Sponsored by:

"Porsche " envy ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 08:58 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by JasonW
This thread reminds me of Atlas Shrugged.
What a great book. I have yet to run into a liberal that has read it, it's usually on the "to do list"....
Old 03-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Patrick Krause
Advanced

Default Gotta jump in on this one...

I live in downtown Philly so I have put off buying a p-car until we have a garage (getting close to pulling the trigger though).
The funny thing is, I drive a 98 chevy truck (mtn bikes, skiing etc.) so I get the reverse reaction, funny looks like I'm a redneck etc, like something is wrong with me.
My wife has a newer 3 series bmw so she gets the "must be nice" attitude. She told me that once I get my car I can't drive it to work 'cause once everyone finds out, the redneck comments will change...
My point is, damned of you do...damned if you don't, so f-them all.
Life is way to short so as long as you do things for yourself, that's all that should matter...
PK
Old 03-01-2004, 10:05 PM
KWC4S
Instructor

yep, as soon as the word got around at work people had the audacity to say within ear shot... like i weren't there.."yeah, we must be paying him too much." so i tell them with a big grin..."you don't say that to the young guys with 2 kids and one on the way, now do ya?"
No a single person has had a reply. They just look dumb!
Old 03-02-2004, 12:16 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

I may as well post since I am on the outside looking in. Don't have a p-car...yet. Keyword is yet. Drive an audi S4, and when I got that most folks didn't know what it was or just thought it was some type of A4. A few people in my department gave me the rich kid look till they realized I was a real car addict, then they were okay with everything. They also realized I am just out of college and have no kids etc, though everyone makes more then I do in my dept (bottom of totem pole) I still probably come out ahead by not having a family yet.

I have total respect for p-cars and p-cars owners. I am a hater of the type of think their car is so special and their s*it don't stink. But that doesn't include the p-car brand that goes around to all brands really. Personally I appreciate the owner who buys the car to enjoy it not to have a little badge acting as an extension of their manhood. A friend or two have p-cars that I have gotten the chance to drive on a few occasions and I have enjoyed them emensly. Its a true driving experience and I look forward to getting one. Infact I almost pulled the trigger on a 996 C4, to be a stable mate to my S4, but got a condo instead. The p-car can wait my insurance can only drop more, and the S4 is no slouch either. I personally care little about the way people look at me based on the car that I drive. I own a car to enjoy and to drive. To me its a form of relaxation and thrill of just driving down the road knowing that few other cars in the world exist like it and can match what it can do when pushed.

It has nothing to do with ego but everything to with enjoying it while you can. You only live once, and you cant take it with you when you go so live it up now. One day when your too old to drive you can remember the days when you blasted down country roads at illegal speeds in car that was meant to soak up turns and tarmac reminding you that those speed limits were put in place for the safety of people with cars that cant handle turns like a good german car can.

That is all. Enjoy what ya got, share your enjoyment with people who appreciate and lock out those that don't.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:48 AM
BSG03Cab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just drive and enjoy! One bright side to P-Car envy; your car is always left up front at valet parking!
Enjoy your cars.
Bruce
Old 03-02-2004, 08:34 AM
jbdmd
Pro

ok

so i say if:
you drive a p-car b/c you want people to think your S don't stink...Good On Yah!
you drive a p-car b/c it is the most amazing road car ever...Good On yah
you drive a p-car b/c you want to clock mad women....Good on Yah

At any moment I am, will be or have been one or all of the above and to be honest....I could Shive a Git what most people think of my motivations!

Oh and to the bosses who think "I'm paid too much..." Just keep writting the checks son!
Old 03-02-2004, 08:36 PM
drafting
Instructor

This is an amazingly durable thread! My $0.019:

I was laying the "what about world hunger?" "man, how is it that I'll be driving this dream-car and some of my friends aren't in nearly as good a financial shape as we're in?" vibe on myself even before I got my first P-car. At the end of the day none of us can really do much about the situation or perceptions of others ("give a man a fish", etc.) beyond supporting them in their endeavours. Think globally, act locally, have fun.

Now that I have the car, I still occasionally cycle through many of the same emotions as have been shared previously in this thread, but never when I'm driving! I do only drive the car to clients that know me well already (good or bad, that die is cast), particularly those that are car crazy as well. As a general philosophy in reference to my consultancy, I'd rather the first thought that pops into a client's head to be how much they value my expertise and assistance to their brand, instead of anything to do with my ride.

Of course, I have somewhat wussed out of having to deal with taking any (much) crap from friends or sundry knuckleheads by always responding to the usual comments about my P-car with "yep, it's a fantastic gift from my wife. She is just so thougthful.". There's no chance that anybody is going to dump on my wife, and people are stopped in their mental tracks every time, thinking about lottery winnings, inheritance, or whatever, but they absolutely don't know what to make of my statement. I've only ever gotten one person that came back with "well, your wife sure must be rich.", to which I retorted "well I don't know about that, but she sure is benevolent!". It's all true anyway, because without this great woman by my side, I would not have this car. Gotta love it (I mean HER!) fwiw.....

Jeff
Old 03-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Joe Anstett
Racer

My first p-car is an 18 year old 951 destined for autocross/track and I get a little of that vibe from family & coworkers.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:29 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Originally posted by jbdmd
"...Oh and to the bosses who think "I'm paid too much..." Just keep writting the checks son! "
it's interesting to note how many posts here, express fear that bosses/co-working will think they're over-paid.

in my business, 'phat' cars, zegna suites, a. lang & sohne wristwatches, yada, yada, yada, are considered de rigueur. mangers like to see their guy's live high and take on big car payments/mortgages 'cause they believe it's the best motivator (sales).
Old 03-08-2004, 05:32 PM
TitanL9
Pro

Originally posted by fahren affair
it's interesting to note how many posts here, express fear that bosses/co-working will think they're over-paid.

in my business, 'phat' cars, zegna suites, a. lang & sohne wristwatches, yada, yada, yada, are considered de rigueur. mangers like to see their guy's live high and take on big car payments/mortgages 'cause they believe it's the best motivator (sales).
Yes, you're right. But, there's a bigger picture over shadowing those employees and it's based on corporate cultural theories, X, Y and Z. The mentality you speak of is X culture, (negative motivation). Meaning they assume they won't get your best without pushing you, keeping pressure on you, and hoping you get almost over extended financially, so you almost become captured labor. It's often found in very specific employment mkt's, i.e.: highly leveraged commissioned based jobs where job content and future has limits...

The vast majority of employment markets don't have highly leveraged jobs, yet possesses X based cultures (95%). "Y" culture assumes you will perform at your best, whether your paid a premium or not, just because that's who you are. "Z" is commonly associated with the Japanese labor mkt's and to my knowledge hasn't been clearly defined yet. Although, various research teams have been attempting analysis since I started working. I studied and wrote a book on this very topic many years ago.

Negative motivation only works with certain personalities, it falls flat on others.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:03 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Originally posted by TitanL9
"...Negative motivation only works with certain personalities, it falls flat on others."
agreed.
my motivation is a new gt3
Old 03-10-2004, 04:27 PM
Chris CT 996
Intermediate

Great thread.

I've owned several "911s" and have seen and heard my share as well. Everything from "Oh, couldn't you afford a Boxster?" to "Is that your Dad's?" (I'm 43 and gray-haired).

Funny thing is, I expected more negativity from others than I've actually experienced. Sure, I've had to put up with my fair share of being tail-gated and what have you from various road-idiots over the years, but most people seem pretty pumped to see and/or talk about my P-car.

The fact that I own such cars may have initally surprised some of my family and friends, but they seem to get into it pretty quick...particularly once they've gone for a ride.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:36 PM
TitanL9
Pro

Chris, your right. Once we can get apprehensive people to take a ride or talk freely about the car, not what it might represent, and let them know we put our pants on the same as they do, attitudes dissipate.

However, it does take acknowledging and concern for the problem and persistence on our part to overcome the "pre-conceptions".

Last night I drove my son to soccer practice in the PCar. The kids really thought it was cool... gives me a buzz and my son. But, I wish you could have seen the looks on the faces of some parents.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:17 PM
rons2112
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Scott 996
You guys are killing me with this stuff.
I s*** you not, I just got the "Camaro" comment yesterday from a colleague--walked up on my car, saw the "Carrera" script, must have read "Camaro"...
Have you ever had the negative vibe from someone that you know well enough to know that they could have bought a P- Car or two as well if they hadn't pissed their money away on their own " frivilous" luxuries ????
It's all about priorities brother !!!
Hey, it could be worse. You could have people call your car a Miata

-Ron
2000 Boxster
Old 03-10-2004, 08:29 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

The thread that wouldn't die

Quick Reply: "Porsche " envy ?