996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Jake Raby's Focus on: M9X Engine Assembly Video Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 03:10 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

I was in Jake's 1st class & I took more notes than I did in 4 years of High School & USMC Advanced Auto Mechanics class.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:26 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
I was in Jake's 1st class & I took more notes than I did in 4 years of High School & USMC Advanced Auto Mechanics class.
Yep, there you are.. Near side of the room, far right seat. This was the first slide, of the first class presentation. All these years later, we don't use the presentation format any longer! Powerpoint paralysis is no longer an issue!

Old 01-20-2020, 07:50 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

Sounds like I will be doing my own install which is fine. I will be bring my M96 to Atlanta one trip in the back of my truck. Next year I’m installing a 4 post lift in the garage because I’m too old to crawl around on the floor.
The following users liked this post:
latonnelier (01-21-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 08:23 PM
Andy Ericksen
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro

Jake, Tony Callas, and I just finished up the one and only Hands On M96 Engine Rebuild class this week. We had a great group of guys, comprised of both enthusiasts and technicians from as far as Hawaii. For the first time, we replaced powerpoint presentations with the DVD and we made a few observations along the way:

1. The chapters are organized on the DVDs in such a way that the instruction provided was much clearer and detailed than any written presentation or manual could ever provide. Keep in mind, we've been doing this 10 years and it's never run so smoothly as it did this time.
2. We were able to spend more time with the hands on workshops rather than on Powerpoint presentations.
3. For the first time ever, even in a class with 50/50 mix professionals and enthusiasts, everyone was able to complete each of the the hands on portions successfully with time left over.
4. This class finished three hours earlier than any class we have ever conducted.

Sad to say, but we probably won't be doing any more of these M96 Hands On Engine Rebuild classes now that Jake has released his DVDs. We are very confident that even a novice will be able to rebuild their M96 engine successfully after watching the DVD. The 20 chapters and 15 hours of content is broken up so that you can use it in place of a written workshop manual, allowing you to pause at any point and carry out that step before moving on. If you are unsure about a step, you can rewind and watch again.

We will begin shipping DVDs later this week once I return to Chicago with them, so in the interim, we're going to extend the pre-order pricing. We are also offering discounts on Jake's torque spec books. These cover more than just the engine torque specifications and are a great resource for anyone who works on their cars, enthusiast and professional alike.

https://lnengineering.com/education/...-assembly.html

https://lnengineering.com/997-torque...utomobile.html

https://lnengineering.com/996-torque...utomobile.html

LN is also expanding our tool rental program and will start offering rental of specialty tools like the Faultless Wrist Pin Tool Kit to assist the growing DIY movement. Jake's also helped us design engine rebuild kits, simplifying the rebuild process. These are the same kits we use for every RND Engine build.

it's a new decade and we're starting off making it easier and more affordable to keep our Boxster, Cayman, and 911s on the road. Who says we can't have fun doing it, make them bigger, and have even more fun driving them when everything is said and done.
It was an amazing class and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. What a great team! The videos are great also, they make it very easy to understand what Jake's doing with close up camera angles and the ability to pause and rewind.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:34 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Ericksen
It was an amazing class and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. What a great team! The videos are great also, they make it very easy to understand what Jake's doing with close up camera angles and the ability to pause and rewind.
Great having you here, Andy! You KILLED the bank 2 piston install! You even killed it in front of the crowd when I put your skills on the spot!
(Yes, if you excel here I WILL challenge you to challenge yourself!)

Ava says hello!

Old 01-21-2020, 12:44 AM
Andy Ericksen
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Great having you here, Andy! You KILLED the bank 2 piston install! You even killed it in front of the crowd when I put your skills on the spot!
(Yes, if you excel here I WILL challenge you to challenge yourself!)

Ava says hello!
I do some of my best work under pressure

In all seriousness, I attribute it to you. I watched the videos (pause, rewind). I watched you do it in person, I watched Christopher, Edwin, Tim, and Michael do it in person, and absorbed all that knowledge. If I hadn't watched the videos and attended the class there is no way I could have been that successful.

Knock, knock... She's a great kid.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:30 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,045 Posts

For those that have been waiting out for a big discount on this series, LN is offering a 50% off Black Friday Special on the Focus On: M9X Engine Assembly DVD series!

Here's the link...

https://lnengineering.com/education/...embly-dvd.html

Old 11-26-2021, 02:52 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
For those that have been waiting out for a big discount on this series, LN is offering a 50% off Black Friday Special on the Focus On: M9X Engine Assembly DVD series!

Here's the link...

https://lnengineering.com/education/...embly-dvd.html
Oh B3, guess how fast I jumped on that! Whoop there it is.
ZuffenZeus (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 03:02 PM
luxdriver
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Ordered! Jake is sharing decades of engine building knowledge and at this very reasonable sale price it's a no brainer.
ZuffenZeus (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 05:21 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 143 Posts

Oredered was just waiting for some kind of discount but 50% !!!
ZuffenZeus (11-26-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 07:13 PM
P9C
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Ordered as well. So happy as this was a perfect timing as I'm about to start replacing those variocam wear pads - well, after I get my new lift.

The only shocker was shipping costs to Europe - that 5 DVD set + both books = 290 USD for shipping only.

Another thing is that I'll receive that next week ... when I'm in a military refresher training that takes the whole week. Well, I guess I can't wait to get back from the exercise to get my hands on this excellent training series.

Last edited by P9C; 11-28-2021 at 05:03 AM.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:32 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 794 Likes on 509 Posts

I had the opportunity to view this series. It is well worth the full price and an extraordinary great deal at 50% off. While I will never tear my engine down it was still invaluable to me in understanding how it all works inside.

My Thanks to Jake and all the crew for sharing this information.
dporto (11-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Jake Raby's Focus on: M9X Engine Assembly Video Series