Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Guess what my next upgrade will be! Updated litronic headlights!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2023, 04:04 PM
geoff w
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found this most excellent thread, after starting to research the Retrofit Labs kit after seeing it on Jalopnik. I have a bunch of questions that I haven't been able to get answered, so maybe someone here can help.

For assembling the bracket with the screw in spacers, how tight does everything need to be so things don't vibrate loose? Or does anyone use blue Locktite to keep things together? I'm guessing the kit doesn't include any torque settings for any fasteners

Since the original Litronics high beam is halogen and the control unit tilts the HID ow beam up to fill in lighting, and the RFL kit comes with a bi-xenon projector, does the tilt-up need to be disabled, since tilting up the xenon projector seems like it would make the light output too high? Or am I overthinking things and should just plug it together as provided by RFL and enjoy more light?

Is the reflector coating on the new projector more durable, like maybe put on with a PVD process? Or will these deteriorate over time like the originals?

Did anyone get the parking lights with the kit? I just noticed one of my original bulbs is burned out. Are the RFL LEDs better than what I'd get on Amazon?

And, does RFL do a black Friday special or anything, and I should wait until later this month?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2023, 06:29 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,289 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by geoff w
I just found this most excellent thread, after starting to research the Retrofit Labs kit after seeing it on Jalopnik. I have a bunch of questions that I haven't been able to get answered, so maybe someone here can help.
I can answer some of them.

For assembling the bracket with the screw in spacers, how tight does everything need to be so things don't vibrate loose? Or does anyone use blue Locktite to keep things together? I'm guessing the kit doesn't include any torque settings for any fasteners
DON'T USE BLUE LOCTITE on the screws that go into/through plastic! It will eat away at it. Ask me how I know, sigh. I used screwdriver-type socket tools, so, not really super tight.

Since the original Litronics high beam is halogen and the control unit tilts the HID ow beam up to fill in lighting, and the RFL kit comes with a bi-xenon projector, does the tilt-up need to be disabled, since tilting up the xenon projector seems like it would make the light output too high? Or am I overthinking things and should just plug it together as provided by RFL and enjoy more light?
Overthinking. In fact you should make sure it still works when you're done; point the car at a wall, turn the lights on before turning on the ignition, and look for the dip.
Is the reflector coating on the new projector more durable, like maybe put on with a PVD process? Or will these deteriorate over time like the originals?
No idea.
Did anyone get the parking lights with the kit? I just noticed one of my original bulbs is burned out. Are the RFL LEDs better than what I'd get on Amazon?
My kit came with LED parking lights. They're cute.
The following users liked this post:
geoff w (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 08:13 PM
Greatness
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a pretty simple DIY that I can easily handle. Will be doing the upgrade. Bought the projector kit without bulbs since I already have LED brights and Phillips extreme vision gen 2 bulbs. Came out to 179 USD.
Old 11-02-2023, 08:22 PM
Greatness
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Following. This looks like an easy mo
Old 11-02-2023, 11:06 PM
fazm
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I just ordered the kit. No idea what bulbs I have but I'd love a recommendation on what to order bulbwise for an OEM+ outcome. I'll do the retrofit in my "winter" downtime.
geoff w (11-03-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 11:34 PM
Breakthru
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 131 Posts

I traded my stock headlights + $500 for the OEM litronics way back when. I guess looking back that was a good deal.
Old 11-03-2023, 06:02 PM
playswithcars
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 65 Posts

Just another reminder that I stock all 996 RFL kits right here in Denver!
www.retrofitlab.us
Old 11-03-2023, 06:09 PM
geoff w
Advanced

Originally Posted by playswithcars
Just another reminder that I stock all 996 RFL kits right here in Denver!
www.retrofitlab.us
The Europe RFL site shows the 986/996.1 kit at $164.95, but your site looks like $240.00 without bulbs. Why the big difference in price?
Old 11-03-2023, 06:27 PM
playswithcars
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by geoff w
The Europe RFL site shows the 986/996.1 kit at $164.95, but your site looks like $240.00 without bulbs. Why the big difference in price?
shipping from Holland is about $40. My price includes shipping (lower 48).
You will also have to pay duties when you teceive the kit as the projectors are made in China and carry a 28% import duty.
geoff w (11-06-2023)
Old 11-09-2023, 11:18 PM
fazm
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I ordered my kit w/o bulbs directly from RFL for ~$160 and got it a week later. It's sitting in my garage waiting for me to do the work now.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:41 PM
Grateful
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed these on my 986 (had the factory Litronics) with new bulbs. Huge upgrade in lighting performance. However, I'm running into an issue where the passenger headlight flickers on an off and I get a few random error lights on the dash. Did anyone have to use any resistors or code eliminators. I haven't had a chance to swap out the passenger bulb yet. Thanks!
geoff w (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 10:54 PM
geoff w
Advanced

How long did it take you for both sides? Did you have any resource besides the video? Any lessons learned or valuable tips? I've had the kit sitting in my living room for months now, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. Your post motives me
Old 01-19-2024, 11:26 PM
Grateful
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say it took less than two hours. I just used the video. It was pretty straight forward. I used a tiny bit of RTV on the 2 red rubber bushings so they wouldn't fall out when installing the new projector housing.

Last edited by Grateful; 01-19-2024 at 11:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Grateful:
geoff w (01-20-2024), Murphey Parker (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 09:29 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,289 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Grateful
I just installed these on my 986 (had the factory Litronics) with new bulbs. Huge upgrade in lighting performance. However, I'm running into an issue where the passenger headlight flickers on an off and I get a few random error lights on the dash. Did anyone have to use any resistors or code eliminators. I haven't had a chance to swap out the passenger bulb yet. Thanks!
That sounds strange. Did you look for dried out / cracked wire insulation? You could be shorting something out.
Old 01-20-2024, 09:46 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by wdb
That sounds strange. Did you look for dried out / cracked wire insulation? You could be shorting something out.
Definitely could be the problem, especially if the enclosures are the first run Bosch with the soy based wiring. Awful stuff doesn't hold up over from heat/cold cycles. It could also be a the main connector not seating properly with the car. I recommend applying some dielectric grease grease on both the male and female connectors before mounting.

Quick Reply: Guess what my next upgrade will be! Updated litronic headlights!