996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Should I consider an intake on my 4S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 09:29 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Should I consider an intake on my 4S?

My toy car before my 911 was my e36. Bought it when I was 24 and it when through many OEM+ improvements. Always classy.

When I bought my low mileage C4S, I swore I would keep it stock because 911s are for purists.

Well, I ended up swapping all exterior bulbs (except headlights) to LED. Still OEM looking but improved safety and visibility. Now I catch myself wanting to improve the sound system as my car does not have the Bose system.

This AM, I stumbled across articles on intake systems and they quoted 20-30hp gains with dyno charts to back up claims.

Do many of you swap your intake? Are there truly gains to be had?

My car does have an exhaust modification from prior to my ownership. It does not have PSE but has been modified to sound like PSE is open - either Gundo or Fister style - I can’t remember.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:06 AM
Nick_L
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Nick_L:
Optionman1 (07-16-2020), Ratchet1025 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 10:20 AM
kwright997
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Don't know if it still rings true but back when I was a tech, I saw a bunch of cars come through that had drive ability issues caused by aftermarket intakes because of how the air velocity hit the MAF, especially the K&N solution. This is why I will be selling the K&N that came with my car and returning the intake back to stock..

With that said... are you interesting in buying my K&N...?
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 11:13 AM
bill_996
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

My .02... I have a 2001 C2 with 135,000 Km (84K miles) that I have modded to include an ipd competition plenum and GT3 throttle body, along with a full performance exhaust. I initially added a K&N intake but have since taken it off in favour of the OEM airbox with a BMC filter and the silicone pipe from ipd (like the fabspeed silicone pipe and cap for the airbox). I never had the car on the dyno but it didn't feel any faster with the K&N. Louder under WOT, absolutely, but not as smooth at idle or climbing through the revs. The car is much happier with the OEM airbox and still sounds great IMHO. I think there really is no benefit to having the K&N filter open to the engine heat , regardless of what the literature says. I've already sold mine on kijiji
Ratchet1025 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 12:19 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 792 Likes on 507 Posts

Waste of money and can cause problems with the MAF. Go with a 997 intake box if you want to try something different.
The following 2 users liked this post by wildbilly32:
kwright997 (07-16-2020), Ratchet1025 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 07:50 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

My K&N lasted one month before I sold it off. Snake oil.
Ratchet1025 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 09:55 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 131 Posts

I have the EvoMS intake which came with my car when I bought it. The sound it makes is incredible. Did it gain HP? I dont know although EvoMS claims that many cup cars use their intake. The design is different from the K&N system.

https://www.evoms.com/996_Carrera_Ai...ntkvf996na.htm

EvoMS Claims:
Engineered utilizing state of the art CAD CAM 3D modeling, CNC machining, computer controlled Superflow air flow testing, rotational molding, injection molding and countless man hours, these systems represent the apex of air induction technologies. All of our systems install in the factory location and utilize the OEM “ram air” fresh air ducts for lower air intake temperatures and added power. Additionally, our systems also incorporate a custom cotton air filter and a 6” injection molded Venturi that acts as a vacuum for cold-air. All these components work together to create the most powerful Porsche air intake systems on the market today.

Our intake is being utilized by almost every Porsche 997 participating in the Grand AM Cup GS series due to its consistent and reliable power gains. These race teams require real results and rely on the benefits of our intake system for their race cars

Features:

HP Gain: 10-12
TQ Gain: 10-12
  • State-of-the-art CAD CAM 3D modeling.
  • CNC machining.
  • Computer controlled Superflow air flow testing.
  • Installs in the factory location.
  • Utilizes the OEM “ram air” fresh air ducts.
  • Utilizes a custom cotton air filter.
  • Utilizes a 6” injection molded Venturi that acts as a vacuum for cold-air.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:57 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 277 Posts

911 being purist’s cars is definitely not true. They get modded just like any other car. My car came with a K&N setup already installed. It sounds nice, but I think I’d rather have a stock airbox and an exhaust system instead. The K&N is nice and loud at WOT, and I feel like it would compete with the sound of an exhaust system.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:05 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by barbancourt
911 being purist’s cars is definitely not true. They get modded just like any other car. My car came with a K&N setup already installed. It sounds nice, but I think I’d rather have a stock airbox and an exhaust system instead. The K&N is nice and loud at WOT, and I feel like it would compete with the sound of an exhaust system.
The difference though is 911's that aren't modded are the ones that tend to stand the test of time. How many modded out 911's do you see on the bargain lot because the owner spent his money on mods vs. maintenance. I know there are exceptions, but seems to me the ones that stick around and hold their value are the meticulously maintained stock examples vs. the modded ones that tend to also swap owners more often.
Nick_L (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 11:38 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by ggrace
My toy car before my 911 was my e36. Bought it when I was 24 and it when through many OEM+ improvements. Always classy.

When I bought my low mileage C4S, I swore I would keep it stock because 911s are for purists.

Well, I ended up swapping all exterior bulbs (except headlights) to LED. Still OEM looking but improved safety and visibility. Now I catch myself wanting to improve the sound system as my car does not have the Bose system.

This AM, I stumbled across articles on intake systems and they quoted 20-30hp gains with dyno charts to back up claims.

Do many of you swap your intake? Are there truly gains to be had?

My car does have an exhaust modification from prior to my ownership. It does not have PSE but has been modified to sound like PSE is open - either Gundo or Fister style - I can’t remember.
No gains, nope. If you want engine gains, you’ve have to replace just about everything on the engine - and inside the engine - as everything on this engine has been designed without any choke points, including the intake. If you want more power, buy a turbo, or rebuild the engine with an FSI Stage 1 or Stage 2 concept, addressing the known weak points in this engine for oiling, bearings, cooling, bores, etc.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:27 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks, everyone!

I’ll just leave it alone as I’m happy with it the way it is.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:58 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by e90steve
The difference though is 911's that aren't modded are the ones that tend to stand the test of time. How many modded out 911's do you see on the bargain lot because the owner spent his money on mods vs. maintenance. I know there are exceptions, but seems to me the ones that stick around and hold their value are the meticulously maintained stock examples vs. the modded ones that tend to also swap owners more often.
Not sure there is any factual basis for this statement. Seems like conjecture.

Quick Reply: Should I consider an intake on my 4S?