Sponsored by:

Jake Raby's Focus on: M9X Engine Assembly Video Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 10:11 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,135 Likes on 594 Posts
Default Jake Raby's Focus on: M9X Engine Assembly Video Series

Jake, Tony Callas, and I just finished up the one and only Hands On M96 Engine Rebuild class this week. We had a great group of guys, comprised of both enthusiasts and technicians from as far as Hawaii. For the first time, we replaced powerpoint presentations with the DVD and we made a few observations along the way:

1. The chapters are organized on the DVDs in such a way that the instruction provided was much clearer and detailed than any written presentation or manual could ever provide. Keep in mind, we've been doing this 10 years and it's never run so smoothly as it did this time.
2. We were able to spend more time with the hands on workshops rather than on Powerpoint presentations.
3. For the first time ever, even in a class with 50/50 mix professionals and enthusiasts, everyone was able to complete each of the the hands on portions successfully with time left over.
4. This class finished three hours earlier than any class we have ever conducted.

Sad to say, but we probably won't be doing any more of these M96 Hands On Engine Rebuild classes now that Jake has released his DVDs. We are very confident that even a novice will be able to rebuild their M96 engine successfully after watching the DVD. The 20 chapters and 15 hours of content is broken up so that you can use it in place of a written workshop manual, allowing you to pause at any point and carry out that step before moving on. If you are unsure about a step, you can rewind and watch again.

We will begin shipping DVDs later this week once I return to Chicago with them, so in the interim, we're going to extend the pre-order pricing. We are also offering discounts on Jake's torque spec books. These cover more than just the engine torque specifications and are a great resource for anyone who works on their cars, enthusiast and professional alike.

https://lnengineering.com/education/...-assembly.html

https://lnengineering.com/997-torque...utomobile.html

https://lnengineering.com/996-torque...utomobile.html

LN is also expanding our tool rental program and will start offering rental of specialty tools like the Faultless Wrist Pin Tool Kit to assist the growing DIY movement. Jake's also helped us design engine rebuild kits, simplifying the rebuild process. These are the same kits we use for every RND Engine build.

it's a new decade and we're starting off making it easier and more affordable to keep our Boxster, Cayman, and 911s on the road. Who says we can't have fun doing it, make them bigger, and have even more fun driving them when everything is said and done.
The following 6 users liked this post by Charles Navarro:
dporto (01-20-2020), fourblades (01-21-2020), islaTurbine (01-20-2020), moburki (01-20-2020), wkf94025 (01-20-2020), yaz996 (01-20-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-19-2020, 10:15 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 786 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro

Jake, Tony Callas, and I just finished up the one and only Hands On M96 Engine Rebuild class this week. We had a great group of guys, comprised of both enthusiasts and technicians from as far as Hawaii. For the first time, we replaced powerpoint presentations with the DVD and we made a few observations along the way:

1. The chapters are organized on the DVDs in such a way that the instruction provided was much clearer and detailed than any written presentation or manual could ever provide. Keep in mind, we've been doing this 10 years and it's never run so smoothly as it did this time.
2. We were able to spend more time with the hands on workshops rather than on Powerpoint presentations.
3. For the first time ever, even in a class with 50/50 mix professionals and enthusiasts, everyone was able to complete each of the the hands on portions successfully with time left over.
4. This class finished three hours earlier than any class we have ever conducted.

Sad to say, but we probably won't be doing any more of these M96 Hands On Engine Rebuild classes now that Jake has released his DVDs. We are very confident that even a novice will be able to rebuild their M96 engine successfully after watching the DVD. The 20 chapters and 15 hours of content is broken up so that you can use it in place of a written workshop manual, allowing you to pause at any point and carry out that step before moving on. If you are unsure about a step, you can rewind and watch again.

We will begin shipping DVDs later this week once I return to Chicago with them, so in the interim, we're going to extend the pre-order pricing. We are also offering discounts on Jake's torque spec books. These cover more than just the engine torque specifications and are a great resource for anyone who works on their cars, enthusiast and professional alike.

LN is also expanding our tool rental program and will start offering rental of specialty tools like the Faultless Wrist Pin Tool Kit to assist the growing DIY movement. Jake's also helped us design engine rebuild kits, simplifying the rebuild process. These are the same kits we use for every RND Engine build.

it's a new decade and we're starting off making it easier and more affordable to keep our Boxster, Cayman, and 911s on the road. Who says we can't have fun doing it, make them bigger, and have even more fun driving them when everything is said and done.
That's a pretty shady looking crew. Especially those two dudes in the front! Ocean 15?
Old 01-19-2020, 10:44 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks again to Charles, Tony and Jake. I went to the 2019 class. I will be buying the videos soon too.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:56 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
Thanks again to Charles, Tony and Jake. I went to the 2019 class. I will be buying the videos soon too.
We missed your commentary in this class!
Old 01-20-2020, 11:25 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Jake,
What's required to get on the list? I need to get this boat anchor fixed!
Old 01-20-2020, 11:30 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Jake,
What's required to get on the list? I need to get this boat anchor fixed!
No commitment. Set up a time to chat with me, via a submission ticket on the site. If all does well, I will get your info and put you in line. Once we get the backlog worked down a bit, we will contact you and say you are next at bat.. Then you'll receive a specific proposal for the project, and will have 7 days to review/ ask questions, and then execute the proposal. From then, you'll have 10 days to pay the first 1/3 payment, to officially get started.
This happens the same way, every time.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:34 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Easy enough, thanks!
Old 01-20-2020, 11:38 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
We missed your commentary in this class!
LOL. I still know very little about Porsche engines, but I have a very different background than most people. I have bad news for you though. When I bring my 996 to you, I’m literally going to bring it to you. We have family in Atlanta and there is a fellow class member in the area I could catch up with too. We can fly back to DFW cheap and then fly back to Atlanta once the car is ready. We can use a family vehicle for the driving locally.

I’m thinking 2022 for drop off later in the year.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:03 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 786 Likes on 504 Posts

LOL. I still know very little about Porsche engines, but I have a very different background than most people. I have bad news for you though. When I bring my 996 to you, I’m literally going to bring it to you. We have family in Atlanta and there is a fellow class member in the area I could catch up with too. We can fly back to DFW cheap and then fly back to Atlanta once the car is ready. We can use a family vehicle for the driving locally.

Taxes...and break-in...
Old 01-20-2020, 12:11 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Taxes...and break-in...
Yup, after tax season and a couple of breaks ins, I'll be good to go too!
Old 01-20-2020, 12:21 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Yup, after tax season and a couple of breaks ins, I'll be good to go too!
I think he's talking about the state taxes he will have to pay if the car isn't shipped to GA. Shipped cars from out-of-state dont have to pay local taxes.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:38 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

That would be the "Exclusive Program", where we collect the vehicle, and do all work here. The cost of doing this is a lot more than the "Premier Program" where we work with your most local Certified Installer to do the work.I have invited, and trained all the Certified Installers personally, and I make them stay up to date with information, training, and etc. Of course, you can also pull the engine yourself, and become your own installer, with me aiding you.

As the cars have gotten older, my list of mandates for receiving a car/ engine for the exclusive service have become more stringent. Dporto's 996 made me change everything here, as the fuel system issues his car had (not the engine) were a direct result of prior repairs, and time in service. We lost our shirt on that scenario, and I immediately made changes to the program to eliminate the chances of a future instance occurring.

By 2022 I plan to accept very few cars into the Exclusive Program, and it may be phased out completely as the Certified Installers have really been a God send when it comes to keeping these projects simpler, less dramatic, and etc. With your skills, there's no reason why you can't be your own installer.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:07 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
I think he's talking about the state taxes he will have to pay if the car isn't shipped to GA. Shipped cars from out-of-state dont have to pay local taxes.
Not everyone gets my sense of humor...
Old 01-20-2020, 01:11 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro

The guy in the blue shirt looks like someone from Hawaii (Filipino) and I bet his name tag was hard to pronounce correctly.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:16 PM
TNT63Falcon
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have posted this in a few other groups. I thought I would let everyone here know, that if you have any thoughts of digging into your engine, the video set is awesome. I attended Jake’s hands on class about two years ago, and thought I took really good notes. Took lots of pictures and thought I had everything committed to memory or paper. I refer to the notes and handouts often.

I soon came to realize, it is a lot of information presented, and although I knew the major steps, there were many smaller details that I had forgotten. I actually considered going to the class again, but when I heard about the series, I decided to check into it.

The video series is a “step-by-step”, paint by numbers type of approach to guide you through assembling an M9X engine. He also provides a ton of advice, background, and techniques, you can’t find anywhere else.

EVERYTHING Jake does is first class. When I was at his class, no corners were cut, everything was professionally prepared, nothing was rushed, and he wanted to make sure it was a great experience. Knowing that, made it an easy decision to get the video series. After watching it, I can attest to fact that no corners were cut, it is professionally done, and will guide you through every step needed in assembling your engine.

I just wanted everyone to know, that I am not a professional mechanic or anything like that. Just a guy that likes to tinker with broken 986 and 996 cars that I buy and get back on the road. If it wasn’t for the many resources on the internet, FB, and now this video series, I would be in a world of hurt.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Jake Raby's Focus on: M9X Engine Assembly Video Series