996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2 C4 IMS bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 02:52 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,148 Likes on 1,013 Posts

I asked because i thought there was a pre-qualification of some type before installing the Solution and i assumed that would involve inspecting the existing bearing.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:05 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Optionman1
I asked because i thought there was a pre-qualification of some type before installing the Solution and i assumed that would involve inspecting the existing bearing.
All true if done by an approved shop. Clearly, this shop was not one of them.
The following users liked this post:
Optionman1 (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 03:23 PM
Mpfaff
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Point blank.A mechanic/technician that is well versed in 996 ims bearings would know that large center nut means bearing cannot be changed unless engine is removed from said vehicle and disassembled.Matvrix I am sorry you are going through this unfortunate situation.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:28 PM
tommelton
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 86 Posts

That is correct - IF you want the replacement IMS (bearing or solution) to be warranted. You must follow the pre-qual.

If all you want to do is get the car back on the road - skip the pre-qual. (in general - not in the case of this owner/engine...)

-Tom
Old 06-09-2020, 05:10 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

I know OP is probably mulling over all this discussion, but has anyone noticed that he has not come back?
Old 06-09-2020, 05:13 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
I know OP is probably mulling over all this discussion, but has anyone noticed that he has not come back?
He's popped up at least once. I think he's still on board.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:22 PM
matvrix
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry chaps, well and truly relied on this garage to carry the torch. Especially, when they were ref here on this forum. After all, the lead is an ex-Porche mechanic and all that. Quite, going to bite my tongue and have them disassemble it without invoicing me an arm and a leg. Right, really invaluable, you are!
Old 06-09-2020, 10:43 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
OK Still trying to work this out. If he put the puller on the stud and the tube catcher thing through the hole that is smaller than the bearing it would be resting on the bearing, then how did he get the bearing to move? Doesn’t pulling on the stud bring the bearing into the tube catcher thing? If the bearing is bigger than the puller it won’t fit.

If I understand how a bearing puller works. Which I think I do since I have used a bunch of them in the past.

If he used a TON of force he could have pulled I guess the inner race in and destroyed the bearing. But the pic looks like the bearing is intact.

Does this make sense to anyone else or am I way off?

Or maybe he tried to pull it with a slide hammer and not the tool.
Dg
Normally when removing an ims you slot the cylindrical tool through the hole in the case which it's designed to fit, the outer edge of the cylindrical puller sits on the outer edge of the shaft with the inner diameter of the puller big enough to accept the bearing as the pulling part of the tool in the centre attaches to the ims stud and pulls back , all good but.....

Problem with larger bearing is the end of the ims shaft is bigger and the bearing is bigger , the bearing is so big it won't even fit through the ims flange hole in the crankcase , so when you put the tool on its resting on the bearing not the outer lip of the ims , then the stud puller in the middle pulls but the bearing has no where to go as it's trapped by the cylindrical part of the tool but even if you could pull it , you would have to pull it through the crankcase which you can't coz it's too big. This garage has started the procedure but put load on the ims stud to start the pulling process, normally not a problem as once the bearing is out , it's not re used but now they realised they can't get it out but have compromised the bearing by using the puller which could have damaged it inside as it's not designed to take a sideways load of such force, shame as the larger ims has the lowest failure and with the seal removed is usually ok to leave alone , I think the op thought he must have had a gen 2 small single row bearing but must have got the gen 3 large single row bearing without realising !
Old 06-10-2020, 10:42 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,122 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Noz1974
Dg
Normally when removing an ims you slot the cylindrical tool through the hole in the case which it's designed to fit, the outer edge of the cylindrical puller sits on the outer edge of the shaft with the inner diameter of the puller big enough to accept the bearing as the pulling part of the tool in the centre attaches to the ims stud and pulls back , all good but.....

Problem with larger bearing is the end of the ims shaft is bigger and the bearing is bigger , the bearing is so big it won't even fit through the ims flange hole in the crankcase , so when you put the tool on its resting on the bearing not the outer lip of the ims , then the stud puller in the middle pulls but the bearing has no where to go as it's trapped by the cylindrical part of the tool but even if you could pull it , you would have to pull it through the crankcase which you can't coz it's too big. This garage has started the procedure but put load on the ims stud to start the pulling process, normally not a problem as once the bearing is out , it's not re used but now they realised they can't get it out but have compromised the bearing by using the puller which could have damaged it inside as it's not designed to take a sideways load of such force, shame as the larger ims has the lowest failure and with the seal removed is usually ok to leave alone , I think the op thought he must have had a gen 2 small single row bearing but must have got the gen 3 large single row bearing without realising !
I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for what the shop did. There is no way to confuse the 06-08 bearing with the earlier one. I don't care what credentials they have from Porsche. They lack situational awareness.

I hate to be the one that has to pop this bubble, but there are lots of shops out there that aren't qualified to work on a lawnmower. Some days we are all completely exhausted with calls from people lacking the wherewithal to work on any car. That is the reason we have pre-qualification and registration requirements. You can't trust that a shop is going to do right by you blindly. Shops are beating themselves over the head for these jobs and consumers are shopping by price, not value. We've seen jobs where they don't even change the oil and filter when changing out the IMS bearing, just for make up oil to top off what is lost when the flange is pulled. The worse we've seen in the last month was a shop that still installed an IMS Solution after they scoped the bores and found two scored cylinders rather than doing what is right and telling the customer they can't do the install.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:49 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Where we don't require a Preferred or Certified Installer to do the install, the pre-qualification and registration are required. This page goes over what should be done prior and during an install for those unfamiliar with the process:

https://lnengineering.com/products/i...ification.html
Old 06-11-2020, 06:18 PM
matvrix
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charles, CaliAuto said they will be reaching out to you.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:23 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Did Cali-Auto's Porsche trained mechanic (with 40 yrs experience) do the work on your car?
Old 06-12-2020, 12:03 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Did Cali-Auto's Porsche trained mechanic (with 40 yrs experience) do the work on your car?
Cali Auto did not do the work on the car originally.

Quick Reply: 2 C4 IMS bearing