996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Alpine NAV system being installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 02:03 PM
porschecanada
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks awesome does any one know where i can get a trim ring that fits around the display? Is this a custom ring or can it be bought? How much custom work is there to get the display in? and can you revert to factory after when you sell the car?
Old 04-30-2004, 05:15 AM
gaxor
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi TitanL9

The project started because I wanted to improve on the standard SatNav that was part of the PCM1 that was installed in the car. As I travel across Europe several times a year I objected to paying £250.00 per CD per country. My local In-Car Sound expert showed me the Kenwood system, as it is the first in the UK to have a double-DIN fitting screen, which was an ideal replacement for the Porsche fitment. The rest followed...!

Don't get me wrong, I use my car as it was designed to be used. I participate in several track days, and the car is significantly more powerful than the stock 996 Turbo. (505BHP compared to 420BHP) However the car is also my day to day transport (As Pcars are also designed to be) I drive in excess of 15,000 miles per year in it and enjoy listening to a good sound system. I am also a pragmatist, I live in the UK and traffic congestion is often a problem. Only last night I was caught in a traffic jam on my local motorway for 30 mins, and managed to watch TV whilst waiting for the traffic to move again.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:17 AM
gaxor
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Porschecanada

The silver surround is part of the unit, it contains some of the control buttons.

The original loom for the PCM is still in the car, so yes theoretically I can re-fit the old PCM1. However I sold it on ebay last week to recoup some of the cost of the new system
Old 04-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

LVDell - Reus Systems is one of the premier aftermarket car audio companies in the world.

His speakers & amps are custom made to his specs and when the entire package comes together with a high quality audio source, the result is breathtaking. Far better than focals, McIntosh, etc...

www.reusaudio.com
Old 05-01-2004, 11:23 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally posted by gaxor
Just to share my experineces with you guys.

Last week I had a Kenwood DV3200 SatNav and LZ651W multimedia player installed in my 996 TT.

The result I think is fantastic, giving me Satnav, TV,DVD,MP3,CD and 6 disk autochanger

A pic is attached

Gaxor!

Monster Track car, TransEurope Rocket and Kick A$$ Daily Driver!

Your car and its A/V system are an unbelievable combination of Form, Function and Fun!!

You give me vision for the future!
Old 05-02-2004, 10:38 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 996 C4S Eclipse nav/stereo system

Sorry I took so long. Family sickness, etc. I have installed the Eclipse AVN 2454 in a 04 C4S. It has AM, FM, CD, CD changer, DVD, Nav, (soon released Sirius). Wide screen, Touch screen, Tilt screen. Double DIN size one piece unit. It was the best choice I could find. I like it a lot and seems to be working great. I put in the Eclipse 5 ch amp and changed the speakers to Boston Acoustic Pro in the origional bose grilles, and building a replacement box in the bose sub place with 4 B.A.Pro 6.5 woofers. You can email me for further info and pictures if needed. okbarnett@tampabay.rr.com and I will soon have all the origional radio, amp, bose speakers drivers, and sub box to sell.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:40 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default wont accept the pictures

wont accept any picture. Says too big. Have to email me.

Quick Reply: Alpine NAV system being installed