Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Darn. Someone let the cat out of the bag. Video on 996 prices increasing.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 05:00 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

There are 2 points the come to mind:
1. The only credential needed to publish and promote an opinion in the Internet is the ability to make a youtube video.
2. We won't have solid evidence on 996 prices until we see the springtime buying spree next year.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
Jake told me dont call him back if 12 month wait and 40k scared me. Needless to say I didnt call him back.

FlatSix is not the only shop around.

But for a street build I thought Jakes call was, well Jake being Jake and out of line.

My points is asked anyone that bought a roller and didnt do the work themselves what the real costs are. Its alot more than most, if not all figured.
I've seen you post this same thing many times already. Not sure what your situation was but I've spoken to FSI several times about a rebuild. They been nothing but helpful. I even asked them a few times not to waste any time with me if they were busy. They ALWAYS responded with a thorough email/phone call. They made it very clear to me that they simply love what they do, even if the person they are speaking to isn't likely to be a customer.

Not sure where you got the $40k figure, but my proposal was in the $20's. Your story seems to have more to it than you're leading on.

FSI is the only shop I would trust with my engine build. I'm a business owner myself and I get why their shop is so unique.
The following users liked this post:
GH996 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 05:18 PM
boisenelson
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 133 Posts

And the guy in the video was driving a Boxster? Kinda ironic........
Old 07-10-2019, 06:44 PM
mrdeezy
Banned

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Low mileage and now even mid mileage cars will go up slightly . It depends on a lot of factors. How clean the car is and documentation.
Anybody who buys any Porsche to fix up is nuts to me. Maybe a ford or Honda...The cost to get a 18k 996 to a 25k 996's value would be 20k minimum.

I would love another 968, they are all thrashed and its incredibly naive to think a car with parts prices like any Porsche can be much of a fixer upper. The 968's
with asking prices around 12k would cost about another 12k to make nice with very difficult parts to find as well. My 996 has some uv fading and scratching on the
interior.It would cost me a couple of grand easy to get that back up to my spec. The point is most Porsche people are meticulous and you should ALWAYS buy the best condition car
you can afford. An example is all of the restored air cooled cars selling for less than half of the restoration cost. It really makes no sense. It only makes sense in those commercials for the
auto parts stores where the greasy kid has a wrench and an ugly Jeep his uncle gave him and is trying to get the thing to start so he can go to school. Not in the Porsche world.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:01 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,467 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
I've seen you post this same thing many times already. Not sure what your situation was but I've spoken to FSI several times about a rebuild. They been nothing but helpful. I even asked them a few times not to waste any time with me if they were busy. They ALWAYS responded with a thorough email/phone call. They made it very clear to me that they simply love what they do, even if the person they are speaking to isn't likely to be a customer.

Not sure where you got the $40k figure, but my proposal was in the $20's. Your story seems to have more to it than you're leading on.

FSI is the only shop I would trust with my engine build. I'm a business owner myself and I get why their shop is so unique.
Jake has, on RL board confirmed the poor VM he left me.

No worries. He is a great mechanic and inventor. i

Glad you are happy with your 20k+ or something engine and 12 mo wait.

All good.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:03 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,467 Likes on 965 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
40K$ - seriously?
Yeah, VM message kind blew me away.

"If the 12 mo wait and 40K doesnt scare me off" call me back"

I had a local shop build my engine.

My only point is FlatSix not a simple build; time or money for most 996 owners.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:12 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 329 Posts

The 996 911 is just a great car, even with the IMS voodoo. It's not even a terribly expensive fix for cars that retailed for 80-100k 20 years ago. I agree that after the 996 Porsches started getting bigger and more about luxury, great cars just different. I've said this before the 996 reminds me of my 95 M3, just very raw feeling, feels like a sports car.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:36 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I was going to make the same point as you. There is more than one M96 rebuilder on the planet. However, I didn't want to get someone with panties wadded after me. When I was shopping seriously, I got a few engine quotes. For a rebuild with a good core case it ran from $14k up to $22k. I'm sure the $14 engine would be a lot of used parts. I'm sure the $22k engine is what I would likely buy, or somewhere in the middle of the two. If I got a roller for $8k, and dumped $20k in, with good IMSB, and some of the other issues addressed, I would be happy with just under $30k invested in a car I was keeping forever. But - being who I am, it's unlikely that I would keep it forever.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:41 PM
Quaz
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 42 Posts

The 996 is not at the bottom of the curve yet. The 986 is at the bottom, but what is the difference? You can pick up a 986 for $5K that is a mess, but even the worst 996s are still in the 15K range. Why is that significant? Because for $5K you can pick up a 986 and part it out for more than what you paid for it. I am starting to see more and more Boxsters bought just to be taken apart. The 996 hasn’t quite hit that point yet, but it is close. When this happens a lot of cars will very quickly leave the market and the remaining ones will all seem to look better. It takes a couple years for this to happen and with the number of cars sold don’t expect to be turning big profits for 5-6 years.

My personal prediction is the Boxster will actually turn the corner first and start going back up. Trying to find a very clean 97 boxster is getting very difficult at this point. Most of them are pretty abused. These will start to become increasingly harder to find until they start escalating in value. Once that happens then the S models will start to go up and at the point it costs the same to get a 986 or 996 the 996 will take off. Everyone will argue the 986 is just like a 944 or a 914 and will never be worth big money. That is not true for 2 reasons. First it looks like a 996 from the front. Second it has the same engine as the 996 (with less HP). The 944s were puffed up Audis and the 914 was also more VW than Porsche. If you want proof of my point try to buy a 914-6. They were never cheap like a 914 and currently are worth as much as any early 911. Why because they are more 911 than 914. Boxster is the same. Watch the Boxster values and you will know when the 996s will take off. The cars were made together and will forever be linked.
Mike Murphy (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 08:45 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

^^^ Can I borrow your crystal ball?
Old 07-10-2019, 08:52 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 329 Posts

I sorta get it. That engine could not have ended up being $40k but the reality is he might deal with a lot of tire kickers and just wants to weed people who aren't serious about plunking down a deposit right away. I am not saying its the right sales tactic but it's just how some people do it. I detail cars and I get a lot of "want my wife's minivan detailed." Okay (I don't really want these jobs), how bad is it, how many kids you got? Its probably gonna be $300, 99% of the time they don't respond or don't want to spend more than $100. People want me to spend a lot of time for $10 an hour when the reality is I a prefer to schedule the correction work for $50 an hour.

Originally Posted by 911Syncro
There are 2 points the come to mind:
1. The only credential needed to publish and promote an opinion in the Internet is the ability to make a youtube video.
2. We won't have solid evidence on 996 prices until we see the springtime buying spree next year.
Didn't he post the Haggerty graph showing an increase over the last 3 years?
Old 07-10-2019, 08:56 PM
Quaz
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
^^^ Can I borrow your crystal ball?
Man if I had a crystal ball I would use it for the stock market not cars. I am just judging this based on what happened to the early 911s in the last 10 years. History does tend to repeat itself.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:41 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
40K$ - seriously?
That price ws for what 996AE had quickly outlined for a project goal, and a quick response from me.

Most of our builds are 24-27K these days, unless a failure is experienced.

Yes, some builds top 40K. Not all, and not a majority, but some. I also try to be very up front with the ancillary costs as well, and typically factor in vehicle shipping costs both ways as well, even though they are not included, people still experience them. My goal is for no one to ever say “I didn’t expect it to cost this much”.I haven’t heard that in 18 years. My way may be too direct for some, but its the way I do things, and the way I will always do things. Change is not possible.

My way may not be the modern way, but last time I checked the only real benefit of being in my position is doing things my way. Some people don’t agree, and that’s fine.There’s lots of builders out there that’ll kiss their tails, and do everything they expect just to gain their business. Most builders in this industry spend all their time traveling to events, playing politics.

All that said, the 996 has been going up in value for the last 18 months. I saw it before anyone else.
mrdeezy (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:08 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm real happy I got my 996 when I did for what I did with the IMS serviced. I also got a smoking deal on HRE wheels from the forum. I'm in the middle of making it look how I want and a few other odds and ends. I can honestly see the car going to Flat 6 for a rebuild and reliability upgrade in a two to five year window as well. I doubt for that much money all in, I could have a car I enjoy as much. Honestly when you start looking at what parts cost and how much FSI stands behind their products, what all is involved, their pricing is pretty reasonable. It's just a sad state that Porsche parts cost a lot more than the domestic V8 stuff I grew up with. Jake can't fix that except by paying his employees less, which for the quality they deliver is absurd to ask.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:09 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Jake can't fix that except by paying his employees less, which for the quality they deliver is absurd to ask
And they’ve all been here for years, too.. My newest engine builder has now been here for 14 years, and everyone is paid well for what they do. Every year engines go up in price, as my costs increase. Every year we find something else that needs to be replaced, as the cars age, so we add that into the price.

Quick Reply: Darn. Someone let the cat out of the bag. Video on 996 prices increasing.