996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

3.8L Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 12:14 AM
Jengah
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

I went out for my second break-in drive today. After about 20 mins (the car temp was at 180) and some spirited downhill twisties with some good engine breaking I threw a CEL. When I got home I used my iCarSoft to see it was P0491 and P0492 "Secondary Air System bank 1 & bank 2"

I beleive it's relatively normal to throw some codes when breaking in, but it's tough not to be a bit paranoid. Should I clear these and see if they come up again, or start checking out culprits like vacuum lines, secondary air injection valve, or the air pump?

Thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
boko10 (11-30-2022)
Old 02-15-2021, 12:22 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 1,804 Posts

I would just double check the electrical connections to the change over valves. The sai pump should only kick on at start up, so i doubt its that.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:26 AM
Jengah
Racer

Originally Posted by JSETarga
So you just rotated the fitting on ims feed or you did something to the sway bar? Sorry if it is obvious, just trying to understand the “fix”
I unscrewed the line from the fitting, removed the fitting, then reinstalled the fitting with red locktite. Then I reinstalled the line at an angle that yielded more clearance.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:00 PM
moosetaco
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

I recently got those same two codes after putting my car back together. Simple fix for me, I forgot to plug the electrical connector into the SAI pump, doh. Surprisingly, the car didn't throw a CEL until about 10 miles into my second drive. First drive I put about 35 miles in and no CEL.

Plugged SAI back in, cleared codes and problem solved. Hope its an easy fix for you.
Old 02-16-2021, 02:54 PM
Jengah
Racer

Originally Posted by moosetaco
I recently got those same two codes after putting my car back together. Simple fix for me, I forgot to plug the electrical connector into the SAI pump, doh. Surprisingly, the car didn't throw a CEL until about 10 miles into my second drive. First drive I put about 35 miles in and no CEL.

Plugged SAI back in, cleared codes and problem solved. Hope its an easy fix for you.
Thanks Moosetaco - I'm hoping that's the issue. Sounds very similar to my issue. I did check yesterday and noticed that the pump was NOT turning on at startup, so I'm going to check the obvious first, plug, fuse, and relay. I'll report back.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:15 PM
tommelton
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 89 Posts

The code is set upon deceleration from a higher speed, after time has passed post startup. For instance, I too forgot to plug in the SAI pump, drove the car 30 miles, when coming off the interstate, the CEL was set at the first stoplight encountered. Plugged back in, no more CELs.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:13 PM
Jengah
Racer

Originally Posted by moosetaco

Great news, and kinda embarrassing... I had forgotten to plug in the pump after removing it last time to get into attaching some of the Ultimate AOS connecting wires that lived behind the coolant tank. Thanks for the tip.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jengah:
moburki (02-16-2021), moosetaco (02-16-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 05:55 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Uber996
Assuming it was bought on the basis that the engine was potentially a total write off and priced accordingly, I'd be thinking I'd bought a bargain. I think I'd still be inclined to pull the engine down entirely to check everythng thoroughly, but be hoping that all it really required was one piston and perhaps a new nickie for that cylinder, and fix up the head.
Why did it drop a valve seat? Is that another M96 character trait? Of all the M96 maladies I've read about since buying my car, dropped valve seats did not figure highly. And an inlet seat at that?
Anyway, could have been far worse, I reckon you've had a win!
2002's are known for undersized valve seats
Old 02-16-2021, 09:24 PM
moosetaco
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

OUTSTANDING! I too found it very embarrassing, especially now that Ive outed myself about it on Rennslist. But, I like you, was extremely relieved and happy to just plug it back in! Glad that was the culprit and happy to be of help.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:52 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 1,804 Posts

Meh, i didnt fully seat the change over valve for the gas tank vent valve and got a code during the uaos install .

Quick Reply: 3.8L Engine Rebuild