996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What makes the 1999 so special anyway??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2023 | 09:35 AM
Schnellmacher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garage19builds
It will be kind of hilarious if it turns out to be a true no tc no obc factory lsd (rare car) considering all the changes I did to it lol. When I first got it I was so excited and took alot of abuse online being told it was junk and 996s won't ever be anything aren't real 911s bla bla. I bought a 997 S and 991 4s within a few months of buying this 996 because I loved the 996 so much I thought I would like the newer ones so much better. Well I still have the first 911 I ever bought, this 996 and I don't have the other 2. So to each thier own. Didn't know than what I know now, it's always been so much more engaging to drive. It's fun at every speed, and didn't cost much money at all mine was literally almost free. I didn't know why when I had all 3 cars and was new to all of them. Why the newer ones didn't give me the joy the first one did. It's definitely the annalog, mechanical drive that my 996 has the newer ones didn't. I have never been in an aircooled 911 but I'm sure I would love them for the reasons I love my 996. I have a friend that has 2 early 996 cable driven no tc no obc cars in the UK and says its night and day to the newer 996s he's owned he prefers them for the same reasons. I spent alot of time making this one my version of what I wanted out of a driver so no doubt it's special to me, ruined to others. Treasure to me, trash to others. Its Even lighter, even quicker, upgraded, updated, suspension transformed it, to find out it's rare or special from the beginning would just be icing on the cake for the abuse I took defending it, loving it. The knowledge learned about the annalog and lighter car has already justified why I did prefer it whether I knew it or not. Regardless I think we all love our 996s. Some maybe a little more fanatical about them for thier own reasons but to all the 996s people who love them 🍻🤘🏁

https://youtube.com/shorts/DWBx-yGenOs?feature=share

I,m liking those seats…where did you source those??
Old 05-25-2023 | 09:54 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

I also noticed you GVWR is 3957 where as most are 4xxx. Mine is only 37xx that too makes me curious as to what the differences are. I understand yours is a cab, and mines not so our weight differences are self explanatory but I dont see why my gvwr is 600 or more lbs less than the other carrera 2s that seems like too much of a weight difference to be a mistake there's got to be some major differences in equipment one would assume. 600lbs is alot of weight. I'm also very cautious about listing my vin on public forums, maybe because I'm in the used car business and delt with more cars than the average person but I have had 2 vehicle vins stolen/ cloned that were used on stolen vehicles. So I caution anyone about listing there vins so openly because it does happen and is a hell of a process and nightmare to get your vin cleared. I use to laugh when people covered thier license plate in photos. Now I'm figuring Jesus it couldn't hurt lol. The less exposure the better.
The GVWR of my 9/98 coupe is also 3792. Interesting as I've never noticed that some are different.
Old 05-25-2023 | 12:26 PM
gbarron
Pro

[QUOTE= But I'm also curious about if my car has a build date of Jan 98, was presumably started in 1997. Where did the car sit for over a year before being sold new in the USA as a 1999? Wondering if they sat around for a year or what was happening with them. Is it possible that after they were built and sitting there could a dealer in the USA order it with additional options added at the factory but not to the frunk sticker as it's already been built . I mean where would a dealer in the USA get sport chassis and light weight wheels to be added under dealer options? He wouldn't get then anywhere but the factory. I assume they were added after the car was marked and stamped built in Jan 1998.[/QUOTE]

All early 996's destined for the North American market were sold as 1999 models regardless of build date. Your car did not sit anywhere for a year, it was built at the factory in January of 1998 and shipped/sold in the US as a 1999 model, probably sometime in March/April of 1998. You can run your VIN here for a nominal fee to see the actual build day and invoice to dealer date: https://vinanalytics.com/

The descrepancies from your under hood sticker and window sticker might also be explained with this report. If the options on your window sticker do not show up on this report then there is a good chance they were possibly added at the dealership.
The following users liked this post:
Boss_Angeles (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023 | 12:32 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Originally Posted by gbarron
All early 996's destined for the North American market were sold as 1999 models regardless of build date. Your car did not sit anywhere for a year, it was built at the factory in January of 1998 and shipped/sold in the US as a 1999 model, probably sometime in March/April of 1998. You can run your VIN here for a nominal fee to see the actual build day and invoice to dealer date: https://vinanalytics.com/

The descrepancies from your under hood sticker and window sticker might also be explained with this report. If the options on your window sticker do not show up on this report then there is a good chance they were possibly added at the dealership.
I don’t believe VinAnalytics works on 1999’s.
Old 05-25-2023 | 01:12 PM
gbarron
Pro

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
I don’t believe VinAnalytics works on 1999’s.
It worked on mine...they have access to the same data base that the Porsche dealers have.
Old 05-25-2023 | 01:25 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

It worked on mine...they have access to the same data base that the Porsche dealers have.
You’re right. I was thinking of the decoder on StuttCars website.
Old 05-25-2023 | 02:42 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Was it worth the $12.99? Did you learn anything you didn't already know? Thinking about entering mine, thanks!
Old 05-25-2023 | 03:25 PM
gbarron
Pro

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Was it worth the $12.99? Did you learn anything you didn't already know? Thinking about entering mine, thanks!
Absolutely worth it...it's basically the same as a Porsche COA for a fraction of the price. It gives you everything on record in the Porsche database including S/N's of your engine & trans installed at the factory, DME S/N, build day, invoice date, etc. It also lists all standard equipment installed and options including any "Sonderwunsch" or "Werk1" diversions.
The following users liked this post:
Woodman71 (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023 | 04:07 PM
Owain
Instructor

I have some questions, my cars build date is 01/98. It's a manual 6 speed, with no tc button, no tc dash lights or anything like that if that was a thing not sure I don't have them. I have no obc lever or thing on the column just turn signal lever, wipers lever and a cruise control lever. Nothing on my IC is digital or has menus of any kind so I assume it's a no obc car. I can easily spin the tires, dump the clutch and do burnouts so I assume I have no tc. My burnouts are also from both rear tires. If I have the car on jack stands, and turn one rear wheel the opposite side will turn with it. If I spin the wheels one direction and go to the opposite side and catch the wheel or try to turn it the opposite way you can't it stops the other side and spins the same direction. I assume that's LSD? What am I missing? Whats the difference between lsd and locking rear diff on the options code master list? Despite all that my sticker under the hood doesn't list much of anything for options. Including LSD or locking rear diff. However there's a ton of option codes on the master list for things my car has that's not listed on the sticker either. Example power mirrors, rear leather seats, rear seat belts and on and on. The only thing I have listed on my sticker for options is 8 way power seats pass and driver. I also have memory seat positions/buttons but don't have that code listed. You started that lsd was always paired with tc but I don't think I have tc I'm pretty certain I don't and I'm pretty certain I have lsd? What I don't have is option codes for anything really. It's a 3.4 cable car, cable trunk releases, came artic silver. Is there numbers I can look for on the car to determine lsd from factory anything differently stamped or tagged anywhere? I'm wondering if option codes were listed on decals if the dealer selected something beyond what the car had as standard. Not sure what was considered standard equipment some option codes state standard somethings like rear seats belts aren't marked standard and I assume they were for any us car but I don't know anything for sure just trying to learn.
If you have factory LSD you should have options 220 (40% locking LSD), 222(Traction Control) and 224 (Active Braking Differential) on your frunk options sticker. I'm no expert, but from what I've read if you have 220 then you also have 222 and 224. Mine has all of those, along with the switch on the dash for TC and the indicator light in the cluster. If you have the functionality of an LSD, but not the option code on your sticker nor the button on the dash then likely it's an aftermarket one, or at least added after delivery. Mine no longer works, anyway, have to replace it with something else :-P

As far as I know, all cars had the OBC, but if you didn't buy the option then it's not turned on in the computer and you didn't get the fourth stalk. If you want to enable it you can have the functionality turned on with a Durametric (and the outside air temp will show up below the digital speed), install the fourth stalk and run a couple of wires into the cluster. I have all the parts for mine, I just have to get it installed :-)
Old 05-25-2023 | 04:11 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Absolutely worth it...it's basically the same as a Porsche COA for a fraction of the price. It gives you everything on record in the Porsche database including S/N's of your engine & trans installed at the factory, DME S/N, build day, invoice date, etc. It also lists all standard equipment installed and options including any "Sonderwunsch" or "Werk1" diversions.
Well, I did it. Half of the options were in German (thanks, Google translate).

I didn't really find anything I didn't already know, except for these two funny sounding options:

661 TIGHTENED EXHAUST CONCEPT
032 RAISED CHASSIS

Oh, and I know my gearbox SN now, too!
Old 05-25-2023 | 05:08 PM
gbarron
Pro

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Well, I did it. Half of the options were in German (thanks, Google translate).

I didn't really find anything I didn't already know, except for these two funny sounding options:

661 TIGHTENED EXHAUST CONCEPT
032 RAISED CHASSIS

Oh, and I know my gearbox SN now, too!
032 = Touring Suspension (higher suspension to meet American lighting regulations)
661 = Stricter Emission-Control Concept (also for the American market)
The following 2 users liked this post by gbarron:
peterp (05-27-2023), Woodman71 (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023 | 05:43 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

032 = Touring Suspension (higher suspension to meet American lighting regulations)
661 = Stricter Emission-Control Concept (also for the American market)
Dang, and here I was thinking I had one of those rare "Monster Truck" options!

Thank you for the translation. It also confirms I don't have the LSD option, which is what I figured.
Old 05-25-2023 | 06:33 PM
GH996
Rennlist Member

I had (GT3 delete) the Nav unit on my 1999 and all the OBC options were enabled and viewable without the 4th stalk.
Old 05-25-2023 | 06:53 PM
Owain
Instructor

Originally Posted by GH996
I had (GT3 delete) the Nav unit on my 1999 and all the OBC options were enabled and viewable without the 4th stalk.
Oh, cool, good to know. Yeah, it's all there. Once you enable it and it shows the temp you just need a way to scroll through the other options. I guess the nav will do that if you don't have the stalk.
Old 06-13-2023 | 08:42 PM
70RR
5th Gear

So help me understand, do I have an" astronomically rare find? " 1999 996 build date 3/98 coupe, manual US car, arena red/savana beige, Amber reflectors, cable throttle. only options listed are co2 288 425,437,438,490,537,892(cant seem to find it) so no traction control, or LSD, or OBD computer, no button on dash, no 4th lever. 4 pronged sterring wheel, thin vinyl head liner, buffalo dash, granite plastic, 72,000 miles, clean Blackstone, IMS being done now. I just signed up for the early 996 registry. email is rweswilson1@***.net Thank you
The following 2 users liked this post by 70RR:
Boss_Angeles (06-02-2024), F. Thumb (06-13-2023)

Quick Reply: What makes the 1999 so special anyway??