Sponsored by:

What makes the 1999 so special anyway??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 06:29 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,775 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Originally Posted by Krulm;[url=tel:18569582
18569582[/url]]Close but no cigar! I'm at 67k miles and about as base as it gets, best I can tell. At least I got the option that puts the steering wheel on the correct side.
Haha, how do they drive in Germany? What side I mean. 😜

The following users liked this post:
Krulm (01-13-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 10:58 PM
Krulm
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
Early builds must have Ambers no matter if visually pleasing or not. LOL. I resisted on my white car
Fair enough, made her whole again.

The following 2 users liked this post by Krulm:
F. Thumb (02-06-2023), jobyt (02-17-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 03:37 PM
alprus
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Sharing my 5/99 build. Bought it certified pre-owned over 20 yrs ago. Important option for me when buying was the LSD. Perfect for tracking. Just click the TC off and go.
Additions by me right after purchasing:
OEM Aero front and side spoilers
OEM ROW M030 suspension
OEM Sport Exhaust
OEM Short Shift Kit
OEM Console Delete
OEM 3rd Radiator (was added later)

Last edited by alprus; 02-16-2023 at 03:38 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by alprus:
2mAn (05-23-2023), 98911s (02-16-2023), brontosaurus (02-23-2023), EVOMMM (02-16-2023), jobyt (02-17-2023), Krulm (02-16-2023), Tangerine Dream (02-16-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-17-2023, 03:17 PM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 180 Posts

great looking car. Nicely spec'd
Old 03-31-2023, 03:55 PM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 355 Posts

Question -- if a 99 has clear tail lights, but amber headlights, does that mean one or the other was replaced at some point?
Old 03-31-2023, 04:02 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 448 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by brontosaurus
Question -- if a 99 has clear tail lights, but amber headlights, does that mean one or the other was replaced at some point?
No one knows with 100% certainty. Most of us would assume yes, but Porsche has historically done some wonky mismatching of parts on cars over the years. Especially during mid-cycle refreshes/changes (roughly August through September of 1998 in this case).
brontosaurus (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 09:02 PM
marshmlow
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
No one knows with 100% certainty. Most of us would assume yes, but Porsche has historically done some wonky mismatching of parts on cars over the years. Especially during mid-cycle refreshes/changes (roughly August through September of 1998 in this case).
Building on this a bit, I guess it also depends on the build date of the specific one you are looking at. Meaning, if it was built early in 1998 (exact month to be debated), then you can probably assume it came with full ambers. Conversely, if it was built in late 1998 or 1999, then chances are it came with full clear.

However, as islaTurbine mentioned, there is no definitive, sure fire way to know exactly what Porsche did and when they did it.
islaTurbine (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 10:28 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by brontosaurus
IMHO, they would have matched from the factory. People would swap out the amber tail lights with clear ones because frankly, they were cheap which is not the case for the front headlight enclosures especially when replacing them with true OEM litronics.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:09 AM
Garage19builds
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bdronsick
There is no other single 911 model year that is so unique within its own generation, as MY1999.

And then, even within MY1999, there is the "early-build" '99 variant in amber lenses, that is even less numerous (only 3,649 known examples worldwide), and even more unique!

Here is the unified list of what we've gathered on these beauties over the past 24 years;

I. General MY1999 Uniquenesses overall:

1. Dual-row original IMSB, that is eminently more durable than the later single-row design introduced mid-2000 production. First half of MY2K production cars use the 1999 dual-row as well. Anecdotal evidence suggests less than 1% failure rate for these original 1999 dual-row IMSB units. I personally drove a former MY1999 to 160K miles with original IMSB without issue (sold the car AFAIK still going strong)

2. Legacy 911 cable throttle (C2 only, not C4). Like all previous 911's before 996, you decide how much gas the motor gets with your right foot. With later >MY2K "eGas" the ECU decides this for you.

3. Manual actuation front and rear trunk latches. If the battery dies it can be instantly accessed for charging by simple lever pull. MK2K shares this feature, but with later >MY2001 cars the trunk's operation is electrified through the ECU, making dead battery access astronomically difficult (if not virtually impossible) through a latched trunk.

4. No "nannies" (TC/PSM/PASM etc...). TC (Traction Control), which was a sort of prehistoric precursor to PSM (Porsche Stability Management), was actually only optional in MY1999. So I personally sought out only 1999's without TC; this isn't possible on the >MK2K and later PSM cars. And of course it's all become a downhill slide into auto-driving electronica from there 997> (PASM, etc...). Thus a true "no nanny" 1999 996 (TC delete) is not only an astronomically rare find, it is the only actual 100% "analog" driving water-cooled 911 in existence, except for full blown GT and racing variants that weren't sold in the U.S. until MKII 2002>.

NOTE: A few owners on Rennlist over the years have claimed their MKII C2 as being optioned with no-PSM, however all MY2000 and later 911's had the eGas computer controlled throttle body; as do all the GT's.

Therefore the Traction-Control-Delete MY1999 is the only 100% "analog" water-cooled 911 ever made! (IE cable throttle + hydraulic steering + NO driver's assistance technology)

5. "Buffalo Hyde" dash and "Granite" interior materials. Some consider these unique, if not quirky, 1999 interior materials superior in look, feel, and durability to the later "Pleather" & "soft touch" rubberized surfaces fitted MY2K> and later. Indeed complaints about 996 "plastic-y" interior materials regard the later MY2K> versions; which is quite ironic as the M2K> standard "Pleather" dash material is apparently identical to the previous 964/993. See "early 1999" list below for additional <09/98 clarification.

6. Optional LSD (limited slip differential). This optional feature available only MY1999 can be important to drivers who track their cars. Unfortunately LSD was always paired with TC, so the "holy grail" of LSD and no-TC is only possible on the 1999 GT3 that was never delivered to North America. A "no nanny" 1999 (see #4 above) is the closest one can get to this "grail" 996 in the United States.

7. Legacy 993 headliner material; uses original 911 lightweight vinyl instead of the much thicker and heavier Alcantara MY2K> & later, that required more finicky and noisome metal supports. Lends another “solid” vintage touch to the MY1999 interior that 911 purists love.

8. No OBC (on board computer) as standard. For the "purist" sect the early 1999's that did not choose the OBC option (#659) came both without the computer display in the dash, and missing the fourth steering control stalk for OBC operation. Some enjoy the increased left leg room. OBC functions are nonetheless present in all 996 ECU, and can be enabled on the early 1999 by fitting a functioning switch into a dash or console button blank slot for this purpose. Regardless the lack of OBC control stalk and simpler gauges readout lends yet another "vintage" aura to the early 1999 interior for purists.

***FYI, pair an OBC-Delete with TC-Delete (see #4 above) and you have the "holy grail" of zero-nannies, analog modern 911's in the United States. Find one with #408 "Technology" wheels fitted (see #4 second list just below) and you're likely looking at an ultra-lightweight: "one-of-one"

II. Specific Early-Build '99 (Ambers) Uniquenesses: Subset of MY1999 with build date stickers from 11/97 - 08/98

NOTE: MY1999 was in production from end of 1997 well into 1999; almost three years and 30K total units produced across all versions (cabs, tips, C4, GT3, etc.). However "early build" '99 C2 units were only hand-built for nine months of alternating production on a single assembly line, and this was in sequence with outgoing 1998 993 cars; rendering only a fractional early-build '99 production total compared with MY1999 overall.

By VIN's this limited "early build" '99 C2 production has been determined to be 3,649 units total. Most early-build 996 pre-production was dedicated to the MY1998 ROW launch, and PCNA only imported a fraction of these early-builds as MY1999 to the U.S.

The Rennlist "Early-Build 99 Registry" is attempting to document all early-99 cars in the U.S.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ispreloading=1

1. "Hand assembled" in sequence with the outgoing 993 production cars on their assembly line. Classic 911 engineering guru Jake Raby, and many others, have noted a tangibly increased "build quality" with these "early build" '99 cars. I personally find no quality deficiency in any 996 of any year, however I can attest the "early build" 99's do "feel" indestructible somehow, in a kind of ineffable way. The squeaks, creaks & rattles seemingly ubiquitous on classic 911's, and the subsequent water-cooled generations that followed, are strangely absent on these early-build '99 "tanks".

2. Amber-lenses head and tail lights. Affectionately known for their "fried eggs" moniker, these singularly unique (see note below) lighting units were fitted exclusively on the limited, "early build" '99 production run on the 993 assembly line. Anecdotally its believed Porsche fitted the special amber lighting to "commemorate" the brief, early-production run, as this "changing of the guard" was celebrated internally by Porsche far more than Marketing allowed the factory to share publicly. For example a much higher than usual percentage of these "early build" '99 cars were internal Porsche "Executive" orders (included under "Sonderwunsch", or "Special Wishes" option code #09991), and most of these likely remain "in the family" to this day. Even The Porsche Museum utilizes a disproportionately high number of "early-build" '99 amber lenses examples in both live installations on site, and all its social media/advertising involving the now "Porsche Classic" Type 996. IE, Americans may not be hoarding early-build 996's yet, but Porsche employees & insiders have been curating them for decades.

NOTE: It is a misbelief that the MKI 996 and Boxster share headlights; not true at all. Factory part numbers differ between the two Porsche models, and the 911 unit is twice the replacement cost of the Boxster's. The internal frame and wiring harness connector are similar enough, however, to allow Boxster headlights to be used as replacements in 996's (to save $$$); although both should be replaced together due to the stark aesthetic differences between the 996 & Boxster headlights when actually observed together.

Additionally because several have asked, it should be noted the unique 996 headlights used on the MKI Carrera, are identical to those fitted on the 996 GT1 Strassenversion, and MKI 996 GT3 models as well.

3. Color-thru "Granite" interior materials (nicknamed "Sparkle"). This original early 1999 "Granite" material was manufactured by the same company, and used in Rolls Royce's of the same generation. It's very distinctive, and unique. And very nearly indestructible. Later 1999 (>09/98) cars switched to a color-applied granite-like material which is somewhat less durable than the earlier color-thru material; but remains vastly more durable than the rubberized stuff that was used MY2000 and later.

4. Ultra Lightweight #408 BBS "Technology" wheels: An extremely light 993 narrow fitment Turbo wheel option #408 was commissioned by Porsche from BBS, and also made available to "early-build" MY1999. To date these #408's are the lightest 18" wheels ever offered by Porsche (YES, lighter by almost two pounds than the fabled MY02 "Carerra II Lightweights"), and the early-build 1999's lucky enough to have been so equipped actually weigh less than 2,900 lbs total; rendering these scant few MY1999 examples the lightest road-legal 911's ever built with 300HP+. And given the option was only available briefly during early-build MY1999 production, there were few enough configured this way for these variants to now be considered extremely rare; which is exceptional for any "modern" Porsche.

Official #408 996 narrow fitment hollow spoke weights:
993.362.134.05- Front: 7.5” = 18.9LBs
993.362.140.01- Rear: 10” = 23.3LBs
Source: http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php

I have some questions, my cars build date is 01/98. It's a manual 6 speed, with no tc button, no tc dash lights or anything like that if that was a thing not sure I don't have them. I have no obc lever or thing on the column just turn signal lever, wipers lever and a cruise control lever. Nothing on my IC is digital or has menus of any kind so I assume it's a no obc car. I can easily spin the tires, dump the clutch and do burnouts so I assume I have no tc. My burnouts are also from both rear tires. If I have the car on jack stands, and turn one rear wheel the opposite side will turn with it. If I spin the wheels one direction and go to the opposite side and catch the wheel or try to turn it the opposite way you can't it stops the other side and spins the same direction. I assume that's LSD? What am I missing? Whats the difference between lsd and locking rear diff on the options code master list? Despite all that my sticker under the hood doesn't list much of anything for options. Including LSD or locking rear diff. However there's a ton of option codes on the master list for things my car has that's not listed on the sticker either. Example power mirrors, rear leather seats, rear seat belts and on and on. The only thing I have listed on my sticker for options is 8 way power seats pass and driver. I also have memory seat positions/buttons but don't have that code listed. You started that lsd was always paired with tc but I don't think I have tc I'm pretty certain I don't and I'm pretty certain I have lsd? What I don't have is option codes for anything really. It's a 3.4 cable car, cable trunk releases, came artic silver. Is there numbers I can look for on the car to determine lsd from factory anything differently stamped or tagged anywhere? I'm wondering if option codes were listed on decals if the dealer selected something beyond what the car had as standard. Not sure what was considered standard equipment some option codes state standard somethings like rear seats belts aren't marked standard and I assume they were for any us car but I don't know anything for sure just trying to learn.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:26 AM
Garage19builds
Advanced

Originally Posted by bdronsick
There is no other single 911 model year that is so unique within its own generation, as MY1999.

And then, even within MY1999, there is the "early-build" '99 variant in amber lenses, that is even less numerous (only 3,649 known examples worldwide), and even more unique!

Here is the unified list of what we've gathered on these beauties over the past 24 years;

I. General MY1999 Uniquenesses overall:

1. Dual-row original IMSB, that is eminently more durable than the later single-row design introduced mid-2000 production. First half of MY2K production cars use the 1999 dual-row as well. Anecdotal evidence suggests less than 1% failure rate for these original 1999 dual-row IMSB units. I personally drove a former MY1999 to 160K miles with original IMSB without issue (sold the car AFAIK still going strong)

2. Legacy 911 cable throttle (C2 only, not C4). Like all previous 911's before 996, you decide how much gas the motor gets with your right foot. With later >MY2K "eGas" the ECU decides this for you.

3. Manual actuation front and rear trunk latches. If the battery dies it can be instantly accessed for charging by simple lever pull. MK2K shares this feature, but with later >MY2001 cars the trunk's operation is electrified through the ECU, making dead battery access astronomically difficult (if not virtually impossible) through a latched trunk.

4. No "nannies" (TC/PSM/PASM etc...). TC (Traction Control), which was a sort of prehistoric precursor to PSM (Porsche Stability Management), was actually only optional in MY1999. So I personally sought out only 1999's without TC; this isn't possible on the >MK2K and later PSM cars. And of course it's all become a downhill slide into auto-driving electronica from there 997> (PASM, etc...). Thus a true "no nanny" 1999 996 (TC delete) is not only an astronomically rare find, it is the only actual 100% "analog" driving water-cooled 911 in existence, except for full blown GT and racing variants that weren't sold in the U.S. until MKII 2002>.

NOTE: A few owners on Rennlist over the years have claimed their MKII C2 as being optioned with no-PSM, however all MY2000 and later 911's had the eGas computer controlled throttle body; as do all the GT's.

Therefore the Traction-Control-Delete MY1999 is the only 100% "analog" water-cooled 911 ever made! (IE cable throttle + hydraulic steering + NO driver's assistance technology)

5. "Buffalo Hyde" dash and "Granite" interior materials. Some consider these unique, if not quirky, 1999 interior materials superior in look, feel, and durability to the later "Pleather" & "soft touch" rubberized surfaces fitted MY2K> and later. Indeed complaints about 996 "plastic-y" interior materials regard the later MY2K> versions; which is quite ironic as the M2K> standard "Pleather" dash material is apparently identical to the previous 964/993. See "early 1999" list below for additional <09/98 clarification.

6. Optional LSD (limited slip differential). This optional feature available only MY1999 can be important to drivers who track their cars. Unfortunately LSD was always paired with TC, so the "holy grail" of LSD and no-TC is only possible on the 1999 GT3 that was never delivered to North America. A "no nanny" 1999 (see #4 above) is the closest one can get to this "grail" 996 in the United States.

7. Legacy 993 headliner material; uses original 911 lightweight vinyl instead of the much thicker and heavier Alcantara MY2K> & later, that required more finicky and noisome metal supports. Lends another “solid” vintage touch to the MY1999 interior that 911 purists love.

8. No OBC (on board computer) as standard. For the "purist" sect the early 1999's that did not choose the OBC option (#659) came both without the computer display in the dash, and missing the fourth steering control stalk for OBC operation. Some enjoy the increased left leg room. OBC functions are nonetheless present in all 996 ECU, and can be enabled on the early 1999 by fitting a functioning switch into a dash or console button blank slot for this purpose. Regardless the lack of OBC control stalk and simpler gauges readout lends yet another "vintage" aura to the early 1999 interior for purists.

***FYI, pair an OBC-Delete with TC-Delete (see #4 above) and you have the "holy grail" of zero-nannies, analog modern 911's in the United States. Find one with #408 "Technology" wheels fitted (see #4 second list just below) and you're likely looking at an ultra-lightweight: "one-of-one"

II. Specific Early-Build '99 (Ambers) Uniquenesses: Subset of MY1999 with build date stickers from 11/97 - 08/98

NOTE: MY1999 was in production from end of 1997 well into 1999; almost three years and 30K total units produced across all versions (cabs, tips, C4, GT3, etc.). However "early build" '99 C2 units were only hand-built for nine months of alternating production on a single assembly line, and this was in sequence with outgoing 1998 993 cars; rendering only a fractional early-build '99 production total compared with MY1999 overall.

By VIN's this limited "early build" '99 C2 production has been determined to be 3,649 units total. Most early-build 996 pre-production was dedicated to the MY1998 ROW launch, and PCNA only imported a fraction of these early-builds as MY1999 to the U.S.

The Rennlist "Early-Build 99 Registry" is attempting to document all early-99 cars in the U.S.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ispreloading=1

1. "Hand assembled" in sequence with the outgoing 993 production cars on their assembly line. Classic 911 engineering guru Jake Raby, and many others, have noted a tangibly increased "build quality" with these "early build" '99 cars. I personally find no quality deficiency in any 996 of any year, however I can attest the "early build" 99's do "feel" indestructible somehow, in a kind of ineffable way. The squeaks, creaks & rattles seemingly ubiquitous on classic 911's, and the subsequent water-cooled generations that followed, are strangely absent on these early-build '99 "tanks".

2. Amber-lenses head and tail lights. Affectionately known for their "fried eggs" moniker, these singularly unique (see note below) lighting units were fitted exclusively on the limited, "early build" '99 production run on the 993 assembly line. Anecdotally its believed Porsche fitted the special amber lighting to "commemorate" the brief, early-production run, as this "changing of the guard" was celebrated internally by Porsche far more than Marketing allowed the factory to share publicly. For example a much higher than usual percentage of these "early build" '99 cars were internal Porsche "Executive" orders (included under "Sonderwunsch", or "Special Wishes" option code #09991), and most of these likely remain "in the family" to this day. Even The Porsche Museum utilizes a disproportionately high number of "early-build" '99 amber lenses examples in both live installations on site, and all its social media/advertising involving the now "Porsche Classic" Type 996. IE, Americans may not be hoarding early-build 996's yet, but Porsche employees & insiders have been curating them for decades.

NOTE: It is a misbelief that the MKI 996 and Boxster share headlights; not true at all. Factory part numbers differ between the two Porsche models, and the 911 unit is twice the replacement cost of the Boxster's. The internal frame and wiring harness connector are similar enough, however, to allow Boxster headlights to be used as replacements in 996's (to save $$$); although both should be replaced together due to the stark aesthetic differences between the 996 & Boxster headlights when actually observed together.

Additionally because several have asked, it should be noted the unique 996 headlights used on the MKI Carrera, are identical to those fitted on the 996 GT1 Strassenversion, and MKI 996 GT3 models as well.

3. Color-thru "Granite" interior materials (nicknamed "Sparkle"). This original early 1999 "Granite" material was manufactured by the same company, and used in Rolls Royce's of the same generation. It's very distinctive, and unique. And very nearly indestructible. Later 1999 (>09/98) cars switched to a color-applied granite-like material which is somewhat less durable than the earlier color-thru material; but remains vastly more durable than the rubberized stuff that was used MY2000 and later.

4. Ultra Lightweight #408 BBS "Technology" wheels: An extremely light 993 narrow fitment Turbo wheel option #408 was commissioned by Porsche from BBS, and also made available to "early-build" MY1999. To date these #408's are the lightest 18" wheels ever offered by Porsche (YES, lighter by almost two pounds than the fabled MY02 "Carerra II Lightweights"), and the early-build 1999's lucky enough to have been so equipped actually weigh less than 2,900 lbs total; rendering these scant few MY1999 examples the lightest road-legal 911's ever built with 300HP+. And given the option was only available briefly during early-build MY1999 production, there were few enough configured this way for these variants to now be considered extremely rare; which is exceptional for any "modern" Porsche.

Official #408 996 narrow fitment hollow spoke weights:
993.362.134.05- Front: 7.5” = 18.9LBs
993.362.140.01- Rear: 10” = 23.3LBs
Source: http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php

Also not sure if this is relevant to anything but I noticed other peoples door tags have GVWR of 4xxxlbs, mine is 37xx. Not sure where the 300+lb difference is on all the 99s who's tags I happened to see or if it means anything that's helpful.
Old 05-23-2023, 08:45 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garage19builds;[url=tel:18817764
18817764[/url]]I have some questions, my cars build date is 01/98. It's a manual 6 speed, with no tc button, no tc dash lights or anything like that if that was a thing not sure I don't have them. I have no obc lever or thing on the column just turn signal lever, wipers lever and a cruise control lever. Nothing on my IC is digital or has menus of any kind so I assume it's a no obc car. I can easily spin the tires, dump the clutch and do burnouts so I assume I have no tc. My burnouts are also from both rear tires. If I have the car on jack stands, and turn one rear wheel the opposite side will turn with it. If I spin the wheels one direction and go to the opposite side and catch the wheel or try to turn it the opposite way you can't it stops the other side and spins the same direction. I assume that's LSD? What am I missing? Whats the difference between lsd and locking rear diff on the options code master list? Despite all that my sticker under the hood doesn't list much of anything for options. Including LSD or locking rear diff. However there's a ton of option codes on the master list for things my car has that's not listed on the sticker either. Example power mirrors, rear leather seats, rear seat belts and on and on. The only thing I have listed on my sticker for options is 8 way power seats pass and driver. I also have memory seat positions/buttons but don't have that code listed. You started that lsd was always paired with tc but I don't think I have tc I'm pretty certain I don't and I'm pretty certain I have lsd? What I don't have is option codes for anything really. It's a 3.4 cable car, cable trunk releases, came artic silver. Is there numbers I can look for on the car to determine lsd from factory anything differently stamped or tagged anywhere? I'm wondering if option codes were listed on decals if the dealer selected something beyond what the car had as standard. Not sure what was considered standard equipment some option codes state standard somethings like rear seats belts aren't marked standard and I assume they were for any us car but I don't know anything for sure just trying to learn.
Someone could have installed an aftermarket LSD in your car. The 99’s that I have with LSD also has TC and ABD, 2 other option codes that go along with the LSD.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:38 PM
Garage19builds
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
Someone could have installed an aftermarket LSD in your car. The 99’s that I have with LSD also has TC and ABD, 2 other option codes that go along with the LSD.
The car had 2 owners prior to me and it came with paperwork and receipt starting with the window sticker to the last time it had a car fax ran prior to me buying it. Literally have receipts for light bulbs, all dealer maintenance all on schedule all with recites. So I would have a hard time believing they had an lsd put in the car and didn't keep the receipts i have a binder 3 inches thick, original key code cards radio cards, they kept everything.This car must have been built in 1997 to have door tag build date of Jan 98 it must have been started in late 97. There's alot of different things about this car that doesn't add up when compared to other 996s. There's quite a bit of options listed on the original window/dealer sticker that are not on the sticker under the hood as well.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:11 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garage19builds;[url=tel:18819046
18819046[/url]]The car had 2 owners prior to me and it came with paperwork and receipt starting with the window sticker to the last time it had a car fax ran prior to me buying it. Literally have receipts for light bulbs, all dealer maintenance all on schedule all with recites. So I would have a hard time believing they had an lsd put in the car and didn't keep the receipts i have a binder 3 inches thick, original key code cards radio cards, they kept everything.This car must have been built in 1997 to have door tag build date of Jan 98 it must have been started in late 97. There's alot of different things about this car that doesn't add up when compared to other 996s. There's quite a bit of options listed on the original window/dealer sticker that are not on the sticker under the hood as well.
Interesting. You bring up some good points. And also some head scratches (not red flags, but suspect info maybe). Perhaps a call into Porsche to see what they have to say? Can you post the options you have listed? Maybe some folks here will know.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:28 PM
gbarron
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Garage19builds
The car had 2 owners prior to me and it came with paperwork and receipt starting with the window sticker to the last time it had a car fax ran prior to me buying it. Literally have receipts for light bulbs, all dealer maintenance all on schedule all with recites. So I would have a hard time believing they had an lsd put in the car and didn't keep the receipts i have a binder 3 inches thick, original key code cards radio cards, they kept everything.This car must have been built in 1997 to have door tag build date of Jan 98 it must have been started in late 97. There's alot of different things about this car that doesn't add up when compared to other 996s. There's quite a bit of options listed on the original window/dealer sticker that are not on the sticker under the hood as well.
Specific items listed on the window sticker are not necessarily considered "options" as many were included as standard equipment depending on the model ordered. If you can post up a picture of the window sticker and the sticker under the front hood it might help explain the descrepancy.
Boss_Angeles (05-24-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 07:21 PM
BossAngeles
Advanced

Received 68 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Nov 99 Build

Enjoying the passionate “Vive La difference” discussion. I have the granite gray as well. Here’s my window sticker and I’m the original owner.

Today

When i got the car
The following 3 users liked this post by BossAngeles:
brontosaurus (05-25-2023), GC996 (05-23-2023), Woodman71 (05-25-2023)

Quick Reply: What makes the 1999 so special anyway??