996 RSR (Flying Lizard)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 09:28 AM
ducktales66
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 996clubsport
I wish I had enough down time to make it’s own thread. Between building this, raising our first born, and work there isn’t much tile left in the day :/
it’s take 5 years to source parts Bc they’re all oem. It took over two years to build. There’s times where I decide to go deeper down the rabbit whole and fitting the parts. Learning what Porsche did through its motorsports endeavors is a whole other area of time. Just the underbody carbon cost 10k and good luck sourcing a set. All the body parts are oem carbon, even the hood. The suspension is all gt3 rsr, including the brakes. Those brakes used and new was around 10k. All the ducting for brakes and cooling. I built the headlights to work for the street with oem mounting brackets. Oem Clubsport cage. I went with csf radiators which made fitting the bumper a nightmare Bc they’re thicker than what the R cars ran. I’m running an electric oem ps setup and going to be running an electric ac setup at some point. No ebrake due to grandam brakes. I used some uk rhd interior pieces when deleting hood releases and electric mirrors. I also plan to do a 997 3.8 motor swap for 400 hp, that’s the motor you see in the background. My weight goal is 2700lbs. I’m also waiting to get enough extra cash to get a set of carbon street doors. Any one want to sponsor that lol

I can just go on and on on what has been done. I know there’s at least 100k invested in to this build.
WOW - yer you have done yours properly. I'm going very much more aesthetics and a few bits and bobs! More of a beach weights kind of guy :-D :-D :-D
Old 08-19-2021, 09:30 AM
work_truck
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 337 Posts

Finishing my Gt3R build up. It was a lot more than what is being speculated. Took 5 years to collect the parts and over 2 years to build it to this point.
and only 2 more years to line up the panel gaps
Old 08-19-2021, 09:44 AM
996clubsport
Banned

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

What lines does the peanut think is off?

Last edited by 996clubsport; 08-19-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:49 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

Those parts ain’t for the sweater around the neck, which radio should I put in my car crowd.

I’d drink that hate up like fine whiskey.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:03 AM
996clubsport
Banned

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
Those parts ain’t for the sweater around the neck, which radio should I put in my car crowd.

I’d drink that hate up like fine whiskey.
I know it’s 9 am but a glass sounds amazing right now
Old 08-19-2021, 11:17 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by ducktales66
Thanks Dr Stangelove.

The sky isn't necessarily the limit as I don't want to completely burn money. Call me crazy/wrong but I would like to think someone would take this off my hands one day for what I'm in for or as I think this will be well considered and very cool project. I am also currently doing an 82 SC backdate (73 RS) which whilst is a completely different car and popular, is a similar concept/idea (cheap base car, build over time properly, put a lot of thought in, get the right people to do it) etc etc. My backdate looks like a £100k ($140k USD) car and sounds amazing, when in fact its worth half of that.

The kit, fabrication and wheels are agreed at around £25k ($35k) which I plan on doing first plus suspension will need to be done (as I can't drive the thing without the front lift kit, can't fit the front lift without knowing/buying the suspension of choice. Perhaps exhaust, seats and half cage. Then do brakes and engine at a later stage.

Probably aim to spend another £25k ($35k USD) over time so £50k ($70k USD) all in.

When I say I can't afford a GT3 I mean I can't afford the GT3 as a base car as you are looking at £80k ($110k USD) just for the base car plus the RSR works of £30k-50k ($40k-70k USD). Whereas my C2 was £17k ($23k USD).
You'll never get your money back!
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (08-23-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 11:27 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,833 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I don't think anyone in their right mind would expect to. You'll never get your money back on the FSI engine but then I don't think you plan to ever sell it
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (08-23-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 11:29 AM
ducktales66
Intermediate

Originally Posted by plpete84
I don't think anyone in their right mind would expect to. You'll never get your money back on the FSI engine but then I don't think you plan to ever sell it
sorry plpete but do you mine explaining what you mean by never get money back on the FSI engine? thanks :-)
Old 08-19-2021, 11:36 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,833 Likes on 927 Posts

sorry plpete but do you mine explaining what you mean by never get money back on the FSI engine? thanks :-)
Sure! Let's say you purchased an FSI engine (this applies to just about anything aftermarket, like coilovers, wheels etc) for an X amount of money and decide to sell the car, the chances are slim to none that you will recoup the entire investment you made into the new engine or other aftermarket parts. We've just seen this represented in a recent auction of an awesome car with an awesome engine, however, the market didn't want to pay the amount the owner was hoping for and ended up keeping the car. The return tends to be 30% to 50%, depending on the part in question.

Also, excuse my ignorance in case you're not familiar with FSI (Flat Six Innovation) as I see you're from the other side of the pond They're a popular option for engine rebuilds.

Last edited by plpete84; 08-19-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:42 AM
ducktales66
Intermediate

Originally Posted by plpete84
Sure! Let's say you purchased an FSI engine (this applies to just about anything aftermarket, like coilovers, wheels etc) for an X amount of money and decide to sell the car, the chances are slim to none that you will recoup the entire investment you made into the new engine or other aftermarket parts. We've just seen this represented in a recent auction of an awesome car with an awesome engine, however, the market didn't want to pay the amount the owner was hoping for and ended up keeping the car. The return tends to be 30% to 50%, depending on the part in question.

Also, excuse my ignorance in case you're not familiar with FSI (Flat Six Innovation) as I see you're from the other side of the pond They're a popular option for engine rebuilds.
Got you..thanks..useful :-)
Old 08-19-2021, 11:53 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
FWIW, you guys have probably been all over gt-racing.com website, but you can find many racing body parts.

Just wondering how you get in and out of the driveway...
You'd be surprised, Cargraphic makes a cup kit that adds a small air bag on top of the shock assembly that'll lift the car a couple inches to clear obstacles. They quoted me around 3200 for a front kit and the compressor replaces the OEM tire compressor in the frunk. I believe it's only for GT3 spec'd suspension but when I had my Z, I had a Roboruta kit assembled that I never installed. Cargraphic also sells a front and rear kit as well, just something to keep in mind if you're in market for one. My driveway isn't too steep but the garage door rests in front of a large step going into the garage that is designed to keep the garage door in place if hurricane force winds are pushing on it... I scrape my GT3 lips every time I leave the garage.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:56 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,292 Likes on 1,812 Posts

People have had mixed results with GT Racing and their pricing is a little strange, some stuff seems a little on the low side and other stuff wickedly expensive.

That all said, if I don’t end up putting used stuff on my car - I’ll likely be going with them for some parts in the future.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:39 PM
ducktales66
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Maybe maybe not...there is big demand for road legal cup cars in the UK at the moment. I know lots of people doing similar builds and making £10k-25k a pop.

Also remember...£1 = $1 for some reason with cars in the US so really I would assume I am spending $50k not $75k so isn't so bad. But yes..its a risk :-)
Old 08-21-2021, 08:12 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,931 Likes on 2,234 Posts

Maybe maybe not...there is big demand for road legal cup cars in the UK at the moment. I know lots of people doing similar builds and making £10k-25k a pop.

Also remember...£1 = $1 for some reason with cars in the US so really I would assume I am spending $50k not $75k so isn't so bad. But yes..its a risk :-)
Would love to see you do the project because it's your dream car. But maybe I am missing something...

Exactly how are you going to make a profit of 10-25k converting a street legal 996 NB into the Flying Lizard 996 WB?
Old 08-21-2021, 08:25 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 985 Posts

I wish I had enough down time to make it’s own thread. Between building this, raising our first born, and work there isn’t much tile left in the day :/
it’s take 5 years to source parts Bc they’re all oem. It took over two years to build. There’s times where I decide to go deeper down the rabbit whole and fitting the parts. Learning what Porsche did through its motorsports endeavors is a whole other area of time. Just the underbody carbon cost 10k and good luck sourcing a set. All the body parts are oem carbon, even the hood. The suspension is all gt3 rsr, including the brakes. Those brakes used and new was around 10k. All the ducting for brakes and cooling. I built the headlights to work for the street with oem mounting brackets. Oem Clubsport cage. I went with csf radiators which made fitting the bumper a nightmare Bc they’re thicker than what the R cars ran. I’m running an electric oem ps setup and going to be running an electric ac setup at some point. No ebrake due to grandam brakes. I used some uk rhd interior pieces when deleting hood releases and electric mirrors. I also plan to do a 997 3.8 motor swap for 400 hp, that’s the motor you see in the background. My weight goal is 2700lbs. I’m also waiting to get enough extra cash to get a set of carbon street doors. Any one want to sponsor that lol

I can just go on and on on what has been done. I know there’s at least 100k invested in to this build.
Good god man, maybe one day you can get around to documenting that journey. Seems like it would be a helluva read.

Quick Reply: 996 RSR (Flying Lizard)