Sponsored by:

HELP! Going mad removing expansion tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 10:48 PM
rmikebaker
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Default HELP! Going mad removing expansion tank

I think I've read every thread here on replacing the coolant expansion tank, as well as watching numerous "how to" videos (Raby, FCP Euro, plus many others), but when it came time to replace my tank today, it sure felt like nothing was going as easy as in the videos (I know, imagine that). I've detached all the hoses, disconnected the fluid level sensor, etc., all the standard stuff. At first, I didn't disconnect any fuel lines, but I saw at least one was really going to be an issue (not in the videos, surprisingly). I tried to remove both ends, but neither would budge, so I wound up just cutting it in the middle for now. I'll have to get a new hose (can't find the part # yet) or maybe splice in a hose connector after I'm finished. If anybody knows the magic to remove it, please let me know.

I removed the valve on the top of the tank, cut off part of the lower hose connector, cut off the hose retainer on the top of the tank, etc., but nothing is working to allow me to get the tank out. I tried to remove the black connector at the top, to give me more room, but I could only get one of the bolts out. I've lowered the engine to what (I think) is the lowest point I can go. If I go any further, the cats are going to be hitting the lower lip of the heat shield/bumper cover. Maybe that's nothing to worry about.

I've attached a few pics for reference. Any additional tips are greatly appreciated. I'm completely frustrated at this point.

Missing valve and completely disengaged from the black connector.

I cut off the hose connector, and also cut one of the fuel (right?) lines and pushed it out of the way.

No more hose "holder" to get in the way.

Old 04-16-2022, 11:12 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rmikebaker
I think I've read every thread here on replacing the coolant expansion tank, as well as watching numerous "how to" videos (Raby, FCP Euro, plus many others), but when it came time to replace my tank today, it sure felt like nothing was going as easy as in the videos (I know, imagine that). I've detached all the hoses, disconnected the fluid level sensor, etc., all the standard stuff. At first, I didn't disconnect any fuel lines, but I saw at least one was really going to be an issue (not in the videos, surprisingly). I tried to remove both ends, but neither would budge, so I wound up just cutting it in the middle for now. I'll have to get a new hose (can't find the part # yet) or maybe splice in a hose connector after I'm finished. If anybody knows the magic to remove it, please let me know.

I removed the valve on the top of the tank, cut off part of the lower hose connector, cut off the hose retainer on the top of the tank, etc., but nothing is working to allow me to get the tank out. I tried to remove the black connector at the top, to give me more room, but I could only get one of the bolts out. I've lowered the engine to what (I think) is the lowest point I can go. If I go any further, the cats are going to be hitting the lower lip of the heat shield/bumper cover. Maybe that's nothing to worry about.

I've attached a few pics for reference. Any additional tips are greatly appreciated. I'm completely frustrated at this point.

Missing valve and completely disengaged from the black connector.

I cut off the hose connector, and also cut one of the fuel (right?) lines and pushed it out of the way.

No more hose "holder" to get in the way.
Not sure this advice will help you, but this worked for me. I lowered the engine as much as i could and then my friend laid on the ground and with his feet and legs pushed the engined to the right allowing the tank to come right out and the new one put in. Was easy..
Old 04-16-2022, 11:31 PM
rmikebaker
Advanced

Originally Posted by pmkazz
Not sure this advice will help you, but this worked for me. I lowered the engine as much as i could and then my friend laid on the ground and with his feet and legs pushed the engined to the right allowing the tank to come right out and the new one put in. Was easy..
Hmmm..... I think I recall reading that here in the forums, but honestly, didn't give it a lot of thought. Time to find a friend with some strong legs
Old 04-17-2022, 01:52 AM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

I am in the process of replacing my 2003 3.6L tank. The only way that I was able to remove the tank, is when I broke the black tank holder on one corner, then I was able to remove it.

I am installing a new tank tomorrow. My plan is to install it first, then push as far forward as it will go, then install a new black mounting bracket and hope that I can slide it in.
Old 04-17-2022, 08:10 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

All I can say is I’m glad you’re not my mechanic… Just cutting a bunch of stuff to get it out of the way is totally counter productive! Do you at least have replacements for the parts you destroyed? If not, you should start looking for them and ordering now…this should at least help you when you’re ready to start putting things back together…
Old 04-17-2022, 08:39 AM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Not the best video, but it might help.
the key is the installation and removal of the black bracket.
Old 04-17-2022, 08:50 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

This looks like a 996.1? I helped a buddy do his last summer. You have to lower the engine a surprising amount, and even then, it is a tight fit, but doable. I’d try dropping the engine some more, just watch for interference as you do it to avoid breaking anything. Worst case, pull the bumper cover, which is only a 10 min job.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:14 AM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Keep an eye on the O2 sensor wires as you lower the engine so you don't pull one apart. But definitely lower the engine as much as possible.
Old 04-17-2022, 12:20 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 643 Likes on 402 Posts

My wife's 997 hits 120,000 miles in a couple months. At that point, the engine is dropped so I can replace pulleys, belts, starter, AOS, heat exchanger seals, spark plugs, coils, scope the cylinders AND changing the coolant tank. I expect that tank thing will take exactly 5 minutes with no swearing. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2022, 12:30 PM
wiggle_puppy
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I was able to replace the tank on my MK1 by lowering the motor as much as possible. I didn't remove fuel lines and I certainly didn't cut anything. Lower the motor, replace the fuel line, and put away your cutting tools. You got this.
Old 04-17-2022, 01:41 PM
rmikebaker
Advanced

Relax guys. I only cut the fuel line after doing my research, and many unsuccessful attempts to remove one (or both) ends. After the tank is out, I'll have more room to work on removing each end, and replacing it. I don't have a practice of just randomly cutting things that are in the way, for sure.
Old 04-17-2022, 09:59 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Sorry… probably sounded worse than it is. The fuel line has a hard plastic inner core that molds around the barbed fitting it slips over - almost impossible to pull it off the fitting without heating it up (with a heat gun - no flame 😳&#129327. Anyway, as others have said, lower all the way to the crossmember (remember to loosen the transmission mount too), and push the engine over toward the passenger side…
Old 04-18-2022, 03:11 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

If you cut the fuel line I think you are going to have BIG problems!! When I replaced by coolant tank I had he engine out, and managed to use the newer style (996.2) tank on my 996.1. I am planning on doing a write up on this when I have some time as the newer tanks are less than half the price of the older ones for OEM/Porsche tanks.

But back to the fuel lines, when I was putting my engine back in I twisted and cracked the hard plastic fuel line (a 996.1 has two lines). I tried numerous repairs to fix this, cutting off the cracked section and using heat, etc. to get the remaining had plastic to seal on the metal end fitting but was never successful., it leaked every time the line was pressurized. I ended up having to order a replacement line which had to come from Germany. And to replace it you have to drop the engine as the line is one piece that goes along the had coolant pipe, above the engine along the frame rail and back under the car and winds around other lines, etc. Even with the engine out of the car it took a couple of hours to snake it through including removing clamps and other lines.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (04-18-2022)
Old 04-18-2022, 03:31 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,678 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
If you cut the fuel line I think you are going to have BIG problems!! When I replaced by coolant tank I had he engine out, and managed to use the newer style (996.2) tank on my 996.1. I am planning on doing a write up on this when I have some time as the newer tanks are less than half the price of the older ones for OEM/Porsche tanks.

But back to the fuel lines, when I was putting my engine back in I twisted and cracked the hard plastic fuel line (a 996.1 has two lines). I tried numerous repairs to fix this, cutting off the cracked section and using heat, etc. to get the remaining had plastic to seal on the metal end fitting but was never successful., it leaked every time the line was pressurized. I ended up having to order a replacement line which had to come from Germany. And to replace it you have to drop the engine as the line is one piece that goes along the had coolant pipe, above the engine along the frame rail and back under the car and winds around other lines, etc. Even with the engine out of the car it took a couple of hours to snake it through including removing clamps and other lines.

Good luck!
Yea... I tried to keep my mouth shut, but cutting the fuel line in frustration was a big mistake. The 996 in the video that was posted on the other expansion tank thread (re posted below) for Rennlist was my car. Of course, while the video does make the process look easy, the fact is... for a Flat 6 Innovations experienced employee, it was easy because they've done many, many times. The guy in the video was able to get the tank in and out with little or no trouble. I was impressed to say the least. I guess direct experience and a little muscle memory was helpful in knowing how to noodle the tanks in and out of the mount.

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 04-18-2022 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:47 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

The video is nice, but there is no way a 3.6L tank will come out and install that easy like the car in the video. It must be a 3.4L.
The following 2 users liked this post by mffarrell:
sfapsey (04-18-2022), work_truck (04-21-2022)

Quick Reply: HELP! Going mad removing expansion tank