Sponsored by:

996 aerokit / GT3-lite

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2021, 01:31 PM
Josh Goldsmith
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 aerokit / GT3-lite

just bought my first 911. 77k mile 2000 ocean blue metallic over gray int. with factory aerokit and model desi delete. guy I bought it from, bought it ~14 months ago, license plate: STMULS...dumbass

after the PPI checked out, I flew to Spokane, WA and drove it home 5hrs to Seattle (having never driven a 996 before). zero hiccups.

after I do the IMS, brakes, and whatever other servicing is needed next week, I'm considering doing some performance upgrades:
- fister exhaust
- upgraded brakes? recos?
- intake (IPD or Fabspeed? are these worthwhile?)
- headers? (educate me, pls)

I'm fully aware that there really aren't that many performance upgrades to make on these cars, and that losing weight will gain more HP than anything else really. I'm not looking to make her a track monster, but more of a GT3-lite/GT3-touring/canyon carver. I think with the aerokit and model desi delete, having some "GT3-lite" performance upgrades could make this a relatively unique car with tasteful, fun-adding modifications.

looking for input on your own experiences with making performance upgrades to your 996's. has anyone made GT3-specific upgrades to their 996?

Old 07-09-2021, 01:43 PM
wiggle_puppy
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice car!

Coilovers with an aggressive street alignment, Fister exhaust mod or OEM PSE, 997 shifter, sport seats was the route I took and it's been quite transformative.

Consider adding the OEM GT3 console delete. It seems to be sold out in grey but I added a black one to my car and that, along with a few other black accents, looks really good.
Old 07-09-2021, 01:50 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,287 Likes on 1,809 Posts

Big wheels, big sticky tires
Ohlins
Muffler Delete for lightest weight most awesomest sound
All rubber in suspension refreshed
CAE or Numeric shifter
UAOS
Hawk HP+ pads
Sebro slotted rotors
Fresh brake fluid

The following users liked this post:
cwbrown (07-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 01:59 PM
Josh Goldsmith
Track Day

thank you! the color and aerokit combo is what sold me (along with the price and PPI results). I had done 3 PPI's (~$1,200 on cars I didn't buy), and lost out on 4-5 cars I was looking at over the course of 2-3 months (car market is nuts right now). very glad I waited. the bull**** saying "the right car will find you, just be patient" may have some truth to it after all.

any opinions on a Fister vs. OEM PSE?
might sound like a dumb question, but what will the 997 shifter upgrade yield?
sport seats are probably on the docket eventually, I can't get a full rotation currently, realized this use before my 5hr drive home (no ragrets).

can I see some photos of the console delete you did?

also has anyone done PCCM upgrades? I'm debating between the standard size and double din. I feel the ~$300 difference is negligible and should go for the double din, more functional and looks better but curious what others have done.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:03 PM
Josh Goldsmith
Track Day

Originally Posted by zbomb
Big wheels, big sticky tires
Ohlins
Muffler Delete for lightest weight most awesomest sound
All rubber in suspension refreshed
CAE or Numeric shifter
UAOS
Hawk HP+ pads
Sebro slotted rotors
Fresh brake fluid
I'd like to keep the 17" turbo twists I have. they're in good condition and I like the stock look. I know bigger wheels and tires will make a big difference, but I want a stock/sleeper (sleeper contradicts an aerokit but whatever).
I've heard ohlins are great (maybe the best) but I'm worried that it will be too stiff for my purposes (not daily, but still live in a very hilly city, so getting out of the city to twistys I don't want to break my back).
what is a UAOS?
Old 07-09-2021, 02:14 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,287 Likes on 1,809 Posts

The UAOS is a replacement for the factory air oil separator that moves the diaphragm, which is prone to failure to a more serviceable location and adds an in-line reservoir for trapping oil in the PCV system prior to making its way into your intake.

If you’re going to have the gear box off for the IMS service, it makes sense to do the UAOS at the same time as access will be slightly better along with the other stuff you would do in concert with the IMSB - clutch and RMS.

I found the Ohlins to be a lot better in all respects to the factory old stuff I took off my car. Everyone’s butts will vary but my opinion since I got them was there was no downside in ride quality.

I live in MA, the roads by and large blow.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:16 PM
2ata
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

What's "model desi delete"?
Old 07-09-2021, 02:21 PM
Josh Goldsmith
Track Day

ok good to know about Ohlins, appreciate the info. I figured UAOS was just that, but wanted to confirm. sounds like another "while you're in there" for next week.

model desi delete = model designation delete, which means the "carrera" script on the rear decklid has been removed. I believe this was a factory option, but waiting to get my build sheet from Porsche to confirm
Old 07-09-2021, 02:37 PM
jdbornem
Pro

Received 493 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Goldsmith
I've kept my car factory, except for the GT3 console.
This thread has a good discussion, and a couple of pictures. There are other threads as well, but I was having trouble finding them in the search.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...regrets-3.html
Old 07-09-2021, 03:24 PM
neilll
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

sweet car; love the color and the wing

I think the one thing about upgrading any Carrera to imbue it with Gt3 characteristics is that the GT3 was largely unique because of its engine and there’s no middle ground on that front. And so, the remaining things are suspension, wheels, and maybe some weight savings.
The following users liked this post:
dporto (07-11-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 04:16 PM
wiggle_puppy
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

any opinions on a Fister vs. OEM PSE?
might sound like a dumb question, but what will the 997 shifter upgrade yield?
sport seats are probably on the docket eventually, I can't get a full rotation currently, realized this use before my 5hr drive home (no ragrets).

also has anyone done PCCM upgrades? I'm debating between the standard size and double din. I feel the ~$300 difference is negligible and should go for the double din, more functional and looks better but curious what others have done.
You'll want Fister unless you find PSE for super cheap. It's a similar sound but Fister won't be switchable. There is still zero drone and it's 100% worth it. I got my PSE for free (in need of repairs) and my OEM mufflers were already hacked (sloppily) so that's why I went down that route. I haven't tried a muffler delete but I had some very loud, very light mufflers that sounded awesome previously. I sold those because the drone on the highway killed me. My dad has Fisters on his 996 and those would have been my first choice if my original mufflers had been unmodified.

The 997 shifter is just a little shorter. I have a used one with a Function First shift-right kit and it's perfect! No need to spend huge $ on the super fancy shifters. This is how the car should have come from the factory.

The GT3 console delete will prevent you from using a double DIN headunit but I prefer the cleaner look and don't really want a double DIN in my 996 (that's for my daily).

Last edited by wiggle_puppy; 07-09-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:39 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,776 Likes on 1,131 Posts

just bought my first 911. 77k mile 2000 ocean blue metallic over gray int.
Very nice, I happen to like the blue over gray combo - I have a midnight blue over graphite gray/carbon pkg 996.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:45 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 593 Likes on 331 Posts

Congrats on the purchase, OBM is a striking color on any Porsche, the aerokit fits it well.

Exhaust, you can take the mufflers off and drive around the block to see if you'd be okay with muffler delete, I tried it for all of 5 minutes before throwing the stocks back on and bought a set of Billy Boat's (which I love). It's a quick way to a headache and the neighborhood will probably not like you much with no mufflers either. Fister is a popular mod that doesn't break the bank, considering a decent aftermarket exhaust will be around $1,000 and up.

997 shifter I feel the throw is a little shorter, and also a little smoother than the stock shifter. Tried a Schnell SS kit, but it popped out of gear at one point and I didn't have tools to fix it in a truck stop. Didn't want that to happen again, so back to an "OEM" version it was.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:53 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,406 Likes on 1,783 Posts

If u want to go crazy u can buy a wrecked gt3 and swap everything into your c2... like im doing now.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-the-dust.html
The following 3 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
Tom Loder (07-13-2021), Trimsarctic996 (07-14-2021), yaz996 (07-09-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 05:44 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

I'm a big fan of the factory hot rods, so I love the aerokit cars that resemble a GT3. I had a zenith blue about two years ago.
I think the aerokit cars look best with the GT3-style wheels.
+1 on Fister exhaust.
I put original GT3 coilovers on my car but the ride was terrible. I'd look for something else if I was you - maybe the Ohlins like mentioned above.
OEM euro GT3 seats if you can find them

Quick Reply: 996 aerokit / GT3-lite