996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 aerokit / GT3-lite

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 05:55 PM
junior23
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome! I have the same specs.. 99 Ocean Blue with Graphite Grey interior and aerokit.
Out the modifications I've done so far I'd recommended the 997 shifter, suspension refresh (I did H&R sports with Bilsteins) and exhaust.

The exhaust noise is what really makes these cars enjoyable to drive and brings out the unique flat six character.

Aside from that I'd do the usual maintenance like fluids and filters (don't forget about the fuel filter and P/S fluid) and low temp thermostat with composite wheel water pump (if it hasn't been done recently, or unknown).
Old 07-09-2021, 06:17 PM
Josh Goldsmith
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
Very nice, I happen to like the blue over gray combo - I have a midnight blue over graphite gray/carbon pkg 996.
well...give me something I can fapp to! pics plz
Old 07-09-2021, 06:19 PM
Josh Goldsmith
Track Day

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
If u want to go crazy u can buy a wrecked gt3 and swap everything into your c2... like im doing now.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-the-dust.html

woof! that is pretty badass. what exactly are you swapping over? (I'm not too well versed in the GT3)
Old 07-09-2021, 06:22 PM
Josh Goldsmith
Track Day

Originally Posted by junior23
Welcome! I have the same specs.. 99 Ocean Blue with Graphite Grey interior and aerokit.
Out the modifications I've done so far I'd recommended the 997 shifter, suspension refresh (I did H&R sports with Bilsteins) and exhaust.

The exhaust noise is what really makes these cars enjoyable to drive and brings out the unique flat six character.

Aside from that I'd do the usual maintenance like fluids and filters (don't forget about the fuel filter and P/S fluid) and low temp thermostat with composite wheel water pump (if it hasn't been done recently, or unknown).
ah that's awesome, another OBM w/ aero! where in Canadia are you? if you're near Vancouver, would be cool to meet up for a drive when the border opens back up
Old 07-09-2021, 06:27 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 948 Posts

Luckily the car I bought came with all the aero but was added after the fact.… love the idea of the GT3 Lite.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:43 PM
jdbornem
Pro

Received 493 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by junior23
Is there a thread on here regarding flushing and replacing the P/S fluid?
I've seen plenty on the horror of unique, broken, or stuck fittings. And I've seen on other cars how to disconnect the low pressure line, and turn the wheel to flush the old fluid out, while pouring new in the reservoir. But I haven't seen any guide on the process for the 996. I think the low pressure fitting is behind the AC compressor?
Sorry if this is a thread-jack.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:44 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Goldsmith
well...give me something I can fapp to! pics plz
I'd rather see more pics of your car, it looks very nice.
But if you insist,

Old 07-09-2021, 06:48 PM
Josh Goldsmith
Track Day

Originally Posted by theprf
I'd rather see more pics of your car, it looks very nice.
But if you insist,

more pics of my car coming soon, haven't been taking it out much yet (desperately needs tires and brakes, both getting swapped next week).

didn't mention your car is a turbo! I tend to dislike the carbon package, but with the gray interior it looks so so good. great color combo, looks so sharp on a turbo
Old 07-09-2021, 07:31 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I tend to dislike the carbon package, but with the gray interior it looks so so good. great color combo, looks so sharp on a turbo
Thank you.
I think the carbon pkg does a fantastic job at breaking up the sea of gray. It's got enough contrast and goes very well with the gray. I think the same effect could be got with using just regular black pieces for a much smaller price.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:33 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by neilll
…..GT3 was largely unique because of its engine and there’s no middle ground on that front..
I get that a well respected (deservedly so) engine builder doesn’t have much good to say about them, but I, and Porsche, consider my X51 to be middle ground.😎

The following 3 users liked this post by 85eurocarrera:
EVOMMM (07-09-2021), TheChunkNorris (07-10-2021), Tom Loder (07-13-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 07:42 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 143 Posts

Looks familiar, congrats! I have a Pfister and it's awesome. I upgraded the interior with a bunch of OEM carbon fiber, black leather center console, black leather pieces at the windshield and a bunch more inside. Transformed the interior.

Before:

After:

Name:  KwJs0nr.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  195.8 KB

FYI, mine is a 99 with double row bearing, I'm not going to do anything to it but oil analysis and monitor. If it let's go, I'll just get a short block from Porsche and rebuild it. I don't want to spend 20% of that total cost just to change out the bearing.
The following users liked this post:
JP_Gervs (07-11-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 08:14 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,406 Likes on 1,783 Posts

woof! that is pretty badass. what exactly are you swapping over? (I'm not too well versed in the GT3)
motor, trans, axles, uprights, brakes, abs, wiring harness and anything else i need to get it to work.

Originally Posted by jdbornem
Is there a thread on here regarding flushing and replacing the P/S fluid?
I've seen plenty on the horror of unique, broken, or stuck fittings. And I've seen on other cars how to disconnect the low pressure line, and turn the wheel to flush the old fluid out, while pouring new in the reservoir. But I haven't seen any guide on the process for the 996. I think the low pressure fitting is behind the AC compressor?
Sorry if this is a thread-jack.
Drop motor a little, pull the ac compressor up, seperate the brass fittings above the compressor. U will need 2 sets of line wreches and u wont strip them. Pull tb, plunum and hp line off pump and remove the pump. Drain the fluid and put it back together then put about 10 lbs if air on the open line with a bucket under the other line. Cycle the steering a few times and it will empty the system.
Old 07-09-2021, 09:06 PM
philbert996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 526 Posts

Semi Solid Engine Mounts 👍

Old 07-10-2021, 01:20 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 245 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase.
That color is stunning on an Aero.
Just my $.02, go slow with performance mods.
Getting the suspension, brakes and cooling systems all updated, along with IMSB is a lot of money.
Go slow, enjoy the ride.
There is an incredible amount of knowledge and experience on this forum, so use it.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:31 AM
Josh Goldsmith
Track Day

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Looks familiar, congrats! I have a Pfister and it's awesome. I upgraded the interior with a bunch of OEM carbon fiber, black leather center console, black leather pieces at the windshield and a bunch more inside. Transformed the interior.

Before:

After:

FYI, mine is a 99 with double row bearing, I'm not going to do anything to it but oil analysis and monitor. If it let's go, I'll just get a short block from Porsche and rebuild it. I don't want to spend 20% of that total cost just to change out the bearing.
wow, great work. looks squeaky clean.

Quick Reply: 996 aerokit / GT3-lite