Sponsored by:

EPS Control arm snapped

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 02:08 PM
The Radium King
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by user 63031
From the video you've shown it looks like the OEM bushing actually allows for a lot more movement than the EPS 'upgrade', the latter not being able to move much at all, and 'springing' in directions the original part was not intended to produce forces in.

Due to that poly bushing introducing significant resistance in directions the original suspension was not designed to resist, the arm will be continuously laterally loaded, more so with every bump. It's like they completely deviated from the original concept of that part, just so they could stick some colored poly in for extra $$. I'm not surprised it broke.
yes, my bad, i was only talking to 50% of the issue. the oem arm is designed to not move under tension/compression, vs the eps which does (the hard plastic/teflon heim joint liner vs poly bushing). eps would introduce caster change under load (as a track guy this is what is front of mind for me).

what i missed as you've all noted is that the oem unit is designed to articulate much more than the eps, so that the eps unit loads under suspension compression/extension in a manner that oem does not. and this is most likely the reason for failure. i mean, a quick look at the design of the arm (a simple 'I' beam) and it is quite obvious that it was not designed to be loaded in the direction that the eps bushing loads it.
The following users liked this post:
hardtailer (07-10-2021)
Old 08-31-2019, 03:11 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Could it be a fake part made out of Pacific Rim pot metal?
Old 09-01-2019, 10:22 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 545 Posts

Wow, that's a significant difference in material, no wonder it snapped.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:44 PM
Schnauzer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've have had the EPS lower control arm on my 2003 C4S for three years and 12,000 miles. I just went out and looked for cracks but happily they look fine. Since the failed part was almost new, it must have been a defective casting on the arm. I suggest that the failed part be sent back to EPS for their testing and comments.

I also see Amazon offering this part at half price compared to directly from EPS. Are these fake copies?

I replaced my original OEM arms because they made a loud knocking noise crossing pavement cracks. It was bad enough that my wife made disparaging comments every time we took the car out. It was either fix the problem or sell the car.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:57 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 545 Posts

I ordered a genuine Porsche AOS from Vertex via Amazon, it was listed as fitting my 02 but what I got was for a Boxter. I emailed them and eventually got the right AOS after getting a second Boxter AOS sent out. They sub'd an aftermarket unit instead of the genuine Porsche part. They eventually made it right.

Good customer service, but poor quality control...
Old 09-01-2019, 08:00 PM
Dan951Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watching that EPS video with the volume muted looked like they were explaining why the design change caused the arm to fail there....all the way down to the flexing the arm back and forth in the vice at the end...yikes!
Old 07-07-2021, 04:54 PM
schnappi
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine snapped yesterday, lasted 16.000 miles. I was lucky as it snapped at low speed a few days before a long roadtrip up the CA coast. I have never tracked the car, this is from street use only.
Please do not install these as serious damage can occur.

Here is the response I got from the manufacturer:
"this is a first for us regarding this, we have never had any problems with our control arms, only when the customer crashes or runs over a corner when turning, that also happens with the factory arms."
Thus they offered a replacement in lieu of a refund. Pelican parts came up with the same response. Needless to say I am not replacing this part with the same brand.

European Parts Solution Control Arm after 16k miles
Old 07-07-2021, 04:58 PM
schnappi
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at the one review left here.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:08 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by schnappi
Look at the one review left here.
Yeah, they are completely lying if they say it’s the first time they heard about this. We all know about this problem, yet they don’t? Yeah, right.
Device2 (12-09-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 12:23 AM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

yep, using a stiff joint there is not a good idea
Old 07-08-2021, 10:49 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 419 Posts

My motto is "OEM is best"!
Old 07-08-2021, 11:49 AM
Billup
Three Wheelin'

Received 611 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnauzer
I've have had the EPS lower control arm on my 2003 C4S for three years and 12,000 miles. I just went out and looked for cracks but happily they look fine. Since the failed part was almost new, it must have been a defective casting on the arm. I suggest that the failed part be sent back to EPS for their testing and comments.

I also see Amazon offering this part at half price compared to directly from EPS. Are these fake copies?
It's highly possible it was a casting that had porosity reducing it's integrity, but looking at the OEM vs. EPS I don't see why anyone would change to the EPS design. Is there an "end game" compared to OEM? To me there's virtually no benefit besides possibly paying less, but as with most, you get what you pay for.

In regards to the Amazon, there are so many fake copies of all types of products on there now days (colognes, car parts, clothing, etc.) that it's not worth assuming the risk because it's become such a crap shoot. Purchasing through a reputable dealer is better, and you may have to pay normal freight charges, but generally less likely to get screwed over with a fake product.
hoofdpijn (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 01:00 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

The cross section of that arm is clearly designed to support loads in tension; that bushing effectively turns it into a spring, and the arm now has to support loads the arm was never designed for. (The last thing you want to do is turn that joint in to a spring.) Stick with the OEM style joint. I've always thought one of the greatest risks to the general public are cad jockeys who think they're engineers because they can model on autodesk/solidworks.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:53 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 108 Posts

The problem here may be two fold. The casting may not be as sturdy or may have had a flaw in it. But this unit also has a totally different type of bushing which is probably not the best design.

As for the Porsche control arms they are over priced due to the Porsche name being printed on the box. Porsche does not make their control arms, they source them from another source like many of the "Porsche" labeled parts. So who actually makes their control arms?

I have used the Meyle control arms on my car and have never had a problem with one is years of use.

As an aside on "Porsche labeled parts, several years ago I needed a new AC compressor for my car. The price at the dealer was about $1,800 in a box labeled Porsche. I went to Rockauto.com and bought the Denso unit for $270. When I removed the original one it was the exact same Denso unit. same model number, configuration, etc. as the one from Rock Auto. So the Porsche one was amost 6.5 time the price. That is crazy!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Dharn55:
DSC800 (07-08-2021), Emefef (08-06-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 10:08 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
The problem here may be two fold. The casting may not be as sturdy or may have had a flaw in it. But this unit also has a totally different type of bushing which is probably not the best design.

As for the Porsche control arms they are over priced due to the Porsche name being printed on the box. Porsche does not make their control arms, they source them from another source like many of the "Porsche" labeled parts. So who actually makes their control arms?

I have used the Meyle control arms on my car and have never had a problem with one is years of use.

As an aside on "Porsche labeled parts, several years ago I needed a new AC compressor for my car. The price at the dealer was about $1,800 in a box labeled Porsche. I went to Rockauto.com and bought the Denso unit for $270. When I removed the original one it was the exact same Denso unit. same model number, configuration, etc. as the one from Rock Auto. So the Porsche one was almost 6.5 time the price. That is crazy!!

I wish it was like that with the coolant expansion tanks! I just bought an OEM one for $450 when an aftermarket one is $50 dollars. The aftermarket Non - OEM one BBi installed in my car for $650 lasted less than a year. Some things do make a difference when they are OEM. I would definetly try the Mahle suspension pieces. They come with a warranty.

Quick Reply: EPS Control arm snapped