Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Dealer have to sell at advertised price?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 07:06 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,778 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak;[url=tel:17300595
17300595[/url]]Exactly why people purchase cars from online companies like Carvana and Carmax.. they are a very popular choice these days because of the nickel and diming that brick and mortar dealerships try to pull over on customers.

Again, I say to all those that buy used cars from dealerships... make a "drive-out" offer and then leave the ball in their court. If they reject... walkout.
I just bought my wife’s 2019 BMW X3 M40i at CarMax. Very pleasant process. Only a $250 fee that covers everything. No haggle. They bought our used Audi Q5 from us. No problems there either. Took about 60 mins all-in.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:59 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 132 Posts

And these stories are why Tesla is such an amazing company. Anyone ever purchase a Tesla? changed the whole game.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:29 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,803 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Even employees are not exempt from the "games". I remember years ago the dealer I worked for fore many years had a policy that employees could purchase any new car for $100 over cost and any used car for $200 over.One day a saw a 1976 Bronco Red/White 302 Three-on the tree cream puff sitting there while I was on a road test, I asked the salesman ,who was a friend of mine and had worked the deal, how much we traded it in for, he told me and I said I wanted it. He came to me later and told me the Sales Manager had raised the trade-in price $1k, so i went to the Sales Manager and told him I wanted the Bronco at the original trade-in price plus the $200, his words were that the customer had beaten them up so bad on the new car price that they had to low-ball him on the Bronco and refused to let me have it for actual trade-in price +$200. So i stepped into the General Managers office and told him the situation, he told me to go to the bank and get the money, he would go get the keys and have the paperwork ready by the time I got back....lol..The Sales Manager didn't speak to me for quite a while after that...
Old 03-16-2021, 09:51 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
And these stories are why Tesla is such an amazing company. Anyone ever purchase a Tesla? changed the whole game.
Well, not planning on buying an EV anytime soon, I still wish Elon Musk and the Tesla team all the best.

I'm sure Musk's move to Texas was a major kick in the California groin about like when people don't drink the dealership Kool-Aid and buy online.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:27 PM
tedg04
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 26 Posts

At risk of sounding like a dealer apologist... There are *some legitimate costs for documentation and maintenance of those docs. But if it costs the dealership more than $50 they really need to evaluate their processes.

I'm a fan of the Gulia, and of walking away from slimy dealers. The one time I persevered through with a sub par dealer I still ended up with my worst car purchase, and I've had 20+ cars despite my (relatively) young age.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:58 PM
wsrgklt
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

LOL. Someone else bought the car before I could get back out to the suburbs to buy it. I'm sorry I missed out on the exact spec I was looking for, but glad to not deal with them anymore. Now I have to decide if I wait for another Misano Blue to turn up locally or if I go for a red one, as they seem to be more available.

Perhaps I'll wait...in the meantime I get to enjoy the manual transmission in my E90. It's bound to be the last stick shift daily driver I'll ever have.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:02 PM
wsrgklt
Racer

Regarding the online dealers: I went through a Vroom check out right up until the payment. It couldn't have been easier. Great price and not shadiness. I may consider this yet, but it's still hard for me to buy a used car site unseen.

There are some decent dealers out there. I pre-ordered my MINI before they were released in the US and that was an awesome experience. They were in demand, so the dealer didn't discount, but they also didn't take on any BS fees. I got to spec out the build-sheet exactly how I wanted and just wait for it to arrive.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:30 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wsrgklt
LOL. Someone else bought the car before I could get back out to the suburbs to buy it. I'm sorry I missed out on the exact spec I was looking for, but glad to not deal with them anymore. Now I have to decide if I wait for another Misano Blue to turn up locally or if I go for a red one, as they seem to be more available.

Perhaps I'll wait...in the meantime I get to enjoy the manual transmission in my E90. It's bound to be the last stick shift daily driver I'll ever have.
Is this the dealer in question?

Old 03-16-2021, 11:34 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Right up the road.. in your color...
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

and another one..

and again...

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 03-16-2021 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:02 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 739 Likes on 463 Posts

Used car dealers doing shady stuff? Never heard of that one.

I don't buy cars from used car dealers, I don't suffer their bull ****. I once told a new car salesperson to never **** with a customer and then bought the same car from some other salesperson at the same dealer (who did not **** around with me) the next day.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:45 PM
wsrgklt
Racer

All right, @b3freak is now my personal shopper!

That’s the dealer - Zeigler Alfa in Schaumburg, IL.

I’m looking for a very specific spec (2019 Misano Blue, perf package, sport interior, leather package, AWD), but I’m willing to wait a bit for one to turn up. Also, my wife has told me no more out of state car purchasing trips, so I need to find one local or have it shipped form a seller I trust.

Quick Reply: Dealer have to sell at advertised price?