996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Feal coilovers or ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 05:14 PM
Joey996
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I like my set. I have about 3,000 miles on them. The ride is rough in my opinion on the swift 12/6k springs. I just got a set of 10/4k to try and be closer to OEM. I have adjusted them from soft to stiff and the ride is just a little too rough. I would still buy them again though. I am installing new springs next week and will report back.

Joey
The following 2 users liked this post by Joey996:
997ajk (07-28-2022), damage98MO (07-14-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 06:07 PM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by barbancourt
I am much more than 1” lower than stock. Factory alignment specs, 15mm spacers at all four corners. Stiffness at 28/30 clicks front 27/30 clicks rear. No rubbing, not harsh, and handles very well. Only real unsettling is over something rough like train tracks, and even still it’s acceptable. These are Feal 441 base model with upgraded radial bearings, but not the Swift springs.
Looks good but too low for my use case. How far down did you drop it? (where in the adjustment range?)
Originally Posted by Joey996
I like my set. I have about 3,000 miles on them. The ride is rough in my opinion on the swift 12/6k springs. I just got a set of 10/4k to try and be closer to OEM. I have adjusted them from soft to stiff and the ride is just a little too rough. I would still buy them again though. I am installing new springs next week and will report back.

Joey
Please do. I'm curious to hear the feedback on the spring rate change
Old 07-15-2022, 06:21 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,278 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCA58
I am more than 1 inch drop on both cars with Feal set-up

I need a cab… you can send me either one of those… I’ll have to beat the ladies away with a stick.

Sorry for OT - I couldn’t help myself.
The following 3 users liked this post by zbomb:
imhighlander (11-26-2022), JohnCA58 (07-16-2022), Tr4ckD4ys (07-16-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 09:51 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey996

Joey
Very interested in hearing your take, please let us know. I'm so confused, I go back and forth between ohlins, kw, feal, silver...I live in NC so ohlins is a good choice, they are just up the road. But over 2x the price. For resale, kw or Bilstein or any porsche connected brand work well I think. But I'm not thinking of selling. But if I did. Oh boy. The only thing I know for sure is that my suspension needs refreshing, and I made a mistake in replacing the B4s on the rear because they'll be for sale soon.
Another thing that confuses me about coilovers, is what was mentioned above re dropping the ride height being a real requirement. Is that true? That if your coilovers are set to there max height, they don't work at their best? Anyone? I don't want to go really low, just want a more modern and compliant ride compared to the 22 great old Bilstein tech.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:37 PM
SealG996
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I don't believe mine are 1" lower than stock.
Mine are set to the highest setting.
Here’s my heights(measured center of hub at the fender) with 225/30R18 & 285/35R18:

Front

Rear
My Bilstein B8 Vogtland springs are lower than this. Added pillow ball rear camber and toe arms. I was satisfied where Canberra Australia's capital has roads of glass, speed humps of hell. Main intercity drive is 3.5 hours to Sydney on roads of glass but not in Sydney. As I am going 3.4 to 3.8 with Nickies - and the car off the road. I will be trialling 441+ Feals 7kg, 13kg. I will be interested in the ride outcome, the Feal top mount neg camber is nice as well. Not a daily - the convict heritage/attitude of Australians with keys, slamming their door into you, and coins locked out that possibility and not the car.

Last edited by SealG996; 07-15-2022 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-16-2022, 01:16 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,505 Likes on 2,019 Posts

Originally Posted by damage98MO
Very interested in hearing your take, please let us know. I'm so confused, I go back and forth between ohlins, kw, feal, silver...I live in NC so ohlins is a good choice, they are just up the road. But over 2x the price. For resale, kw or Bilstein or any porsche connected brand work well I think. But I'm not thinking of selling. But if I did. Oh boy. The only thing I know for sure is that my suspension needs refreshing, and I made a mistake in replacing the B4s on the rear because they'll be for sale soon.
Another thing that confuses me about coilovers, is what was mentioned above re dropping the ride height being a real requirement. Is that true? That if your coilovers are set to there max height, they don't work at their best? Anyone? I don't want to go really low, just want a more modern and compliant ride compared to the 22 great old Bilstein tech.
Yep, it's sensory overload. Remember this, if you are a long term owner, you will replace your suspension a few times. I've owned my 2002 996 for 20 years. I replaced my oem suspension in 2006 with a Bilstein PSS9 coilover system which was the rage like the ohlins r&t system today.

Funny thing is that 16 years later I still have it and it still works beautifully. Yes, I will replace it next year or the following year either with the bilstein club sport suspension or JRZs. But my car does double duty on the track and street.

But to your point, what do you want. Do you want to refresh the suspension for a better ride on the street? Do you want to lower the car for visual look? Do you want to track your car and improve track performance?

Alot of variables. Unless you are looking for a world class track suspension, my guess us that Feals will do the job.

If you want to track and street the car, bilstein pss10 or ohljn r&t will do the job.

If you want track performance and adjustability, the bilstein club sport, or JRZs make sense.

Don't get caught up jn the BS. You gotta answer the question on what's your purpose. My wag is that Feals will handle the majority of requirements.

Last edited by GC996; 07-16-2022 at 01:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
damage98MO (07-29-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 10:43 AM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 277 Posts

You are suffering from analysis paralysis, my friend. Don’t overthink it. Choose the coil over you want, and get them set up properly. You’ll be fine. I can only speak personally on Feals, because that’s what I have. They provide great performance and relatively good comfort for a sports car. Very compliant even at my somewhat low height. I’m sure that Ohlins and others also can provide the same or perhaps better in some cases.

Last edited by barbancourt; 07-16-2022 at 10:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by barbancourt:
damage98MO (07-29-2022), JohnCA58 (07-16-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 12:31 PM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Yep, it's sensory overload. Remember this, if you are a long term owner, you will replace your suspension a few times. I've owned my 2002 996 for 20 years. I replaced my oem suspension in 2006 with a Bilstein PSS9 coilover system which was the rage like the ohlins r&t system today.

Funny thing is that 16 years later I still have it and it still works beautifully. Yes, I will replace it next year or the following year either with the bilstein club sport suspension or JRZs. But my car does double duty on the track and street.

But to your point, what do you want. Do you want to refresh the suspension for a better ride on the street? Do you want to lower the car for visual look? Do you want to track your car and improve track performance?

Alot of variables. Unless you are looking for a world class track suspension, my guess us that Feals will do the job.

If you want to track and street the car, bilstein pss10 or ohljn r&t will do the job.

If you want track performance and adjustability, the bilstein club sport, or JRZs make sense.

Don't get caught up jn the BS. You gotta answer the question on what's your purpose. My wag is that Feals will handle the majority of requirements.
This is kind of my summation. I'm not going to be tracking the car. I want height and damping adjustability. The feals are rebuildable and if I don't like the spring rates they are interchangeable. For the price it seems they can't be beat.
Originally Posted by barbancourt
You are suffering from analysis paralysis, my friend. Don’t overthink it. Choose the coil over you want, and get them set up properly. You’ll be fine. I can only speak personally on Feals, because that’s what I have. They provide great performance and relatively good comfort for a sports car. Very compliant even at my somewhat low height. I’m sure that Ohlins and others also can provide the same or perhaps better in some cases.
Good feedback
Old 07-27-2022, 11:59 PM
Joey996
Instructor

I installed the swift 10 and 4 springs. The car rides so much better. It is smooth. Not as soft as OE but not stiff either. I am very happy with the change.

Joey
The following 3 users liked this post by Joey996:
ATX_Native (09-15-2023), damage98MO (07-29-2022), imhighlander (11-26-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 12:00 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 212 Posts

One reason I went the Feal system after researching for both cars, the Feal system is popular with the Subaru crowd among others also and rebuild able, investing half the normal cost allowed me to install the L&N IMS solution plain bearings kit in both cars with plans to keep the cars in the family for years to come.
The following 3 users liked this post by JohnCA58:
damage98MO (07-29-2022), EVOMMM (07-28-2022), SealG996 (07-29-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 10:37 AM
damo986
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m running feal 441+ with swift spring 10kg rear and 5kg front across the pond in the uk. I’m 4000 miles in and the ride is good but the front spring is just little too much on the bumpy back roads.

can any one confirm the front spring size as I’m going to drop down to 4kg.

thanks
Old 09-10-2022, 12:56 PM
Joey996
Instructor

[QUOTE=damo986;18352783]I’m running feal 441+ with swift spring 10kg rear and 5kg front across the pond in the uk. I’m 4000 miles in and the ride is good but the front spring is just little too much on the bumpy back roads.

thanks[/QUOTE

I did the same thing. I got them from Feal. It is the 65mm by 7 inch. I put the 10kg in the rear too.

Joey
The following 2 users liked this post by Joey996:
damage98MO (09-10-2022), damo986 (09-10-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 01:57 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't think spring rate is the main contributor to harshness. High speed damping is what you need to pay attention to. coming from motocross, Ohlins have been in that game a while. You will notice they have basically relieve valve for high speed hits. Thats why the are able to run high spring rates on the street and yet provide compliance
The following users liked this post:
damo986 (09-10-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 06:29 PM
damo986
7th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Joey996;18352957]
Originally Posted by damo986
I’m running feal 441+ with swift spring 10kg rear and 5kg front across the pond in the uk. I’m 4000 miles in and the ride is good but the front spring is just little too much on the bumpy back roads.

thanks[/QUOTE

I did the same thing. I got them from Feal. It is the 65mm by 7 inch. I put the 10kg in the rear too.

Joey
thanks joey. Springs ordered
Old 11-23-2022, 05:32 PM
googone20
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 76 Posts

I installed my rear Feal coilovers the other day. I haven't had time to swap the fronts out yet, but I may attack those tonight. Has anyone else had an issue with your rear sway links. My sway links thread into the shock housings, but they bottomed out into the shock body before the threads were fully seated. I figured it would be fine since it was seated firmly into the body, and they would never be able to loosen themselves up. I just thought this was very odd given my rear sway links are newer OE Lemforder units.

What is everyone running for ride height? I have looked on the GT3/GT2 side, and most guys list weird numbers and I have no idea where they are measuring from. I have always set my cars up measuring ground to fender lip right at the center cap location. I saw someone did that above, but that doesn't seem to be an aggressive GT3 ride height setting. I am looking for slightly lower than factory GT3 height with some nice aggressive camber. My car is used for enjoying on the way to Cars and Coffee, back road blasts with car buddies, and the occasional track day.

Last edited by googone20; 11-23-2022 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Feal coilovers or ...