996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Build Thread: '99 C2 996 LS1 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 03:17 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

I've thought about it as my plan C if I end up needting to do something..

I'd be going for a GM, LGW V6,, Probably the turbo out of a CT6,
smaller dimensions than the LS,, weight should be close to the 996(ish)
with another 60+ HP.. Pre-retune

2016–2019Cadillac CT6 404 hp (301 kW; 410 PS) @ 5700 RPM400 lb⋅ft (542 N⋅m) @ 2500-5100 RPMdyno chart
Old 10-29-2019, 04:34 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

I think a Cayman with an LS swap would make a great track toy!
Old 10-29-2019, 04:47 PM
kondata17
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Will this be a track only car? I was messing around with a dry sump tank in my swapped 996 and the only logical place to put it would be the front trunk. Thats roughly 30+ feet of -16/-20 line or bended hard line. You give any thought where you would mount the tank?
Old 10-30-2019, 01:46 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

There are some tanks that are thin and tall, if you havent seen them, like about 6" in diameter and 2 1/2 feet tall..
They fit Midget race cars..
OR
Isn't there a gt/turbo exhaust that doesn't climb up in to the fenders, if you could clear the right muffler area a stock
early model tank would fit there.. Cool-Yet retro.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:23 AM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you have to cut the frame to fit the engine?
Old 10-30-2019, 09:08 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
I've thought about it as my plan C if I end up needting to do something..

I'd be going for a GM, LGW V6,, Probably the turbo out of a CT6,
smaller dimensions than the LS,, weight should be close to the 996(ish)
with another 60+ HP.. Pre-retune

2016–2019Cadillac CT6 404 hp (301 kW; 410 PS) @ 5700 RPM400 lb⋅ft (542 N⋅m) @ 2500-5100 RPMdyno chart
The LV3 4.3 v6 would be interesting since it's so small and light, however it's only rated at 300hp and I can't find any resource about pumping up the power. Did you ever consider this engine?
Reason is you could leverage on the LS platform for conversion kits.
(LV3 is a 6 cylinder LS engine, so an LS engine but shorter.

Would the LFX fit? It seems very tall? (Also different bellhousing than LS)

Edit:
Someone has measured the LFX, https://oppositelock.kinja.com/engin...ons-1760110530
LS measurements, https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...imensions.html
The following users liked this post:
george_west (11-01-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 09:14 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by turbogrill
The LV3 4.3 v6 would be interesting, however it's only rated at 300hp and I can't find any resource about pumping up the power. Did you ever consider this engine?

you turbo any motor

I stuffed 28” under my rear hood. Not sure how tall the LS is but going a non porsche v6 gives sooo much room in the engine bay.

From bottom of oil pan to top of supercharger.. 28”

RABjr (10-23-2021)
Old 10-31-2019, 11:37 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

The LV3 4.3 v6 would be interesting since it's so small and light, however it's only rated at 300hp and I can't find any resource about pumping up the power. Did you ever consider this engine?

Edit:
Someone has measured the LFX, https://oppositelock.kinja.com/engin...ons-1760110530
LS measurements, https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...imensions.html
Oh yea,,its a interesting engine for several purposes. I just like the all in package of the Caddy motor..
I have looked at the 4.3 for my jeep, a FI setup on it would make it quite a good driving rig..
Old 11-01-2019, 12:18 AM
turbogrill
Racer

Oh yea,,its a interesting engine for several purposes. I just like the all in package of the Caddy motor..
I have looked at the 4.3 for my jeep, a FI setup on it would make it quite a good driving rig..
There is no car intake for that engine right? Only the tall truck ones?

Surprised the aftermarket hasnt responded more, seems like a perfect fit where LS is too much.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:34 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

There is no car intake for that engine right? Only the tall truck ones?
Surprised the aftermarket hasn't responded more, seems like a perfect fit where LS is too much.
Well my old jeep has lots of vertical room so I wasn't too worried,,
It wouldn't be too hard to do a sheet metal intake for it.. Wonder if you could cut down a V8 one?
Not many folks playing with them.. Yet..
Old 11-01-2019, 10:24 AM
turbogrill
Racer

Well my old jeep has lots of vertical room so I wasn't too worried,,
It wouldn't be too hard to do a sheet metal intake for it.. Wonder if you could cut down a V8 one?
Not many folks playing with them.. Yet..
Here is some dynos (93 gas):

E85:

So about the same top power as a 3.4 but with more torque and broader power band (a 3.4 seems to have about 255whp). Curious what would happen if the revlimiter was lifted 500-1000 RPM, torque would probably skydive but would make it easier to stay in the meat. Would the LS engine break from this? Or how do you make an LS survive 6500 rpm?

Reason for the engine would be that I think you could get away without cutting the frame? (It's also lighter making it way lighter than M96)

There are plenty of camshafts for the 5.3 V8s (https://gwatneyperformance.com/produ...#configuration)
Maybe regrind the V6 camshaft to these specs?

Reason for doing all this would be not to cut into your frame and if you don't have the need for >400hp and torque like an oil tanker.

Another "cheap" option would be the modern Escalade 6.2L engine with car intake.

Last edited by turbogrill; 11-01-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:25 PM
george_west
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is some dynos (93 gas):

E85:

So about the same top power as a 3.4 but with more torque and broader power band (a 3.4 seems to have about 255whp). Curious what would happen if the revlimiter was lifted 500-1000 RPM, torque would probably skydive but would make it easier to stay in the meat. Would the LS engine break from this? Or how do you make an LS survive 6500 rpm?

Reason for the engine would be that I think you could get away without cutting the frame? (It's also lighter making it way lighter than M96)

There are plenty of camshafts for the 5.3 V8s (https://gwatneyperformance.com/produ...#configuration)
Maybe regrind the V6 camshaft to these specs?

Reason for doing all this would be not to cut into your frame and if you don't have the need for >400hp and torque like an oil tanker.

Another "cheap" option would be the modern Escalade 6.2L engine with car intake.
I've seen no aftermarket for these motors. I've been watching for a while and thought there would be something by now. Not cutting the crossmember is a big plus. Pushing the weight forward is nice too.

Reground cam would be a great place to start, but you're in uncharted territory. LT1 spec? The lv3 has torque to spare.

Also, I think the lv3 intake is considerably taller than a lsx variant. Measurements would be needed to confirm fitment.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:52 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Originally Posted by george_west
I've seen no aftermarket for these motors. I've been watching for a while and thought there would be something by now. Not cutting the crossmember is a big plus. Pushing the weight forward is nice too.

Reground cam would be a great place to start, but you're in uncharted territory. LT1 spec? The lv3 has torque to spare.

Also, I think the lv3 intake is considerably taller than a lsx variant. Measurements would be needed to confirm fitment.
Seems to be some "hot" L83 cams that are not inteded for trucks, maybe that is a good start.
I found specs on the height of the engine from GM, it's a few inches taller than the car engines due to the manifold.

It seems like having some extra clearance would make this swap much easier. Note that I haven't done a M96->LS swap so I don't know where it would benefit, but it seems like a shorter engine would be a plus.

LV3:

The V8 version:

LS1 (different source)

Seems like car engines are ~27" tall and truck engines are ~30 tall. The v6 is ~3 inch shorter.

The LS1 dimensions are from a different source so the measuring method might differ.

Last edited by turbogrill; 11-01-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:19 PM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Good information .Having done the ls swap :. The 3 inch height increase is a show stopper .In order to clear the suspension crossmember the ls6 has less than a inch clearance between the intake manifold and the body ..One could make a new suspension cross member but ground clearance would be really bad .So the challenge is a shorter intake solution-if one wanted to really do it right probably look at individual throttle bodies .The shorter length is a plus -no body cutting -stock trunk latch and could probably do a intake box similar to the m96 .
george_west (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 07:46 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 109 Posts

I didn't realize this would spark such a lengthy discussion!

FWIW, My LS1 with the F body pan is 25" from bottom of pan to top of intake. Shorter pans are available such as the "batwing" early Corvette pan shown at approximately 22" for the same measurement. Hence why I am finding the shallowest pan possible to run my exhaust underneath. I can run a shallow dry sump pan or a wet sump "front" sump pan which would be physically to the rear of the car. I am leaning towards this option but haven't fully abandoned the dry sump setup. I may just do a dry sump later after I see issues with the wet sump. Plenty of space to mount everything but it would take time and be more initial investment than I wanted. I have other plans following this build so I don't want to spend too much of either right in the middle of it. I am focusing on exhaust and initial clean setup.

I found an original Corvette ac compressor mount for my small F body compressor. Hoping I don't have to change the clutch and it aligns correctly. ICT low alternator mount worked well. Still pushing forward with the build, just nothing good enough to take pictures for. I will probably have a real update in two weeks or so. I want to have the car running or at least cranking around New Years. I'll probably cut the rear crossmember out next weekend, mount the LS1, and start plumbing.

This is a daily driver build that will see occasional but sometimes vigorous track time and my needs or the plan may change as I see fit. Buckle up if you wanted something concrete

Quick Reply: Build Thread: '99 C2 996 LS1 Swap