996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

3.8L Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 10:10 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 468 Likes on 329 Posts

Good progress so far. I’m looking forward to see how this one goes.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:36 PM
FlyingShawn
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, valve seat failure is what killed my '02 C4. According to Jake on my thread it seems to be one of the more common failures in 2002 M96s.
Old 06-15-2020, 05:43 AM
Uber996
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jengah
Uber - since you last asked I learned a bit more about dropped seats. Here's a link to an article from Len Hoffman wrote that speaks a bit about it. On a similar note, I was talking with my neighbor who owned his own shop for years and holds multiple SCCA AutoX records in Datsun 510s and he said it's usually from not cooling the car down adequately (especially after track runs) and can also be caused by bad injectors where the mix gets too lean.
Thanks for the update! Being the owner of a (late) 03 I guess I just add this one to the list of worries....
The great thing is, after frequenting this and other forums I am always pleasantly surprised every time the car starts up perfectly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Uber996:
jedm3 (02-16-2021), Tsterry (06-17-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 12:14 PM
Jengah
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingShawn
Yep, valve seat failure is what killed my '02 C4. According to Jake on my thread it seems to be one of the more common failures in 2002 M96s.
Hey Shawn - yeah, Len Hoffman just said he was seeing more and more of these. Maybe I should get out of the SEO business and start a machining shop. LOL
Old 06-15-2020, 01:34 PM
Joel987
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Interestingly, my 02 996 engine with ~108,000 miles was rebuilt by the PO because of a valve seat failure. I am not sure which cylinder had the failed valve seat. The motor went the full rebuild route with nickies on all 6 cylinders.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:15 PM
Jengah
Racer

Originally Posted by Joel987
Interestingly, my 02 996 engine with ~108,000 miles was rebuilt by the PO because of a valve seat failure. I am not sure which cylinder had the failed valve seat. The motor went the full rebuild route with nickies on all 6 cylinders.
I'll let one of the pros here chime in, but it seems this can be caused by a faulty/worn out injector. As I understand it if it's not performing correctly it can either lean out the engine or cause hot spots. I looked all through the invoices I was provided and while there was a complete rebuild, there is no mention of the injectors being replaced. I know Jake recommends replacing them with new ones whenever replacing the engine.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:32 PM
Joel987
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Same deal with documentation that came with my car.... I have the receipt for the engine rebuild. It mentions new chains and tensioners, bearings, pistons, rod bolts, and "rebuilt block," and re-cut valves and seats. There is no mention of coils, plugs, motor mounts, injectors, or even whether the alternator belt was replaced.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:17 PM
Tsterry
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely agree!
Old 06-17-2020, 01:08 AM
Jengah
Racer

UPDATE: I connected with Len Hoffman about my heads and Charles Navarro of LN Engineering about the cylinder cases and IMS shaft/bearing. How refreshing to get quick responses from both guys who I can only imagine are incredibly busy.

Len thinks the damaged head can be repaired. Now I just have to get an estimate on the cost of the repair. Does anyone have any opinions on paying to have the existing head repaired as opposed to buying an already refreshed head or getting a used head and sending it in to get refreshed? Is there any sort of advantage to keeping the original head becuase it mates up better to the cyliner or ????

Charles was very encouraging as well regarding being able to save the bad case half with re-sleaving. I'm going to send in both to get inspected and possibly honed. He recommended going with new pistons as well as they have been updated to newer designs. I'll also send in my IMS shaft to be updated to the IMS solution.

Next up is the final disassembly of the crankshaft and cradle.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:14 AM
Jengah
Racer

So it's been years since I tore an engine apart and dealt with camshafts (might have even been high school autoshop 30 years ago...). So can I get some opinions on what I have here? The two exhaust cams look like new, but both intake cams seem to have odd wear points on each lobe. Do I need new ones, can they be machined? Do I just get them polished?

Old 06-17-2020, 09:07 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Jengah
UPDATE: I connected with Len Hoffman about my heads and Charles Navarro of LN Engineering about the cylinder cases and IMS shaft/bearing. How refreshing to get quick responses from both guys who I can only imagine are incredibly busy.

Len thinks the damaged head can be repaired. Now I just have to get an estimate on the cost of the repair. Does anyone have any opinions on paying to have the existing head repaired as opposed to buying an already refreshed head or getting a used head and sending it in to get refreshed? Is there any sort of advantage to keeping the original head becuase it mates up better to the cyliner or ????

Charles was very encouraging as well regarding being able to save the bad case half with re-sleaving. I'm going to send in both to get inspected and possibly honed. He recommended going with new pistons as well as they have been updated to newer designs. I'll also send in my IMS shaft to be updated to the IMS solution.
I would suggest sending your heads to Len for repair. There is no advantage in going with other heads, unless yours can't be repaired. Mating up better to the block is not really a factor. As long as the heads and block are from the same version engine, it shouldn't matter. But why introduce more chances of mix-up by going with an "already refreshed" set of heads? In the end, the costs will be about the same.

LN is probably the best choice for block repair (Nickies). There's a thread around here somewhere... Where a guy did a recent engine build using both Hamheads and LN engineering to build a solid foundation for his engine. Look around for something like: the 133,333 mile engine rebuild thread. From what I understand, there's some good information there - as long as you are able to wade through all the off topic business.

Oh - do not attempt to build this engine without the Jake Raby video series on the M9X Engine Assembly.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:40 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Uber996
Thanks for the update! Being the owner of a (late) 03 I guess I just add this one to the list of worries....
The great thing is, after frequenting this and other forums I am always pleasantly surprised every time the car starts up perfectly.
Don't worry but do be aware. Should your motor ever stall while driving, do not try and restart it! A mistake seen over and over here, causing more ($$) damage.

The following users liked this post:
FlyingShawn (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 12:56 AM
Jengah
Racer

Here are a few more shots of the wear items. I believe these had about 44K miles on them. Does this look normal?

Old 06-18-2020, 01:00 AM
Jengah
Racer

As I was packing up the heads this evening I discovered a strange wear mark on the inside of the valve cover just opposite the #5 cylinder valves. Can anyone explain how this could have happened? (In case you are just tuning in, I dropped a valve seat on #5).

Old 06-19-2020, 02:49 PM
H2Ocooledesteem
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you know if that valve cover is original to the engine? Bc they are machined as a set to the heads from the factory. If they were swapped out you can have that clearance issue happen.

Quick Reply: 3.8L Engine Rebuild