996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

"Porsche " envy ?

Old 02-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

That is all too true. My wife and I have the same problem, we've lost touch with people we would have considered very good friends at one point because they had issues with our success. I had a good friend who just bought a house. I said to him I can't wait to come over when they get settled. His comment was that his house wasn't as nice as mine so I shouldn't worry about it. WTF?? I've known this guy 15 years - he remembers me when I was renting a one bedroom basement apartment and didn't have a car to get around in... I was really hurt by that, like I give a crap what kind of house he has I was just really happy for them.

Man I don't even have to pay someone $175/hour to vent now if you excuse me I have a Vicodin calling....
Old 02-20-2004, 02:24 PM
TitanL9
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by riad
That is all too true. My wife and I have the same problem, we've lost touch with people we would have considered very good friends at one point because they had issues with our success. I had a good friend who just bought a house. I said to him I can't wait to come over when they get settled. His comment was that his house wasn't as nice as mine so I shouldn't worry about it. WTF?? I've known this guy 15 years - he remembers me when I was renting a one bedroom basement apartment and didn't have a car to get around in... I was really hurt by that, like I give a crap what kind of house he has I was just really happy for them.

Man I don't even have to pay someone $175/hour to vent now if you excuse me I have a Vicodin calling....
Raid... I never cared what someone does for a living or how successful they are. I put more value in family, friends and people then money materials and whatever. I lost one 20yr friend some years back because he was down on his luck for an extended period, and I wasn't. His family was falling apart and his career was tanking. His wife told me he couldn't stand to face me. That hurt me a lot...because I believe good friends are there to help each other.

The reason I am successful is I simply believe putting in 150% at what ever I attempt is the way it is!!! As a result, I excel at most activities and if their work related money follows. Money is to buy toys with, have fun with your friends and live. I've even had this problem with some of our family members thinking I am to different, so they don't visit. I guess that could be a good thingy... but it still makes me
Old 02-20-2004, 06:24 PM
Gery NJ
Racer

Hey people. P-car is just a car not a badge or indicator of success. Envy starts and extends to anything anyone achieve from family, money to cars.
I do have a P-car and not a bit ashamed by it.
My clients told me that I was costing them too much before I could afford P-car, at least now I can tell them that they are right. :-)
Old 02-21-2004, 08:46 PM
Jim Hodel
Advanced

I think you hit the nail on the head Gery - it's not just because it's a 'Porsche'. It's because it's perceived as an semi-useless extravagance.

I work on contract in a variety of offices and am careful not to mention my cars because I do not want to apear like I am bragging in any way - I'm sure all of you have witnessed that before from someone who is so proud of his car (and himself) that he makes everyone else nausous.

Once I get to know everyone and they realize that I'm into high performance cars in general, I don't get much attitude. Even when I do get the occasional comment, I think it's less due to 'jealousy' then it is to some people having an overly well developed sense of responsibility and simply not understanding the whole car thing.

Jim
Old 02-22-2004, 02:23 AM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has happend to me ... I must admit after reading everyone's posts.
And it realy hurts and does bother me deep inside.

I have always been into cars, and got my first sports car at 21, and have had one ever since.

Well I am into cars and no one I know is at all on the level I am. My high schools friends left me after I got into higher end sports cars.

Now I don't even talk to people I have know for over 30 years. That is stupid. I never mention the cars becuase I don't want to make people jealious. But deep inside I want to talk about cars, not becuase I want to say what I own, but becuause I want to talk about cars. Heck I will even talk about anything with wheels.

I'm pretty bummed, that I don't have anyone around me into cars, I would realy like to meet local people with a passion for the same things.

I have been into high end things ever since I was a kid. Building robots in high school and having a home PC when no one knew what they where in 1979.

So when friends started to talk about about there Big Screen TV and home theater, I tend to just listen. I do not want to seem like I am bragging.
same with cars. and same when it comes to houses.

Just bothers me that people I have known since I was 5 years old now act as though I am not around. The circle of friend I did have all seem to stay in touch with each other but I am like an outcast.

They call me about twice a year to tell me about the guitar stuff they have purchased. I just end up listening, I am also in to guitar and keyboards.

Kinda sucks knowing this all happened becuase I have a decent job and pay.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:24 AM
Vampyre
Racer

This has happened to me ... I must admit after reading everyone's posts.
And it really hurts and does bother me deep inside.

I have always been into cars, and got my first sports car at 21, and have had one ever since.

Well I am into cars and no one I know is at all on the level I am. My high schools friends left me after I got into higher end sports cars.

Now I don't even talk to people I have know for over 30 years. That is stupid. I never mention the cars because I don't want to make people jealous. But deep inside I want to talk about cars, not because I want to say what I own, but because I want to talk about cars. Heck I will even talk about anything with wheels.

I'm pretty bummed, that I don't have anyone around me into cars, I would really like to meet local people with a passion for the same things.

I have been into high end things ever since I was a kid. Building robots in high school and having a home PC when no one knew what they where in 1979.

So when friends started to talk about about there Big Screen TV and home theater, I tend to just listen. I do not want to seem like I am bragging.
same with cars. and same when it comes to houses.

Just bothers me that people I have known since I was 5 years old now act as though I am not around. The circle of friend I did have all seem to stay in touch with each other but I am like an outcast.

They call me about twice a year to tell me about the guitar stuff they have purchased. I just end up listening, I am also in to guitar and keyboards.

Kinda sucks knowing this all happened because I have a decent job and pay.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:33 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,068 Likes on 1,180 Posts

I hope you all don't mind a front engine owner posting.

I was 17 when I bought the 944S. My family thought nothing of it. My father always had a sports car, mostly Vette's up till now. Relatives had the "kid that age doesn't deserve...." attitude even after my mom would tell them they had nothing to do with my purchase. Friends were excited since now they got to ride in it all the time. Friends of friends and their girlfriends usually gave me the snob attitude.

After I bought my 2nd Porsche, the 928 a few years ago, it started all over again.

It was real uncomfortable when people at work found out about one of them, only got worse after the 2nd one. When people ask me what I drive, I tell them an Audi. Unless its a car function (show, race etc..) Non-car people don't understand.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:20 PM
wilam
Instructor

Life is too short to have to worry about what others think or their envy of what your lifestyle is. These people are not your friends anyway so why worry about it? If having a P-car gives you joy, go for it. It's not like it is illegal or something. I wouldn't go aorund bragging about it either but I have been through this kind of envy from those around me. They are just jealous and its too bad they do not put their energy towards doing something to change their situation.

Your real friends will be happy for you.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:39 AM
superyota
Intermediate

I live in Newport Beach, CA and one of the neighbors kids told me that he over heard my neighbors say that they were upset that a "punk kid with a Porsche" bought a house here. A lot of people are "haters"...I just enjoy life; I smile and give thumbs up when I see nicer rides.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:39 PM
fincdsr
8th Gear

I drove a Yugo for six years ('88-'94) so I've really gotten over what people think of me.

At least that is what I thought, except I start a new job in a couple of weeks, and I'm going to show up for it in my Ford Ranger for a while. It said to say, but I think people will judge me by what I pull up in, not what I contribute.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:45 PM
TitanL9
Pro

I have clients that actually make an effort to see what type of auto candidates their potential execs drive, and how they care for it. Believe it or not, there are many company leaders that feel if someone drives an expensive auto, their not managing their finances very well and won't hire them.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:04 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

absolutely titanL9! i'd feel a lot better if a potential business partner was driving a porsche than if they were driving a hyundai!!!

yes, you could make the argument that the hyundai owner could be a better businessman who is thrifty and you'd rather do business with him. but realistically? you want the guy who can afford the expensive car!
Old 02-26-2004, 06:31 PM
TitanL9
Pro

teflon, are you assuming that all folks driving Pcars, MBZ's & BMW's can afford them. LOL... I'd say that was streach that I can't get my arms around.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:07 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Thumbs down

What am I giong to do when my car arrives in June...

It didnt' previously occur to me that I'm going to have to develop a complex strategy for when to drive and when not to drive the Porsche

Do I need three cars now? One total beater (got that one covered already) one nice moderate car, and one exotic porsche? Maybe I need 4 even, total beater, mid priced sedan, semi-pricey sedan, and exotic sports car to make sure I suit the car properly to the outting?

Last edited by brh986; 02-29-2004 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:47 PM
JasonW
Instructor

This thread reminds me of Atlas Shrugged.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Porsche " envy ?