Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I finally did it.. I dropped my Porsche engine this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 01:23 PM
twitchett
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 56 Posts
Default I finally did it.. I dropped my Porsche engine this weekend!

No amount of preparation could have prepared me for this. I thought since my engine was so clean that I would be in the shop for 5-8 hours... nope. Truthfully, every bolt came out really nicely and we had little to no problems with hoses or wires. In the end, it still took me and two others about 11 hours to drain all of the fluids, drop the engine, and get it in the crate. That being said, two of us (both Porsche owners) have essentially no experience wrenching on cars. I work in tax.. I am not used to a garage environment, but I was determined to do this. We ran into a few snags...
  1. The damn infamous 3rd AC compressor bolt. We tried so many variations of extensions, as per forum threads, until we got this one out. Wobble extension saved the day.
  2. The clutch slave cylinder. It as an extremely tight area with little visibility, but took maybe half as much time as the AC bolt.
  3. Dropping the engine. There were a few things we forgot to disconnect (we meant to go back to them) that we left because we did not know how to deal with them. Took some time and research to get those done right before the drop. The drop itself was difficult because the engine kept snagging on the threads for the transmission mounts and engine mounts. Ended up taking out one engine mounts and using an assortment of jacks and wood to maneuver the transmission mount. We had already raised the car to much to come back down and it was nearly pulling the cart we used to catch the engine over. I was sweating bullets the whole time we lifted it.
  4. Putting the engine in a crate was scary, too. I did not trust the old straps and hoist we had, but it worked. Almost lost a finger adjusting the crate when the hoist dropped 2 inches.
  5. I guess we did not properly seal off the gas and it pissed everywhere when it was angled on the flat bed. My drive way was not happy..
All in all it was a great experience. Perhaps the most difficult thing I have attempted in years and the stress was immense. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about their car. The car is more simple that I had thought, but the process of removing the engine should not be rushed. I can only imagine how putting it back in will be. Thankfully, we broke zero bolts and had no use for torches. That would have gotten a little more outside of my comfort zone.

Bentley book cautioned not to press the clutch after uninstalling the clutch slave cylinder. Well, the tow truck driver pushed that right in as he jumped in and as I told him not to.. of course. Anyone know what kind of issue this has created?

Lastly, I just wanted to give a shout out to FSI. They have been amazing to deal with and so quick to help. I think Jud has some clones down there in GA, because he is so quick to get back to me and I know he must be insanely busy. Absolute machines when it comes to work ethic.

Feel free to ask me anything about the drop! I learned so much and I would be glad to share!

Engine out... finally.

My poor roller. Has muscle car stance now lol.
The following users liked this post:
Gingerman (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 01:39 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,465 Likes on 1,824 Posts

By the pics it looks like u know what u r doing

pushing in the clutch can blow the seals out of the slave cyl. U may just want to replace it.
Old 04-20-2020, 01:42 PM
SleepyCyclist
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 117 Posts

congratulations - that's a big accomplishment!

whats the plan for the rebuild?
Old 04-20-2020, 01:49 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 792 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by twitchett
Lastly, I just wanted to give a shout out to FSI. They have been amazing to deal with and so quick to help. I think Jud has some clones down there in GA, because he is so quick to get back to me and I know he must be insanely busy. Absolute machines when it comes to work ethic.
Not a bad day's work for a tax dude!

Jud is good help! He will respond any time even during off hours, weekends and while on vacation. I had to council him about taking time off for his own sanity...I don't think he listened!

The whole F6I outfit is like that.

I hope your experience is like mine...flawless.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:11 PM
twitchett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by De Jeeper

pushing in the clutch can blow the seals out of the slave cyl. U may just want to replace it.
The shop is beautiful, but it is certainly not mine. I was lucky enough to have access to this place for the drop.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:12 PM
twitchett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ManM
congratulations - that's a big accomplishment!

whats the plan for the rebuild?
Thank you so much! I am sending it to Flat 6 Innovations for a stage 1 street performer build. My car had some mild symptoms of failure, so I figured I would take a year off driving it to gain the benefits of the rebuild.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:14 PM
twitchett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Not a bad day's work for a tax dude!

Jud is good help! He will respond any time even during off hours, weekends and while on vacation. I had to council him about taking time off for his own sanity...I don't think he listened!

The whole F6I outfit is like that.

I hope your experience is like mine...flawless.
I am not surprised to hear about Jud responding on his vacation. Him and Jake have provided great and timely communication.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:15 PM
twitchett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by De Jeeper

Also, I meant to confirm if I only need to replace the clutch slave cylinder. Nothing else would have been damaged in this process? (Damn the flatbed guy!!)
Old 04-20-2020, 03:20 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 938 Likes on 566 Posts

Hell yeah I'm surprised this didn't charge you up enough to want to take the thing apart yourself, too!

(Damn the flatbed guy!!)
When I bought a roller we asked the P.O. to kindly post a large note on the dashboard that said "DO NOT START!" because it was a kinda-sorta-runner, but more roller than runner. Bet you know what the tow truck driver did.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:22 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 757 Posts

Also, I meant to confirm if I only need to replace the clutch slave cylinder. Nothing else would have been damaged in this process? (Damn the flatbed guy!!)
Replace it. When he pressed on the clutch pedal it blew the cylinder and seals out of the slave cylinder. It will not go back together, so replace it.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:28 PM
jjbravo
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

From what I read, FSI normally wants the powertrain intact and didn’t want engine only builds so they could verify and troubleshoot start-up and break-in.
Have the policies changed?
Old 04-20-2020, 03:35 PM
twitchett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
Hell yeah I'm surprised this didn't charge you up enough to want to take the thing apart yourself, too!

When I bought a roller we asked the P.O. to kindly post a large note on the dashboard that said "DO NOT START!" because it was a kinda-sorta-runner, but more roller than runner. Bet you know what the tow truck driver did.
The entire process was more stress than I could handle for the next while. I should be fine by the time it is ready to go back in lol.

Regarding your roller, what the hell is wrong with people? You would think people would be more careful since it isn't theirs, but the sad truth is that it is the exact opposite. Just makes you realize how ignorant the average person is.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:37 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 792 Likes on 507 Posts

Thank you so much! I am sending it to Flat 6 Innovations for a stage 1 street performer build. My car had some mild symptoms of failure, so I figured I would take a year off driving it to gain the benefits of the rebuild.
YOU will enjoy that version! I can't quit driving mine.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:37 PM
twitchett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jjbravo
From what I read, FSI normally wants the powertrain intact and didn’t want engine only builds so they could verify and troubleshoot start-up and break-in.
Have the policies changed?
They now offer a service where they will take your engine on its own. I know they have an engine dyno now, so perhaps that is how they break in and test it.
The following users liked this post:
jjbravo (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 03:38 PM
twitchett
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
YOU will enjoy that version! I can't quit driving mine.
Is that the option you went with?

Quick Reply: I finally did it.. I dropped my Porsche engine this weekend!