Sponsored by:

Alpine NAV system being installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 12:46 PM
carbon_00
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine NAV system being installed

Alpine NAV system being installed into my Targa tommorrow, will post pictures when done.

Anyone else have photos of their installs?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2004, 01:30 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neat! which deck did you end up going with and did you get the lastest nav dvd drive? How much did you end up dropping etc? Are you doing any other audio upgrades at the same time? I am jealous!
Old 04-21-2004, 02:10 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm torn between the Alpine Screen based Nav (with separate NAV unit only, no HU), and something like Becker Traffic Pro. Just trying to figure out whether I need basic navigational abilities, or a full blown distraction like the LCD screen.

I had a non-screen based NAV in the Audi S4, and I'm presuming that the Traffic Pro is the exact same thing ,and it worked really well.

One thing that the screen based nav offers is being able to see what's around your position, which something like the Traffic Pro cannot provide.

Any input?
Old 04-22-2004, 03:26 PM
Arun
AutoX

I am currently buying a C4S and also thinking of putting in an Alpine Nav system. For those of you that have done it have you had an issues with the system and how well or not it has performed? Please let me know as I am looking for a nav system that works very well. Thank you for any and all assistance.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:54 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

no one has mentioned Pioneer. I have their top of line Nav unit in my Ford Truck and it rocks. Voice recognition, touchscreen, and phone # lookup are just a few of the awesome features.

To make it even better, Reus has a way to custom install the Pioneer Nav in Porsches so it literally looks like it rolled off the assembly line that way!

Old 04-22-2004, 09:07 PM
NYSE Guy
Intermediate

With all of these aftermarket NAV installs, does the OBC still work on the 02 + 's? I like some aspects of the OBC and don't want to lose it for a stereo.

Ed
Old 04-22-2004, 09:18 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I bought a 04 C4S last month. Have been doing complete new stereo system. I got the newest Eclipse all in one unit. AVN 2454. Stationary Wide screen - Touch Screen, w/ CD, CD changer, AM, FM, DVD, NAV (and not released yet Sirus). Seems like the best thing going. It is a double DIN size unit. The screen tilts and lowers completely down to reveal CD and DVD slots. Also Eclipse 5 ch amp on the forward face of gas tank. Very satisfactory so far. All works and functions perfectly. Unit about $3K and amp $400. Plus my 4 weeks labor. Also retrofiting all Boston Acoustics Pro spk and 4 6" subs where bose was.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:31 PM
Arun
AutoX

I didn't mean to not include other nav systems. I just knew of Alpine's system. If anyone has any info on any other systems and what they think of the nav system and how accurate it is and easy to use. Please let me know as I am looking for a system to put in my 04 C4S. Thank you
Old 04-23-2004, 09:14 PM
JLJ

im getting the pioneer in my dodge ram..its better than the alpine and has car funtions too like 0 to 60, G force ,gyro, speeds, and other cool stuff . you should get it. NAV alone is useless unless you do alot of miles all over the place. pioneer has more functions
look here
http://www.avic-n1.com/
look under vehicle dynamics
Old 04-23-2004, 09:40 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally posted by okbarnett
I bought a 04 C4S last month. Have been doing complete new stereo system. I got the newest Eclipse all in one unit. AVN 2454. Stationary Wide screen - Touch Screen, w/ CD, CD changer, AM, FM, DVD, NAV (and not released yet Sirus). Seems like the best thing going. It is a double DIN size unit. The screen tilts and lowers completely down to reveal CD and DVD slots. Also Eclipse 5 ch amp on the forward face of gas tank. Very satisfactory so far. All works and functions perfectly. Unit about $3K and amp $400. Plus my 4 weeks labor. Also retrofiting all Boston Acoustics Pro spk and 4 6" subs where bose was.
Yeah but will it play my ABBA 8-Track?
Old 04-24-2004, 03:03 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

abbasolutely
Old 04-24-2004, 08:25 PM
nicoff
Racer

I just bought a stand-alone NAV system made by Garmin. Garmin has two models: model 2610 costs about $700. This model uses a card to store the maps. Depending on the size of the card, you can store more or less information. The maps can be downloaded on line. For about $1k, model 2620 uses a hard drive that stores the entire USA and Canada.
Magellan also sells stand-alone systems that work very well (Magellan developed NeverLost for Hertz Car Rental).

The nice thing about these units is that they can be used in different cars. The disadvantage is that they would not look as built-in. These units use a touch screen (Garmin does, not sure about Magellan), give you voice commands and are fairly accurate.
FWIW, I was driving a loaner Cayenne with factory NAV and several times my stand-alone Garmin NAV system would show me a better way to get back home.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Trojan/Anybody........what/who is Reus?
Old 04-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by Trojan Man
no one has mentioned Pioneer. I have their top of line Nav unit in my Ford Truck and it rocks. Voice recognition, touchscreen, and phone # lookup are just a few of the awesome features.

To make it even better, Reus has a way to custom install the Pioneer Nav in Porsches so it literally looks like it rolled off the assembly line that way!

I'd like to see that installation. I'd like to go a bit over the top (and that's to suppose that a complete, McIntosh system with fibre optical signal connects isn't at least approaching over the top) and a dvd-nav and theatre system is appealing. Still "dreaming" at this stage, but it's on the to-do list for the car.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by okbarnett
Would you mind posting a pic of the Eclipse installed, please?

Quick Reply: Alpine NAV system being installed