It's upside down
Old 12-24-2019, 11:18 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
It's upside down
True. It is permitted to invert the unit. You just have to rotate the access panel. They also provide an extra sticker so it will read right-side-up. I think I'll leave it the way it is. Keep everyone guessing...
Old 12-24-2019, 12:37 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
It's upside down

Likely related to the empty case of bud light in the trash.
Scott - I thought you had better taste in beer than that.

​​​​​​​
Old 12-24-2019, 01:56 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc
Scott - I thought you had better taste in beer than that.
He only uses that to wash parts ​​​​​​​
Old 12-24-2019, 06:57 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Labatt Blue Light. I wouldn't let my dog drink Bud Light.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:36 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 135 Posts

I stand corrected, sir. Gotta get those bifocals checked.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:36 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,471 Likes on 710 Posts

Are you on propane or natural gas? Are you pulling permits for the install?

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
Labatt Blue Light. I wouldn't let my dog drink Bud Light.
I wouldn't let my neighbor's dog drink Bud Light and I really don't like my neighbor's dog. I didn't realize there was a substantial difference between Labbat and Bud though.

My passive aggressive WiFi:

Old 12-25-2019, 01:48 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
Are you on propane or natural gas? Are you pulling permits for the install?

I wouldn't let my neighbor's dog drink Bud Light and I really don't like my neighbor's dog. I didn't realize there was a substantial difference between Labbat and Bud though.
Actually there is a significant difference between Bud and Labatt. My daily working beers are Blue Light and Corona Light. We get better beer for other occasions. Hacker-Pschorr Weisse, for example.

Permits?

Propane. Converted the orifices and the adjustment spring in the regulator two days ago. Completed the fuel line and vent yesterday. Could have gone a foot or two closer to the wall - but this will work.

Installed a thermostat and a rain cap.

Still have to wire up the electrical for the fan (and igniter) and then have the propane tank delivered and hooked-up. Will have the guys look things over in case I missed something obvious. Will pressure test all lines with soapy water (expect no leaks - things are quite tight). Will get to use my manometer again; to set the manifold gas pressure correctly. My son will do most of the wiring for the 120. He's an apprentice electrician, so he'll do things much closer to code than I might. My wife's Christmas present to me will be a full tank of propane... In other words, the gift of heat. Should be operational in a few days.

Old 12-25-2019, 08:45 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,471 Likes on 710 Posts

Actually there is a significant difference between Bud and Labatt. My daily working beers are Blue Light and Corona Light. We get better beer for other occasions. Hacker-Pschorr Weisse, for example.
I can't say with 100% certanty that I've ever tried Labbat so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.
For everyday beer, I like Carlsberg Elephant, Stella Artois and Pilsner Urquell.

Will pressure test all lines with soapy water (expect no leaks - things are quite tight). Will get to use my manometer again; to set the manifold gas pressure correctly.
If you bought the propane specific model, the gas pressure probably won't need adjusting. If you don't want to do the soapy water thing, you can buy a test guage at Home Depot for around $10.00. It has a 3/4" F.I.P. thread and a Schrader valve to pressurize with. Back in the day, in a former life, building inspectors required the system to hold 15 PSI for 15 minutes to pass inspection.

Old 12-25-2019, 08:50 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 194 Posts

I can't say with 100% certanty that I've ever tried Labbat so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.
For everyday beer, I like Carlsberg Elephant, Stella Artois and Pilsner Urquell

#1: Guinness, #2: Belching Beaver, #3: Leffe or equivalent Belgian brew!
Old 12-26-2019, 09:49 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

I have the same heater in my garage, and it works well. I think it is a 75K BTU unit. I've used them in two different garages so far, and no complaints.

The only two things I don't love are:
  • Heat is directed up high, even if you adjust the louvers downward, so it doesn't heat as well at ground level (like where you are when under a car)
  • It has exposed combustion, so I avoid things like painting and sanding while it is running to avoid explosion risk
All told, this is an economical way to get heat into a garage, I think you'll enjoy it. If money were no object, I'd have done radiant heat, but I'd rather spend money on other things.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:50 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

For everyday beer, I like Carlsberg Elephant, Stella Artois and Pilsner Urquell.

If you bought the propane specific model, the gas pressure probably won't need adjusting. If you don't want to do the soapy water thing, you can buy a test guage at Home Depot for around $10.00. It has a 3/4" F.I.P. thread and a Schrader valve to pressurize with. Back in the day, in a former life, building inspectors required the system to hold 15 PSI for 15 minutes to pass inspection.

Yes - that would be an easy test. I could rig that up with no trouble. Soapy water is easy too, just a lot of joints to check...
This unit came with natural gas as default, but all parts for LPG conversion.

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
#1: Guinness, #2: Belching Beaver, #3: Leffe or equivalent Belgian brew!
Ok - looks like we've got talking points until the engine build gets underway. I like wheat beers, so H-P is probably one of my favorites. A few others: Warsteiner, Alaskan Amber, Dos XX Amber, Moosehead....

Originally Posted by cds72911
I have the same heater in my garage, and it works well. I think it is a 75K BTU unit. I've used them in two different garages so far, and no complaints.
The only two things I don't love are:
  • Heat is directed up high, even if you adjust the louvers downward, so it doesn't heat as well at ground level (like where you are when under a car)
  • It has exposed combustion, so I avoid things like painting and sanding while it is running to avoid explosion risk
All told, this is an economical way to get heat into a garage, I think you'll enjoy it. If money were no object, I'd have done radiant heat, but I'd rather spend money on other things.
The budget didn't allow for in-floor heating, so I've been using kerosene heaters for the past two years. The unit I just installed is 80k BTU. Should be adequate for the space. I agree, getting the floor warm will be difficult.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:56 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,013 Posts

a large box/floor fan aimed upwards will help circulate the warm air away from the ceiling, just a thought.
The following users liked this post:
cds72911 (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 12:00 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Optionman1
a large box/floor fan aimed upwards will help circulate the warm air away from the ceiling, just a thought.
I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the recommendation! Makes sense that it would help.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:01 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Optionman1
I already have a ceiling fan. It rotates the air clockwise within the building. This was taken in to account when locating the furnace. Hopefully that will be enough. If not, your plan may be a good fall-back.

Quick Reply: The 133,333 mile engine rebuild thread