Sponsored by:

Crank no start 2000 CAB

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2022, 10:08 PM
bimmerwrench
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank no start 2000 CAB

I picked up this 2000 cab that's been sitting since early 2000. I replaced plugs and coils, fuel filter and fuel pump, and crank position sensor, new battery and fresh fuel. Sent the DME and immobilizer out and they both had no issues. Cranks strong, no start. I've tried starting fluid, no real luck. Out of the blue it will sputter and act like it wants to start, but never really runs. Hooked up Durametric and only code it has it Crank position sensor. if you clear it and crank it it comes right back. So maybe another bad sensor or wiring issue? Any thoughts on Where I should look next.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:42 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 757 Posts

Seriously? It has been sitting for 22 years? Wow! If the code is for the CPS, then check or replace it (again) and check all the wiring. 22 years is a long time to sit.....
Old 10-17-2022, 08:46 AM
bimmerwrench
6th Gear

Sorry 2020 typo not 2000
Old 10-17-2022, 01:30 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Use your durametric to watch engine RPM. Then crank it with the starter. The engine RPM should show more than 0. I bet the engine RPM will continue to show 0 while cranking. That means either the crank sensor is bad or there is a wiring problem. Look for mouse eaten wires in the engine compartment.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:19 AM
bimmerwrench
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bimmerwrench
I picked up this 2000 cab that's been sitting since early 2000. I replaced plugs and coils, fuel filter and fuel pump, and crank position sensor, new battery and fresh fuel. Sent the DME and immobilizer out and they both had no issues. Cranks strong, no start. I've tried starting fluid, no real luck. Out of the blue it will sputter and act like it wants to start, but never really runs. Hooked up Durametric and only code it has it Crank position sensor. if you clear it and crank it it comes right back. So maybe another bad sensor or wiring issue? Any thoughts on Where I should look next.
Update,

Replaced crank sensor again. Same code. Used a good donor harness and pulled the crank sensor wiring out of harness. Unpinned old harness and used new harness, same code... crank sensor. RPM needle is bouncing on tack when you crank it. Repaired oxygen sensor wiring that was chewed up in right rear. Going to recheck all the fuses and relays. About to light this project on fire and move on.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:33 AM
Dana Whicker
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Where are you located? I might be interested in the car if you want to be done with it.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:21 PM
bimmerwrench
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Dana Whicker
Where are you located? I might be interested in the car if you want to be done with it.
I'm In upstate NY. After digging into this cars cluttered past. it looks the car was running last summer according to auction footage photos. For now I'll keep pushing forward and do more wire testing.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:23 PM
Dana Whicker
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmerwrench
I'm In upstate NY. After digging into this cars cluttered past. it looks the car was running last summer according to auction footage photos. For now I'll keep pushing forward and do more wire testing.
OK, Best of luck to you.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:27 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,465 Likes on 1,824 Posts

I guess u could have a flywheel issue? Maybe there is a problem with the tone ring?
Old 10-26-2022, 12:43 PM
bimmerwrench
6th Gear

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
I guess u could have a flywheel issue? Maybe there is a problem with the tone ring?
I was thinking possibly the same thing, but the car was running fine in the auction listing. Then just sat at a Body shop in NYC I'm still leaning toward a broken wire or rodent chewed between the engine harness and DME.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:29 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 225 Posts

I understand you replace the CPS, If you don't have access to Durametric, you can eliminate the CPS by cranking the engine and observing the tach and see if it is bouncing the tach needle, if not I would check wiring.
Old 10-26-2022, 03:59 PM
bimmerwrench
6th Gear

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
I understand you replace the CPS, If you don't have access to Durametric, you can eliminate the CPS by cranking the engine and observing the tach and see if it is bouncing the tach needle, if not I would check wiring.
Yes I Have a Durametric Professional. If you watch RPM'S the needle does move a little, but if you watch live data in Durametric it shows zero. I have pulled the crank sensor wiring out of a spare harness i have and repinned it back into the engine harness. Same issue. Now I m up too checking all the wires from the two harness plugs up to the DME for damage and continuity.
Old 10-26-2022, 05:15 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,465 Likes on 1,824 Posts

My guess is the mice got to the wires where they go through the back fire wall. They like to eat it here u cant see or reach it.

Quick Reply: Crank no start 2000 CAB