996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

HELP! Going mad removing expansion tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2022, 11:22 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,011 Posts

As promised. I was able to locate the files that were recorded 4 years ago. I've just extracted the points where all the connections and level sensor were removed from expansion to after the expansion tank was removed. I don't think this helps much because we recorded this with a large camera and since there is little or no room in the engine bay, it was hard to get close ups with him leaning over into the engine bay area. In hindsight, I should have acquired some GoPros for the job. In this 30 sec clip, the Flat 6 Innovations technician is in the final stage of noodling the tank out of the engine bay and having to correct snagged lines along the way. Its seems his biggest hurdle was making the turn around the rear tail light housing area. The last part of him making the turn around that section didn't make it because I cut camera to pull out wide. Anyway, hope it helps.

Old 04-21-2022, 11:57 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 174 Posts

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2022, 12:58 AM
rmikebaker
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default UPDATE...

Just wanted to provide an update on my "expansion tank replacement" saga, since I started the thread.

The following combination of things (in no particular order) helped me to get the tank out. I'm not suggesting this is exactly what you should do, but rather, just some of the things that helped me.

1) Removing the rear bumper cover so I could lower the engine a little more, by slightly manipulating the heat shields to give a little more room without the cats hitting them.
2) Removing the left engine mount.
3) Cutting off part of the the lower coolant hose connector on the tank, as well as the hose guide at the upper rear.
4) In my case, I cut the return fuel line that is directly in the way of the lower portion of the tank, but I DO NOT recommend you do this if you're able to push it down enough to get it under the tank as you bring it toward you. Replacement was uneventful, but just another thing to deal with.
5) Removing the coolant level sensor (twist and remove).
6) A lot of expletives, and taking some breaks to regain my sanity.

Watch out for the coolant hose clip under the tank. I broke it while extracting the tank, as I didn't even realize it was under there.

Getting the tank back in was just about as much fun. The way the coolant hose clip mounts to the body, you really want to put it in before you put the tank in, but then it's just in the way. I wound up making a slight modification to the upper black plastic tank mount so I could install it after the tank was in place. It only makes use of one bolt instead of two, but it's still plenty strong enough to hold the tank. If anybody is interested, I can post a pic of what I did.

This project turned into a journey of replacing multiple parts:

1) As I was trying to remove the tank, I wasn't paying attention and accidentally pushed on the oil filler tube (original, I think) with my right arm, and it broke in two right at the end of the "flex" portion. Ordered parts and started removing things in order to replace it.
2) As I started working to remove the throttle plenum, I was inspecting the cluster of hoses that sits on top of the alternator, and noticed one of the small vacuum lines was broke (see pic). After removing the plenum, and could see the hose snaked back behind the engine and attached to the back of the rear crossover plenum. When I tried reaching back to grab it, it just fell into my hand. Replacing it was a bit difficult, because the rear plenum doesn't come out like the front one. I loosened the hose clamps as was able to rotate it just enough that I could pull the formed rubber hose forward, and shove in the new vacuum line.
3) I removed the alternator to get at the left mounting bolt for the oil filler tube, and since I had it out (another painful ordeal as the rear bearing was very stuck), I just ordered a new one, since it looked original and I had no record of it ever being replaced.

You may have better or worse experiences when working on your 996, but this forum and the folks who hang out here are a HUGE help.

Thanks to all those who take the time to provide their knowledge here, and answer questions.

-Mike

Yellow arrow pointing to the vacuum line I had to replace. Yuck...
The following users liked this post:
Pencap914 (05-03-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 11:31 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 688 Likes on 428 Posts

So you're about 8 hours into this job while inventing 10 different four-letter words?
Old 04-27-2022, 12:07 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,414 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by rmikebaker
6) A lot of expletives, and taking some breaks to regain my sanity.
Next challenge: Replace the AOS without uttering any expletives!
Old 04-27-2022, 12:40 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Next challenge: Replace the AOS without uttering any expletives!
Umm..from experience that is not possible. In fact you will probably add many new ones to your vocabulary
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 10:41 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 688 Likes on 428 Posts

Dude,

If I had known that you are doing the AOS as well as the tank, I would have said to remove the engine. That 996 engine comes out of the car in a day or less. And then the tank replacement takes 5 minutes.

Quick Reply: HELP! Going mad removing expansion tank