Sponsored by:

The "Ultimate AOS Solution"

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 12:56 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,803 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Originally Posted by tommelton
Mine is a 2003. Pretty sure there is no air in the system, will try idling again here at home where I can closer monitor it, vs the pharmacy drive thru line.

I know the engine lid fan runs - have activated it with the Durametric - but will also check the fan switch on the intake.

-Tom
IF you are still having "False Warnings" after this, give me a holler and I'll walk you through some steps.

I think I should write an essay on how the slow flash system works with a trouble shooting tree and post it here and to the website.

BTW your full Track Drain Kit is waiting on the new oil fill tube, they are back-ordered at the moment, I'll ship it out as soon as it comes in..
Old 01-05-2022, 01:59 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,549 Likes on 559 Posts

Going through my notes, it appears my AOS was last replaced in 2011, 50k miles ago...

I supposed I need to bite the bullet here. My only question is whether I need to spring for this drain or not? What are most folks doing?
Old 01-05-2022, 02:09 PM
Corso
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts

What kind of difficulty are we talking about to swap factory AOS with UAOS. No flame please.
The following users liked this post:
Fishah (01-05-2022)
Old 01-05-2022, 02:46 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fishah
Going through my notes, it appears my AOS was last replaced in 2011, 50k miles ago...

I supposed I need to bite the bullet here. My only question is whether I need to spring for this drain or not? What are most folks doing?
Yea, you should replace it, shops who are in the know of the frequency of AOS failure and the dangers that presents, recommend a 3-4 replacement interval. That's just one of the benefits of the UAOS because it saves in labor costs if you plan on keeping the car long term.

People who have low mileage and no plans to Track the car, don't need the Auto Drain kit. The Accumulator will receive little to no accumulation and can be drained via drain plug at oil service intervals. People who Track the car or have high mileage can benefit greatly from the Auto Drain. It drains automatically for high mileage cars that have higher than normal blow-by, and those who Track their car can benefit from running oil level "over-full" to help stabilized oil pressure drops. www.ultimateaos.com

Originally Posted by Corso
What kind of difficulty are we talking about to swap factory AOS with UAOS. No flame please.
If the engine is out for some reason the typical install charge is 1.5 hours . The typical install labor for in situ is 4 hours. Kris Murphy is not a Tech/mechanic but can do a UAOS install in about 3 hours. Here is a helpfull thread with a detailed DIY and lot of Tips and Tricks.. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...highlight=UAOS
Old 01-05-2022, 02:55 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Can I add the drain after the fact?
Old 01-05-2022, 02:58 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Can I add the drain after the fact?
Yes you can !!......no problem.....
Old 01-05-2022, 02:58 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Perfect thank you! I ordered from LN just now. I'm excited.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:05 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Perfect thank you! I ordered from LN just now. I'm excited.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:36 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Yea, you should replace it, shops who are in the know of the frequency of AOS failure and the dangers that presents, recommend a 3-4 replacement interval. That's just one of the benefits of the UAOS because it saves in labor costs if you plan on keeping the car long term.

People who have low mileage and no plans to Track the car, don't need the Auto Drain kit. The Accumulator will receive little to no accumulation and can be drained via drain plug at oil service intervals. People who Track the car or have high mileage can benefit greatly from the Auto Drain. It drains automatically for high mileage cars that have higher than normal blow-by, and those who Track their car can benefit from running oil level "over-full" to help stabilized oil pressure drops. www.ultimateaos.com

If the engine is out for some reason the typical install charge is 1.5 hours . The typical install labor for in situ is 4 hours. Kris Murphy is not a Tech/mechanic but can do a UAOS install in about 3 hours. Here is a helpfull thread with a detailed DIY and lot of Tips and Tricks.. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...highlight=UAOS

Skip, my neighbor is about to buy a 996, looks like I will get a chance to beat my last time.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:50 AM
Jnelso
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

IF you are still having "False Warnings" after this, give me a holler and I'll walk you through some steps.

I think I should write an essay on how the slow flash system works with a trouble shooting tree and post it here and to the website.

BTW your full Track Drain Kit is waiting on the new oil fill tube, they are back-ordered at the moment, I'll ship it out as soon as it comes in..
Skip,

Might be helpful if you could post a trouble shooting guide. I still have my low coolant light coming on after replacing the UAOS harness and sensor twice back in August, I have since just disconnected the UAOS harness and reconnected the OEM harness to the sensor because having the coolant light on was annoying. I have little to no drain back into the reservoir so I just check it periodically. Car is an early 1999.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:05 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Skip, my neighbor is about to buy a 996, looks like I will get a chance to beat my last time.
Wonderfull !! I look forward to your install post !!!

Originally Posted by Jnelso
Skip,

Might be helpful if you could post a trouble shooting guide. I still have my low coolant light coming on after replacing the UAOS harness and sensor twice back in August, I have since just disconnected the UAOS harness and reconnected the OEM harness to the sensor because having the coolant light on was annoying. I have little to no drain back into the reservoir so I just check it periodically. Car is an early 1999.
Jnelso I think you are right. I need to do a comprehensive explanation of how the slow blink works and a detailed troubleshooting tree. It will be quite a long read...lol

I'll PM you personally about your issue.
damage98MO (12-17-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 11:44 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I found it interesting that the McLaren MP4-12C uses a similar diaphragm.

Porschetech3 (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 12:30 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I found it interesting that the McLaren MP4-12C uses a similar diaphragm.

How about that ?? Very interesting !! Yes it looks to be made exactly the same....lol
Old 03-05-2023, 01:45 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

FWIW,, the AOS was the final nail in the coffin for my 03 engine, Massive cloud of smoke, loud weird noise , we replaced the factory AOS (The factory diaphragm was blown)
Lots of oil in the intake, still smoking slightly, Bore scope found coolant in cylinder #1, when Flat six tore it down #1 had a crack that looked like future D-chunk and a ton of oil.
Very little bore wear. engine had 116K on it and according to the car fax, it had been fully serviced for the first 90K at a Virginia Porsche dealer. then moved out west to Washington,
Found the last 4 oil services were at like 7500 miles, iirc it had a AOS change at 80K..

During break in of the new engine, in wet cold (> 40 degree) nasty winter weather, I accumulated about 1/2 pint of water in the UAOS I installed when I put the motor back in. In 1500 Miles.
I ran the car between 2400 and 3200 for the entire breakin with limited time up to 4K rpm and always ran the car for at least 30 minutes twice a day , doing a 1 hour drive at least every 4 days.
Per Jake I was trying to get a full heat cycle every drive and at least 6 hours between runs.( His recommendation was heat cycles, the more I could get the better during break-in, just dont try and drive it 1500 straight miles.. )

Interestingly enough my E46 330xi had a aos and it had all the same issues, needed the diaphragm component changed about every 40K.

I am doing my second oil change as I type, 1550 miles on the clock, I did the first after 150..

Last edited by pdxmotorhead; 03-05-2023 at 01:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pdxmotorhead:
Porschetech3 (03-06-2023), wdb (03-05-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 08:12 PM
Corso
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts

Just ordered mine.
Porschetech3 (03-06-2023)

Quick Reply: The "Ultimate AOS Solution"