Sponsored by:

*** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 01:37 PM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by TheChunkNorris
Their kit is a Daytona Cobra... I'm sure you knew that but just in case.
I did. I just couldn't resist the plug for a Europa. In all seriousness those kits look like good fun if you are willing to dedicate the time and money.
The following users liked this post:
TheChunkNorris (08-13-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 09:38 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts

Best Kit Car out there, i helped complete a couple of the Cobra kits , Just get the complete Kit and option it correctly. Buying from Factory 5 will get you all tech support you need. Not a easy project but very fulfilling.
Did you order the DVD and go through it?

I'm looking at add the Hot Rod myself. If do all specialty Hot Rod manufacturer parts (Heidt's Pete and Jakes, etc.) you got a lot of stuff you have to engineer yourself. That takes time and talent. Most people come up short on the Talent, Usually can come up with the money, time wastes away w/o a clear project path.

Best of Luck and let us know UR progress

Last edited by Mike Mullins; 08-13-2022 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:54 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 663 Posts

If I was going to assemble a car it would be a Caterham 7.
Type65 (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 10:09 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,092 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mullins
Best Kit Car out there, i helped complete a couple of the Cobra kits , Just get the complete Kit and option it correctly. Buying from Factory 5 will get you all tech support you need. Not a easy project but very fulfilling.
Did you order the DVD and go through it?

I'm looking at add the Hot Rod myself. If do all specialty Hot Rod manufacturer parts (Heidt's Pete and Jakes, etc.) you got a lot of stuff you have to engineer yourself. That takes time and talent. Most people come up short on the Talent, Usually can come up with the money, time wastes away w/o a clear project path.

Best of Luck and let us know UR progress
So far I've watched their build vids and some other random YouTuber vids. I think the general consensus is they ordered their kit before having the engine and realized what certain engine options cost after the fact, perfect example being a Coyote 5.0. Check those boxes with the modular V8 option and the price for the kit goes up almost $8k, then add the price of the Coyote and T-5 or TKO. In their forum classifieds, you'll find a ton of parts that people decided not to use but bought with the original kit. The other thing is the body work, removing fiberglass mold edges via a body shop is alot of extra prep and that is the #1 killer of some because the paint and prep it'll range from $6k - $10k simply on how much prep the shop needs to do. Fitting of panels is a pain in the *** too.

Think if I did do it, I'd go pretty basic with a 351w(with the option to bore to 427) and a T5. The car comes with manual brakes and no P/S but the P/S can be easily be addressed. The only weirdo thing I'd really want to add is A/C if I was able to get the Lemans removable top because... S.FL is hot. This year should be a good year at work(bonus wise) and assuming my 996 doesn't have a failure of some sort, I'd be looking to start amassing parts at the beginning of 2024. With all that said, I do look for air-cooled 911s and 996/997 rollers because I feel these will continue to get more and more expensive. Other car I'd love to mess with is a VW Golf R.

Originally Posted by wdb
If I was going to assemble a car it would be a Caterham 7.
That would be awesome and since I have lots of time now... might as well read up on the topic.

Last edited by TheChunkNorris; 08-14-2022 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:51 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default The VW R to do is an R3204

So far I've watched their build vids and some other random YouTuber vids. I think the general consensus is they ordered their kit before having the engine and realized what certain engine options cost after the fact, perfect example being a Coyote 5.0. Check those boxes with the modular V8 option and the price for the kit goes up almost $8k, then add the price of the Coyote and T-5 or TKO. In their forum classifieds, you'll find a ton of parts that people decided not to use but bought with the original kit. The other thing is the body work, removing fiberglass mold edges via a body shop is alot of extra prep and that is the #1 killer of some because the paint and prep it'll range from $6k - $10k simply on how much prep the shop needs to do. Fitting of panels is a pain in the *** too.

Think if I did do it, I'd go pretty basic with a 351w(with the option to bore to 427) and a T5. The car comes with manual brakes and no P/S but the P/S can be easily be addressed. The only weirdo thing I'd really want to add is A/C if I was able to get the Lemans removable top because... S.FL is hot. This year should be a good year at work(bonus wise) and assuming my 996 doesn't have a failure of some sort, I'd be looking to start amassing parts at the beginning of 2024. With all that said, I do look for air-cooled 911s and 996/997 rollers because I feel these will continue to get more and more expensive. Other car I'd love to mess with is a VW Golf R.

That would be awesome and since I have lots of time now... might as well read up on the topic.
Joel the one and only R is the 2004
v6 3.2 R. I had one from 2006-to 2013. HPA twin turbo $30k job. Unbelievable. Aristo wheels, koening seats, Moonson sound system , blue gauges, coupe. If you want to mess with the four bangers that’s ok, the 04 is the king of the road, a car I should have never sold. 10.01 in the quarter with 104 octane fuel. Ultimate awd sleeper.
TheChunkNorris (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 01:14 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,287 Likes on 1,809 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
10.01 in the quarter
You should have kept going until you got a 9.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:55 PM
Type65
Racer

I have always been a Ford guy when it comes to American classics and trucks. I love Ford V8s and I'd definitely recommend that route over an LS, but have you priced out a 351W or 427 lately? If you aren't a Ford guy you may not know but. 351M shares no parts with a Windsor and the Ms are cheap Windsors deservedly are not I'd seriously reconsider a Coyote. It may actually be cheaper (at least engine wise, IDK about the kit) especially if you are trying to make serious power or go EFI.

The Caterham 7 would be a total different feel so it really depends on what you are looking for. The 7 is probably one of the scariest things on 4 wheels you will likely be running around 1,200 lbs with a 4 cylinder Toyota engine that you can force induct if you'd like. You can get crazy power to weight ratios and good handling. It is pretty much literally a big go-cart. I'd also imagine if you put AC in one you'd be the only person ever to do so. The Factory Five on the other hand will be that big torquey V8 American racer. Also there never has been and likely never will be ANY comfort in any lotus based vehicle. Colin Chapman would roll over in his grave if there was.

Last edited by Type65; 08-14-2022 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:35 PM
3/98 911 coupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 675 Likes on 467 Posts
Default I never touched the car after I got it from hpa

Originally Posted by zbomb
You should have kept going until you got a 9.
Jason it was a turn key deal. After I picked the car up from HPA. I paid them $30k and I just drove the car. From 2006-2013 I put 40k miles and it never broke. I would go to the track driving the car with about an 1/8 of a tank. Add about 4 gallons of 104 blue racing fuel, burn a bit in the parking lot, get my tech card after I have switched the tune with the left stalk in the steering wheel and she would just go. The track was at Sealy Texas, 20 minutes from my house, test and tune on Friday nights for a cost of $15. Years ago Hennessy bought the facility and it’s no longer a public race track. I had to go thru the gears in the car, yes it had a short shifter, I just would imagine how quick this thing could have been with a pdk, this was the first time in my life I turned the car to a tunner, all previous cars I had modified piece by piece. HPA sold me a total package, I was extremely satisfied with the finished product and breakage free performance for 7 years 40,000 miles.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:38 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Type65
I have always been a Ford guy when it comes to American classics and trucks. I love Ford V8s and I'd definitely recommend that route over an LS, but have you priced out a 351W or 427 lately? If you aren't a Ford guy you may not know but. 351M shares no parts with a Windsor and the Ms are cheap Windsors deservedly are not I'd seriously reconsider a Coyote. It may actually be cheaper (at least engine wise, IDK about the kit) especially if you are trying to make serious power or go EFI.

The Caterham 7 would be a total different feel so it really depends on what you are looking for. The 7 is probably one of the scariest things on 4 wheels you will likely be running around 1,200 lbs with a 4 cylinder Toyota engine that you can force induct if you'd like. You can get crazy power to weight ratios and good handling. It is pretty much literally a big go-cart. I'd also imagine if you put AC in one you'd be the only person ever to do so. The Factory Five on the other hand will be that big torquey V8 American racer. Also there never has been and likely never will be ANY comfort in any lotus based vehicle. Colin Chapman would roll over in his grave if there was.
I'm def looking for carbureted 351W and you can get a 400hp roller engine long block for under 8k and need nothing to mount to the body. The problem with the Coyote is you're paying close an extra $8k just to be able to use that engine, then the cost of the engine and then have to use a non T56 transmission. I'm not averse to using a 302 which is the most common swap. The Seven looks awesome and I went to their site, pretty bad ***.

Originally Posted by 3/98 911 coupe
Joel the one and only R is the 2004
v6 3.2 R. I had one from 2006-to 2013. HPA twin turbo $30k job. Unbelievable. Aristo wheels, koening seats, Moonson sound system , blue gauges, coupe. If you want to mess with the four bangers that’s ok, the 04 is the king of the road, a car I should have never sold. 10.01 in the quarter with 104 octane fuel. Ultimate awd sleeper.
To be fair... the only "real R32" is the 2nd Gen Nissan Skyline. People sleep on the Golf R until they line up against one and realize it doesn't take too much money to make them really fast and they have a newer AWD system than the older Haldex units in the R32 models and weighs 150lbs less. There are a lot of 500hp Golf Rs running similar numbers for less the price and a better car all around.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/w...deo-90537.html

I want you to specifically look at the upgrade components.

https://www.onlyrevo.com/blog/how-to...m-your-golf-r/

R32 cars cool and always liked them but man imagine putting $30k into a car and not being able to pull away from a stock internal EA888 4 cylinder with literally just bolt ons. Also if you really want to go fast, a RS3 5 cylinder swap costs(Both are MB chassis cars and everything swaps in, some electrical needs to be done) about $30k and you can get constant 9 second runs in a daily driver. New Golf R EA888 Gen 3 cars start with 315hp.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/mod...ine-second-car

Less money, modern car that still comes in a manual 6 speed is the way.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:16 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I prefer my VR6's ancient and with 12 valves. Oh, and a blower. The best sounding engine ever...
The following 3 users liked this post by theprf:
JohnCA58 (08-14-2022), TheChunkNorris (08-14-2022), zbomb (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 03:31 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theprf
I prefer my VR6's ancient and with 12 valves. Oh, and a blower. The best sounding engine ever...
I love me a G60!!! Speed Density does 3.2 VR6 swaps in 996s and that’s why I’m always looking for a roller. The sun is setting on my career so once I’m done contracting, I’ll have to stick to one hobby and one hobby alone.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:43 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,140 Posts

That's obviously not a G60 . That said I have a line on a couple yellow G60's that were parked for the last 20 years - if you want one.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:53 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theprf
That's obviously not a G60 . That said I have a line on a couple yellow G60's that were parked for the last 20 years - if you want one.
Oh damn! Once I get back home I’ll reach out.
Old 08-14-2022, 05:05 PM
Type65
Racer

I'm def looking for carbureted 351W and you can get a 400hp roller engine long block for under 8k and need nothing to mount to the body. The problem with the Coyote is you're paying close an extra $8k just to be able to use that engine, then the cost of the engine and then have to use a non T56 transmission. I'm not averse to using a 302 which is the most common swap. The Seven looks awesome and I went to their site, pretty bad ***.
​​​​​​Oh jeez! I didn't realize that $8k was just the difference in mounting hardware. That seems awfully steep! You can do a lot to a carbureted Windsor for $8k and they are one of the best Ford engines. Probably my favorite behind the FEs. That engine could to it all.
JohnCA58 (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 05:19 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Type65
​​​​​​Oh jeez! I didn't realize that $8k was just the difference in mounting hardware. That seems awfully steep! You can do a lot to a carbureted Windsor for $8k and they are one of the best Ford engines. Probably my favorite behind the FEs. That engine could to it all.
If you chose the 2015 IRS and all the 5.0 Coyote extras… it’s right under $7k. You can piece is pretty serious 351W and always have the option to bore up to 427 if 400ish wasn’t enough. Hell you can add a simple Holley EFI kit and make more reliable power.

Either way, those are some of the things I’ve been looking at. A Daytona would be amazing but the build seems a little more in-depth than a MK4.
Type65 (08-14-2022)

Quick Reply: *** The Official 996 Forum Off Topic Thread ***