Rebuilt Porsche 996 Carrera Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 10:18 PM
Pautab1
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rebuilt Porsche 996 Carrera Pricing

Hi all,

Apologies if this is not in the right forum, but I bought a low mileage 2003 Porsche 996 Carrera last year and although I am still enjoying it, I am thinking of pulling the trigger on a dream car sometime soon. This means I will have to sell the 996. I’ve seen the market cost of these 996’s go upwards in the past year, but I see very few 996’s with a rebuilt title for sale so I’m having a hard time thinking of what I could sell it for. I bought the car with a rebuilt PA title - My understanding was that in 2005 the car was in an accident and I have all the documentation of things that were replaced. As I went through the documentation, my opinion was that there was some fraud going on (receipts from the accident did not add up; the previous owner agreed). I had the car PPI’d by a Porsche dealer in PA and it passed with flying colors. It has not given me any issues in 4k miles of ownership and is in really good shape inside & out. I was curious to hear from the forum had any thoughts. Here are some of the details:

-2003 Porsche Carrera (arctic silver)
-34,000 original miles
-6 speed manual
-Has replaced IMS and RMS complete
-New Clutch at 29k miles
-black leather interior
-fabspeed maxflo exhaust
-18 inch apex wheels with new pilot sport 4s tires

Last edited by Pautab1; 11-26-2021 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:40 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

Options? Photo of options sticker under drunk lid? Sound recording/video of engine running both cold and fully warmed up? There are lots of variables. Difficult to impossible to throw a price out without specific info. The best way to do it imo would be to give ALL the info you have and let the chips fall where they may. The salvage title is a big one... The main thing you can be sure of, is that it’s worth more now than it was a year or two ago... Good luck
Old 11-27-2021, 10:36 AM
Pautab1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dporto
Options? Photo of options sticker under drunk lid? Sound recording/video of engine running both cold and fully warmed up? There are lots of variables. Difficult to impossible to throw a price out without specific info. The best way to do it imo would be to give ALL the info you have and let the chips fall where they may. The salvage title is a big one... The main thing you can be sure of, is that it’s worth more now than it was a year or two ago... Good luck
Appreciate the thoughts. I don’t have any videos of the engine running right now as the car is in storage due to the winter (I may take it out if I decide to sell it and can definitely do some cold starts and videos of the car running. But I am positive there’s no engine ticking, knocking etc. ). Here are some options:

-Heated front seats
-Porsche Stability Management
-Bose High End Sound System
-Multi disc CD changer
-Black standard leather
-Power seat package
-Xenon Headlamp package
-Artic Silver Metallic Hardtop
The following users liked this post:
dporto (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 01:43 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 638 Posts

OP - Nice car from description…however, as dporto alludes (and he doesn’t pull punches), to maximize you’re sale potential; a couple of things will help you. Durametric info for cam deviations and over rev, etc. Clutch replacement at 29,000 is pretty early. Mention specifics about repairs done post-accident. Suspension stock or upgraded? Where are the original wheels? The videos will be asked for by prospects. Think as if you’re putting this on BaT and you’ll make the effort pay off.

Last edited by hatchetf15; 11-27-2021 at 01:45 PM.
dporto (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 01:54 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 469 Likes on 329 Posts

I've bought and sold a few rebuilt cars and rebuilt one myself. General rule of thumb is 2/3 clean retail value but with the current market it could vary depending on the car.
dporto (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 02:04 PM
Pautab1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
OP - Nice car from description…however, as dporto alludes (and he doesn’t pull punches), to maximize you’re sale potential; a couple of things will help you. Durametric info for cam deviations and over rev, etc. Clutch replacement at 29,000 is pretty early. Mention specifics about repairs done post-accident. Suspension stock or upgraded? Where are the original wheels? The videos will be asked for by prospects. Think as if you’re putting this on BaT and you’ll make the effort pay off.
Makes sense. I have the printouts from the Porsche dealership. When I actually post the car for sale I’ll include this info too. The suspension is stock. I forgot to put in my original post that I had new spark plugs, coil packs, oem rotors/ pads, and stainless steel brake lines done to it. I don’t know have original wheels, the P/O swapped them with some aftermarket wheels.
Old 11-27-2021, 02:18 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Nice looking car.
Luckily (IMHO) the PO didn't buy crappy looking aftermarket wheels.
I agree with everything above, including the 2/3 salvage title price.
The more info you give, good or bad, the better it will sell for.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:36 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Pautab1
I don’t know have original wheels, the P/O swapped them with some aftermarket wheels.
The Apex wheels are superb wheels and probably the best 18” non-OE choice for that car.
GC996 (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 06:33 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,931 Likes on 2,234 Posts

It would make a great track car for someone at 2/3 the price. In 20 years, no one will care about whether it was totaled or not.

As a side note, don't k now what your dream car is, but the 996 has been mine for 20 years.

Last edited by GC996; 11-27-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:59 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 469 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
It would make a great track car for someone at 2/3 the price. In 20 years, no one will care about whether it was totaled or not.

As a side note, don't k now what your dream car is, but the 996 has been mine for 20 years.
Feel like in general it would be a good car for someone if all the work was done properly. I would be interested to know the damage because as a 2005 it was still a relatively new car so it would have to take a decent hit to get totaled? no? I rebuilt a Jetta GLI once and at the time they were still selling for good money, 15k for a clean one. I ended up rebuilding the car myself for $3k and a third of that was paint. Had I waited or bought used parts it could have been done for less. Point being, there are so many different ways a car could be totaled.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:21 PM
Pautab1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by motoo344
Feel like in general it would be a good car for someone if all the work was done properly. I would be interested to know the damage because as a 2005 it was still a relatively new car so it would have to take a decent hit to get totaled? no? I rebuilt a Jetta GLI once and at the time they were still selling for good money, 15k for a clean one. I ended up rebuilding the car myself for $3k and a third of that was paint. Had I waited or bought used parts it could have been done for less. Point being, there are so many different ways a car could be totaled.
Thats what I’m saying! In 2005 the car was still practically new to be totaled out. From the documents and receipts I have, there are receipts that were submitted for things that don’t even make sense if the car was in an accident (eg like interior plastic parts ). I even have pictures that were submitted to the insurance company that show the front bumper and rear bumper taken off the car. Like no damage to them and literally looks like someone took them off and said they needed to be replaced. This is why the P/O suggested that it seemed like it may have been in a minor accident, but then made to be much worse to get the insurance to total it. Idk how strict insurance was nearly 20 years ago though
Old 11-27-2021, 08:24 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pautab1
Thats what I’m saying! In 2005 the car was still practically new to be totaled out. From the documents and receipts I have, there are receipts that were submitted for things that don’t even make sense if the car was in an accident (eg like interior plastic parts ). I even have pictures that were submitted to the insurance company that show the front bumper and rear bumper taken off the car. Like no damage to them and literally looks like someone took them off and said they needed to be replaced. This is why the P/O suggested that it seemed like it may have been in a minor accident, but then made to be much worse to get the insurance to total it. Idk how strict insurance was nearly 20 years ago though
Was it possibly totaled in a flood?
Old 11-27-2021, 08:26 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Or a track accident? Back then, deductibles were very high unlike today.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:39 PM
Pautab1
Intermediate

Was it possibly totaled in a flood?
Doubtful. Nothing to suggest that it’s been in a flood. Floor panels and all electronics work like normal. It even smells better than my Jeep!
Old 11-27-2021, 08:43 PM
Pautab1
Intermediate

Or a track accident? Back then, deductibles were very high unlike today.
It’s possible I suppose. Porsche did provide the vehicle analysis log and it doesn’t appear the car logged many over revves so that was a good sign for me

Quick Reply: Rebuilt Porsche 996 Carrera Pricing