Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 10:23 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Nice progress! Keep it going.

If you have a basement with a furnace room, set up shop in there. Just get a foldable table, a chair and a light. Put the shorblock together in there and then bring all up to the garage to finish. Get a dolly made to move water heaters up and down stairs and that will be good enough, with two people, to bring the shortblock upstairs. That's what I did, it was the best decision I've made when it comes to putting and engine back together in comfort. To keep the smell down, I've used vegetable oil to lube things up while the engine was in the house.
What viscosity vegetable oil?
Old 02-18-2020, 11:17 AM
yaz996
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 340 Posts

Nice progress! Keep it going.

If you have a basement with a furnace room, set up shop in there. Just get a foldable table, a chair and a light. Put the shorblock together in there and then bring all up to the garage to finish. Get a dolly made to move water heaters up and down stairs and that will be good enough, with two people, to bring the shortblock upstairs. That's what I did, it was the best decision I've made when it comes to putting and engine back together in comfort. To keep the smell down, I've used vegetable oil to lube things up while the engine was in the house.
My basement is finished and heated, but I actually think the pool table is the better option. I have a dining table conversion top for it and space around it for my engine stand. Would make for a nice work space.

Hadn't considered the smell. Already picked up some Driven HVL and assembly grease. I'll need to give it a whiff when I get home.

I was in your neck of the woods during my August road trip. Grabbed dinner in Kitchener at Moxie's with my old college goalie/roommate.

Last edited by yaz996; 02-18-2020 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:52 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
What viscosity vegetable oil?
Dollar Tree viscosity!

The crank carrier was already assembled with proper lube before I brought it into the basement and was sitting like that for 3 years so the that didn't smell much. The only thing I've used the vegetable oil was to slide the pistons into the bores. Once the longblock was back in the garage, I used engine oil to re lube the bores before the heads went on.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:00 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Dollar Tree viscosity!

The crank carrier was already assembled with proper lube before I brought it into the basement and was sitting like that for 3 years so the that didn't smell much. The only thing I've used the vegetable oil was to slide the pistons into the bores. Once the longblock was back in the garage, I used engine oil to re lube the bores before the heads went on.
That's an interesting point. I was watching the Raby video where he used a "special lube" for rings and pistons. I'm curious what he uses. I'll bet it's another closely guarded secret.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:12 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

That's an interesting point. I was watching the Raby video where he used a "special lube" for rings and pistons. I'm curious what he uses. I'll bet it's another closely guarded secret.

Hey, it might not be the right way....but it is my way! And she never complained that the house smelled like an oil spill.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:19 PM
yaz996
Rennlist Member

Anyway back to the teardown... Had a little trouble getting the front console off and unfortunately broke it. Jake warns about this piece being fragile in the assembly videos. I was able to find the part new (with the upgraded oil pressure relief valve) for about $340.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:49 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Damn! That sucks.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:54 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by yaz996
Anyway back to the teardown... Had a little trouble getting the front console off and unfortunately broke it. Jake warns about this piece being fragile in the assembly videos. I was able to find the part new (with the upgraded oil pressure relief valve) for about $340.

Yep.
as you reassemble using my method in the video, note that everything I focus on is done to avoid complications that will
lead to this breakage.

Also, guys....
Never compromise assembly procedures because of something like a smell. Vegetable oil has no properties that will carry load during initial engine start up.

If it smells, get over it- if you make a compromise you’ll pay for it. Suck it up, buttercup.. This is engine building, you have one chance to get it right, or you get to do it again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flat6 Innovations:
JMattKTM (04-26-2020), TrackRS911 (04-23-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 12:56 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Yep.
as you reassemble using my method in the video, note that everything I focus on is done to avoid complications that will
lead to this breakage.

Also, guys....
Never compromise assembly procedures because of something like a smell. Vegetable oil has no properties that will carry load during initial engine start up.

If it smells, get over it- if you make a compromise you’ll pay for it. Suck it up, buttercup.. This is engine building, you have one chance to get it right, or you get to do it again.
So Jake, can you share a clue as to what's in your piston/ ring lube? I don't care about the smell.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:44 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

So Jake, can you share a clue as to what's in your piston/ ring lube? I don't care about the smell.

Here's a clue: LN Enginnering.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:09 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Here's a clue: LN Enginnering.
So if I said; "BR40", would I be getting warm?
Old 02-18-2020, 02:13 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

So if I said; "BR40", would I be getting warm?
Yes, but check the website alot has changed since I broke in a rebuilt engine.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:47 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Yes, but check the website alot has changed since I broke in a rebuilt engine.
I visit there frequently. I have not found anything specific to engine assembly oil. They list a high viscosity lube and an assembly grease. The special lube that I saw in the video did not look to be of high viscosity, and it certainly was not grease.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:33 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Also, guys....

Only used the it to slide the pistons into the bores. For the rest of the top end I used some 85W140 that I had left from a Jeep differential swap. It's extreme pressure gear oil so should be better than the Dollar Tree one
Old 02-18-2020, 03:40 PM
yaz996
Rennlist Member

I was planning to use BR40 for the pistons and rings.
The following users liked this post:
Scott at Team Harco (02-18-2020)

Quick Reply: Yaz's Rebuild