Sponsored by:

slight missfire . on start up.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 02:26 PM
georgeous
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default slight missfire . on start up.

I have a 996 , I herited a k& n cold air filter on the vehicle. I'm experiencing a slight hesitation on cold start up.bit it clears after a minute or 30 secs any ideas guys its I have just given it a tune up new plugs and coils .it seems to run better since I solved the air leak at the mass airflow throtle body . but still not lnstant acceleration.is this normal .it has 54 k onit. .

Last edited by georgeous; 10-27-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:49 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by georgeous
I have a 996 , I herited a k& n cold air filter on the vehicle. I'm experiencing a slight hesitation on cold start up.bit it clears after a minute or 30 secs any ideas guys its I have just given it a tune up new plugs and coils .it seems to run better since I solved the air leak at the mass airflow throtle body . but still not lnstant acceleration.is this normal .it has 54 k onit. .
Latency in throttle is definitely not normal with Porsches. They're known for instantaneous acceleration.

Forget so-called "cold air intakes" on these cars. Find yourself a used stock airbox. If you want more performance, then buy yourself a 997.1 airbox.

You need to get yourself a Durametric so that you can run more diagnostics on the car. This makes me wonder if you're not experiencing issues with fuel pressure/delivery.

The following users liked this post:
georgeous (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 03:07 PM
georgeous
Instructor

Originally Posted by b3freak
Latency in throttle is definitely not normal with Porsches. They're known for instantaneous acceleration.

Forget so-called "cold air intakes" on these cars. Find yourself a used stock airbox. If you want more performance, then buy yourself a 997.1 airbox.

You need to get yourself a Durametric so that you can run more diagnostics on the car. This makes me wonder if you're not experiencing issues with fuel pressure/delivery.
it was running quite rich . but since fixing air leak mpg has improved .vastly. now showing 22 mpg on highway.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:11 PM
georgeous
Instructor

it was running quite rich . but since fixing air leak mpg has improved .vastly. now showing 22 mpg on highway.
what is Durametric .?
Old 10-27-2020, 03:18 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,013 Posts

http://www.durametric.com/
Old 10-27-2020, 08:35 PM
georgeous
Instructor

Default automatic choke .

does my 996 have automatic choke . could it be sticking . and will an air mass cleaner do the trick. to help lubricate.

Last edited by georgeous; 10-27-2020 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:41 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,525 Likes on 1,858 Posts

does my 996 have automatic choke . could it be sticking . and will an air mass cleaner do the trick. to help lubricate.
it has an idle air control valve. Its mounted on the throttle body. There is a tiny hole that allows air to bypass the butterfly valve in the tb and helps control idle. It may have to be removed from the tb to clean the passage. Not sure if u can clean and lube the sensor itself. Maf cleaner is not a lubricant.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:42 PM
georgeous
Instructor

bought some mass air flow cleaner tooke the air filter off and sprayed inside will know if it was a succes tomorrow morning . these porsche air filters are bloody sensitive. fuel and air mixture has to be spot on . such a highly tuned racing engine. not ur run of the mill Honda civic. lol 😆

Last edited by georgeous; 10-29-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:28 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,525 Likes on 1,858 Posts

Thats not really gonna do anything. U need the remove the maf and clean it, but what u should do is buy an obd11 reader do u can monitor the maf voltage and see if its in the correct range.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:26 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Thats not really gonna do anything. U need the remove the maf and clean it, but what u should do is buy an obd11 reader do u can monitor the maf voltage and see if its in the correct range.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...lly-works.html
This and the car may run a little rough for about 20 minutes as described by Porschetechs (Skip) Thread on the subject (good read). https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...lly-works.html

Last edited by 808Bill; 10-30-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: slight missfire . on start up.