Sponsored by:

The "Ultimate AOS Solution"

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 11:57 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,803 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Originally Posted by az968gpw
What will the bracket mount to? What the rough size of the accumulator?
The bracket will mount to the intake manifold just above the alternator, where the takeout for the Power Brake Booster is located. The Accumulator is 3.5x4.5x1.75" ,roughly the size of a finished 2x4.. The Infra-red sensor is set in the Accumulator to trigger the warning indicator at 177ml of accumulation.

Originally Posted by dan_189
Just keeps getting better!
Thanks man. I've put a lot of work into it, but I can see the finish line now !!
Old 01-31-2020, 03:02 AM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 248 Posts

How many hours do you estimate for average amateur wrench to pull stock AOS and install UAOS?
Old 01-31-2020, 03:38 AM
soren.911
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember, there is less space on left side of the throttle body on a tiptronic.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:42 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by wkf94025
How many hours do you estimate for average amateur wrench to pull stock AOS and install UAOS?
Took me at least 8.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:28 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

To be clear, you are solely sealing the port notated by the red arrow? I've looked inside the yellow channel and see nothing else to seal.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:16 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wkf94025
I have replaced many 996.1 6MT AOS on a lift in an hour or two. Not much more for the Ultimate AOS. I have never tried it on the ground on jack stands, probably a good bit more difficult. And 996.2 is much more difficult due to the mounting bolts are on top, where as the 996.1 is on the side and can be reached from underneath the car.

Originally Posted by soren.911
Remember, there is less space on left side of the throttle body on a tiptronic.
Yes, it is being designed on a Tip, so should fit all models.

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Took me at least 8.
Yes, you have a 996.2... more difficult than a 996.1..

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
To be clear, you are solely sealing the port notated by the red arrow? I've looked inside the yellow channel and see nothing else to seal.
The atmosphere port is in the channel, but is obstructed from view. It is also not totally sealed at the red seam. This is why I am including a new reworked AOS in the Ultimate AOS plug and play kit.

Are you trying to do a DIY? You never did answer my questions about your track issues you are having and failing AOS's..

Old 01-31-2020, 06:08 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 256 Posts

Doc, any reason the AOS Solution won't work for track use?

Also, for DIYers, the AOS will have to be removed to plug the port?
Old 01-31-2020, 06:33 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JTT
Doc, any reason the AOS Solution won't work for track use?

Also, for DIYers, the AOS will have to be removed to plug the port?
There is no reason the Ultimate AOS won't work well on the track. There are many cars running the Factory AOS on the track with no problems, and the Ultimate AOS is better by having a safeguard in the Accumulator and sensor to warn the driver of any accumulation.

A lot of the cars that have issues on the track is due to a failing AOS or an AOS that has a delayed reaction like in the case of wkf94025 where his AOS tests fine with a manometer reading of -5.5 " h2o but has a 20 second delay where the crankcase vacuum is very high. This would cause a problem on the track.

I have tested the Ultimate AOS on some roads that can duplicate track conditions. Where I live (at the tail end of the Appalachian Mountains) I have some of the twistiest roads that can be found, and that along with the I-22/ I-65 interchange has some long sweeping turns, I can duplicate track conditions to my tire/driver limits. Although a better driver can probably do even better tests. lol

If the DIY'ers can reach the Atmosphere port, it can be sealed with a thick no-drip slicone. But if not comfortable doing this, the reworked AOS will be available and included in the Plug-and Play kit..
Old 01-31-2020, 08:03 PM
pauldvazquez
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

If the DIY'ers can reach the Atmosphere port, it can be sealed with a thick no-drip slicone. But if not comfortable doing this, the reworked AOS will be available and included in the Plug-and Play kit..
If I can reach it? Is is possible to reach?

I have Quick Jacks. On the highest support setting there is plenty of room under the car, but I don’t think they are much different than jack stands for working under. I can see the AOS bracket, but don’t have a great feel for where the atmosphere port is. If I did know better, I might be able to smear some silicone onto the port opening.

Would it be possible to describe or illustrate where the atmosphere port is located from the “laying on you back point of view”?
Old 01-31-2020, 08:17 PM
SpIcEz
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should make it more clear.

1. Hole on the disc. Outer portion.
2. Hole connected to disc, but inside the channel.

Old 01-31-2020, 08:17 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pauldvazquez
If I can reach it? Is is possible to reach?

I have Quick Jacks. On the highest support setting there is plenty of room under the car, but I don’t think they are much different than jack stands for working under. I can see the AOS bracket, but don’t have a great feel for where the atmosphere port is. If I did know better, I might be able to smear some silicone onto the port opening.

Would it be possible to describe or illustrate where the atmosphere port is located from the “laying on you back point of view”?
" a picture is worth a thousand words", just look at the first picture in post #1. You should be able to correlate that picture to your view from under the car. If not comfortable in doing that, just wait for the Plug-and Play kit.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:57 AM
hardtailer
Burning Brakes

Received 340 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Moved the drain port to the left front corner for easier access on the Accumulator. I'm waiting for the mounting brackets to get printed, then fit a little more fit and finish will be done.

This is an excellent effort, thanks for sharing and making a PnP version available.
With regards to giving the ultimate AOS the ultimate factory look, I like to suggest to replace the two upper screws and corresponding bosses on the reservoir with 2 wedge-shaped bosses or dove tails and corresponding holes with lips in the bracket or a similar arrangement and use a single screw to fixate it.
In car production (lean production) the focus is on reducing the amount of time to put the car together so the amount of screws/bolts is kept to the absolute minimum amount required. As such you often see only one threaded fastener to fixate parts (like the 996 coolant reservoir) and 3 screws to mount a part is a give-away to aftermarket vs OE(M) (with the exception of Porsche 993 and earlier perhaps...)
The rectangular shape of the reservoir and the 'ultimate AOS' script is also a give-away to aftermarket products imho. OE shapes are normally something of combined 3D shapes (cilinders, spheres, cubes with part cutaways of these) or a complex shape that keeps a constant distance from its surroundings to get the biggest reservoir in the given space and have (long) part numbers, brand logo and material composition codes instead of product names on them.
Perhaps shaping it like the vacuum reservoir is an easy way to use a factory shape that is a stock part in any 996 engine compartment.
But maybe I overestimate the eagerness of the smog inspectors and all of the above is overkill and I'll get of my soapbox now 😊
Old 02-01-2020, 10:55 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 545 Posts

Yup, get off the and don't overthink it!
What you see is the backside and won't be seen...
Old 02-01-2020, 01:43 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hardtailer
This is an excellent effort, thanks for sharing and making a PnP version available.
With regards to giving the ultimate AOS the ultimate factory look, I like to suggest to replace the two upper screws and corresponding bosses on the reservoir with 2 wedge-shaped bosses or dove tails and corresponding holes with lips in the bracket or a similar arrangement and use a single screw to fixate it.
In car production (lean production) the focus is on reducing the amount of time to put the car together so the amount of screws/bolts is kept to the absolute minimum amount required. As such you often see only one threaded fastener to fixate parts (like the 996 coolant reservoir) and 3 screws to mount a part is a give-away to aftermarket vs OE(M) (with the exception of Porsche 993 and earlier perhaps...)
The rectangular shape of the reservoir and the 'ultimate AOS' script is also a give-away to aftermarket products imho. OE shapes are normally something of combined 3D shapes (cilinders, spheres, cubes with part cutaways of these) or a complex shape that keeps a constant distance from its surroundings to get the biggest reservoir in the given space and have (long) part numbers, brand logo and material composition codes instead of product names on them.
Perhaps shaping it like the vacuum reservoir is an easy way to use a factory shape that is a stock part in any 996 engine compartment.
But maybe I overestimate the eagerness of the smog inspectors and all of the above is overkill and I'll get of my soapbox now 😊
Thanks for your interest in the Ultimate AOS. Your suggestions have been noted. I have already considered all the things that you have suggested (yes I have overthought this design)..lol

I had first considered the Bracket to Accumulator mounting to be a more complex clip-on design needing no screws. but decided to keep the attachment simple and more robust.

The size and shape of the Accumulator is on purpose to fit in the area/space available to simplify the hose arrangement and keep a clean tiddy arrangement.

As for the product name on the front of the Accumlator, I couldn't help it...lol.. I felt it needed to be there, but is very small script and is only legible close up and will be hidden from direct view by the air cleaner snorkel.

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Yup, get off the and don't overthink it!
What you see is the backside and won't be seen...
Yes, that is the backside of the Accumulator, I have already overthought it to save everyone the trouble..
Old 02-01-2020, 02:16 PM
pauldvazquez
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
" a picture is worth a thousand words", just look at the first picture in post #1. You should be able to correlate that picture to your view from under the car. If not comfortable in doing that, just wait for the Plug-and Play kit.
The recent picture additions helped immensely. Thank you for posting them. I will get under the car today and see what the possibility of my reaching the atmosphere port really is. My thought is that a dab of silicone caulking on the end of my finger, in the right spot (right on/in the atmosphere port) should do the trick. Is my thinking correct?

Concerning removing the existing AOS assembly, to install the UAOS assembly, I am afraid it would end up to be problematic. I would guess the removal of the old AOS and replacement with the re-worked factory UAOS, could cause problems from cracked hoses and broken plastic hose fittings due to much fumbling and wresting in the tight spaces and limited visibility. Would that be a valid concern?

Thanks again for your time.

Last edited by pauldvazquez; 02-01-2020 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Mid-typed

Quick Reply: The "Ultimate AOS Solution"