Sponsored by:

Removing back shelf on a cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 09:05 AM
bigshrimphead
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing back shelf on a cabriolet

Hello, I just bought a 99 cabriolet and found out the rear shelf needs to come out and be repaired from underneath, the plastic is broken around one of the roll bar cover holes and the roll bar covers only lay there and I cannot put the top down and driver otherwise they will blow off. I found out the hard way and one was ran over. I found this question and quote from a year ago and want to know if this is specifically the question and the correct answer? And what is "service mode" on the top and how do I manage that?

Answer: My 996 C2 Cabriolet's rearshelf is looking a bit worn as it has the 2 location openings for the hard top. It's covered in material on what looks like a plastic base which stretches across the width of the car, over the years where the hardtop pins have been pushed into these openings its looking a bit tatty.
Has anyone recovered this or had it replaced.?
Old 10-21-2020, 01:29 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by bigshrimphead
Hello, I just bought a 99 cabriolet and found out the rear shelf needs to come out and be repaired from underneath, the plastic is broken around one of the roll bar cover holes and the roll bar covers only lay there and I cannot put the top down and driver otherwise they will blow off. I found out the hard way and one was ran over. I found this question and quote from a year ago and want to know if this is specifically the question and the correct answer? And what is "service mode" on the top and how do I manage that?

Answer: My 996 C2 Cabriolet's rearshelf is looking a bit worn as it has the 2 location openings for the hard top. It's covered in material on what looks like a plastic base which stretches across the width of the car, over the years where the hardtop pins have been pushed into these openings its looking a bit tatty.
Has anyone recovered this or had it replaced.?
Im following this thread because mine rattle when driving, which is annoying to me. I also have a 99 cab
The following users liked this post:
Fp4762489? (05-27-2022)
Old 10-21-2020, 02:21 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

If you're asking how to remove that piece, it's not difficult.
Remove the carpeted panel behind the rear seats. You'll see a few screws holding the rollbar cover on - remove them. It won't come off yet as there are screws on the other side too.
Put the top in service position - in other words, raise the top about half way.
From the side of the car near the rear bumper, unhook the wire cables on both sides of the car. Just pull downward a little until the ball at the end can be unseated.
Lift up the top from the rear of the car. Remove the plastic screws/plugs and pull down the carpet. You'll see a few more screws holding the rollbar cover on. Just remove the screws and the whole piece lifts off.

It's easier to do than to describe.

Last edited by wyovino; 10-21-2020 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:16 PM
bigshrimphead
3rd Gear

Thank you!
Old 10-21-2020, 06:34 PM
JBari
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Can that piece be sprayed or redyed?
Old 10-21-2020, 06:40 PM
bigshrimphead
3rd Gear

It's not the fabric that's the problem, it's the plastic edge on the rear edge of one of the roll bar covers that is broken in two places about an inch apart. I looked into buying a new one but no luck. It's only available in black. I wouldn't think (I'm not sure) that you can spray black fabric dark blue. I just want to repair the broken edge from underneath and possibly glue the roll bar covers in place.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:31 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Found this link: it might help https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...placement.html
Old 05-27-2022, 03:36 PM
Fp4762489?
1st Gear

I have the same problem trying to replace the panel, Did you find how to do it?

Quick Reply: Removing back shelf on a cabriolet