Sponsored by:

Sunroof Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 12:59 PM
6SpeedJeremy
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sunroof Rattle

In my new to me 2001 Coupe, I have a rattle problem that I cant seem to figure out what it actually is.

When the sunroof is closed, I will hear an occasional rattle somewhere over my head if I hit a rough patch. Same with the sunroof all the way open. No big deal.

However, if you put it in Moonroof mode, where only the back of the glass is open.......something rattles like western diamondback. Its constant under movement. Ive tried to put my hand in there and see if I could find something but have had no luck. Any ideas? Is this a common problem and or fix?
Old 03-09-2022, 02:03 PM
Boff
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 109 Posts

How about when it is fully open? The most common issue is that a rod that goes across the ceiling just rearward of the sunroof can come out of the brackets that hold it. As air buffets it, it get even worse.

You should be able to feel the loose rod if that is the culprit. The fix is easy…pull off the coat hook, remove a bolt to loosen the B pillar trim, pull off the plastic trim surrounding the windows (not all the way to either end though), unclip the headliner near the B pillar, and reach in an reseat the rod. Ppl have used duct tape or a small piece of cloth to make the rod fit tighter.
Old 03-09-2022, 02:36 PM
6SpeedJeremy
Intermediate

I coudlnt feel a loose rod but Ill try to stick my head up there and see it.

The sunroof all the way open is about the same as all the way closed. Rattles a litte but not crazy. Its when its in moonroof config that its loud.

I can put my hand on the headline and press up, the noise goes away.

Maybe Ill get out my borescope and see what I can see.
Old 03-09-2022, 02:43 PM
werk-1
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 6SpeedJeremy
I coudlnt feel a loose rod but Ill try to stick my head up there and see it.

The sunroof all the way open is about the same as all the way closed. Rattles a litte but not crazy. Its when its in moonroof config that its loud.

I can put my hand on the headline and press up, the noise goes away.

Maybe Ill get out my borescope and see what I can see.

I have the exact same issue also with a 2001 coupe, please post an update if you figure it out I would really appreciate it.
The following users liked this post:
168Sierra (03-23-2023)
Old 03-09-2022, 04:24 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

I have the same issue with my 99, it's the beauty panel on the bottom side that is not properly attached. I changed out my head liner a long time ago to an alcantara OEM one and it still does it. When I took everything out of the sunroof, I found a rag inserted on the side that had the issue. I have never fixed it, it's been so long I can't remember exactly the issue, I just live with it over bumps.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:41 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

What is this glass you speak of?
Mine does it too, there's a simple fix here on rennlist or renntec (I can't remember)
Old 03-09-2022, 05:52 PM
philbert996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,160 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
What is this glass you speak of?
Same question
Old 03-09-2022, 06:05 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 458 Posts

My sunroof made a bit of noise over bumps. When I had it open in the "moonroof" position (back off the sunroof up), there was a rubber seal that runs along the back of the sunroof and a small section of that rubber seal was lose from whatever it attaches to. I moved that section back into place, and then thoroughly cleaned everything around the sunroof and waxed the metal surfaces and applied 303 to the rubber seals. It seemed to help considerably -- not sure how much was due to the seal being out of place and how much cleaning helped - but it was worth the effort in my case.
Old 03-09-2022, 06:15 PM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Received 307 Likes on 179 Posts

Do you have a targa?
Old 03-10-2022, 12:43 AM
schroederhc1
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 61 Posts

Same for me; that seal would be tapping the top of the sunroof anytime I hit a bump drove me nuts. once I fitted it back to the rear of the sun roof I haven't had an issue.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:38 AM
6SpeedJeremy
Intermediate

No I dont have a Targa, IDK why I said glass. I guess In my head I think of a moonroof as see through. Though obviously that is not the case here.

Ive been driving it a lot this week because my truck is waiting on a dealership appointment. On the way home yesterday I was playing with it.

With mine anyway, if you just barely touch the headliner with the flat of your palm directly behind the roof opening the rattle goes away. So with mine its not going to be something on the moonroof itself. I cant see how it would be when touching the headliner fixes it. Like I said, this weekend Ill get out my scope and see what I can see in there.

Last edited by 6SpeedJeremy; 03-10-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:17 AM
rrbarrios14
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6SpeedJeremy
No I dont have a Targa, IDK why I said glass. I guess In my head I think of a moonroof as see through. Though obviously that is not the case here.

Ive been driving it a lot this week because my truck is waiting on a dealership appointment. On the way home yesterday I was playing with it.

With mine anyway, if you just barely touch the headliner with the flat of your palm directly behind the roof opening the rattle goes away. So with mine its not going to be something on the moonroof itself. I cant see how it would be when touching the headliner fixes it. Like I said, this weekend Ill get out my scope and see what I can see in there.
I have the exact same issue! There’s a rod or support running over passenger and driver head directly behind the sunroof… if I hold it up, noise stops. Any success in securing this?
Old 03-06-2023, 11:33 AM
6SpeedJeremy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rrbarrios14
I have the exact same issue! There’s a rod or support running over passenger and driver head directly behind the sunroof… if I hold it up, noise stops. Any success in securing this?
I honestly didn’t even try. I looked at it but decided I didn’t care enough to want to take down part of the headliner to fix it. I have enough real projects in my garage I didn’t want to start a project to fix a rattle.

Mine is only really annoying if I try to use the moon roof function. Sunroof fully open or fully closed it isn’t bad.

If you fix it and find it was easy to do I would like to hear about it.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:08 AM
jksymz75
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try this
Old 03-23-2023, 03:10 PM
praveen550
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default sunroof noise

Hi Everyone. I had creaking and rattling sounds from my Porsche Cayenne Panoramic roof. I used some Gummi Pfledge rubber treatment by Liquimolly for 5 bucks on Amazon and all sounds vanished. It was unbelievable. I still can't believe it was so easy. May need a 2nd application soon, but so worth it. Worth a try for sure.
The following users liked this post:
peterp (03-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Sunroof Rattle