cooled 911s out there. They haven't met you yet apparently. If you met me in person you would find out real fast how special I am but if that was the situation you wouldn't be running your mouth either no one ever does except on the internet where everyone feels safe to say anything to anyone. I'm sorry you weren't held enough as a child you're still special to me even if I think my cars special there's always room in my heart for you big guy. You're special too❤️
Old 10-24-2023, 08:02 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Out of curiosity, did you ever own a STI or WRX ?

I’m sorry your car is ugly and slow… at least it’s light and analog.

Good luck with it.
TheChunkNorris (10-25-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 08:11 PM
Patunia
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by philbert996
An early build with M030 suspension, lsd, sport seats, 408s and an umbrella is extra special.

There are two types of people:
Those who acknowledge the greatness of early build 996s.
And those who deny the greatness of the early build 996s.
Hey philbert
we have basically the same build, took me owning a .2 for a few years, thinking I would upgrade to a 40AE. Found this early build close enough that I jumped on it in march.
Not sure what wheels it came with from the factory,now it has 993 part # hollow spokes.
philbert996 (10-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Mythbuster: Are the early builds ‘special’?