Sponsored by:

license plate adapter

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 09:02 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by bbboomer67
This is what I used, but I don't remember the parts being this expensive!

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...pg3.htm#item10
That's the one. Don't remember any washers, but that is the kit. Note that there is a left and right mounting block which is important for proper flush mounting.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:57 PM
mrfeh
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Finally measured things...the plate is 12" wide, and the holes in the front bumper are 10" apart.

So, I should be able to use the Porsche adapter, apparently without any black plastic showing on either side of the plate.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:20 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfeh
Finally measured things...the plate is 12" wide, and the holes in the front bumper are 10" apart.

So, I should be able to use the Porsche adapter, apparently without any black plastic showing on either side of the plate.
I believe the Porsche plate kit on my car does NOT show any black plastic outside of the license plate. It does come right to the edge of the license plate though. Sorry didn't understand your concerns earlier. Found an old pic of my car that shows plate from quarter view.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:11 AM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you have a picture of the front of your car? I'd like to know what the black plastic on either side of the mounted plate looks like.
This photo may not be much help, but you asked...
Old 07-09-2019, 03:32 PM
RSBro
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Texas requires a front plate but I don't keep one on my 996, and in fact, am having the two front holes filled in/painted since the front bumper is already getting painted. Never been hassled for it.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:20 PM
NE1N-11
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Optionman1
NJ requires front plate. i keep mine on the passenger floor. i've passed numerous NJ police over the past 4 months and +5k miles i've driven and haven't been stopped once. if i do get stopped i plan on showing the plate and saying i just had front bumper touched up and haven't replaced it yet or some such story. if i ever get pulled over for speeding i hope it will give the officer an alternative ticket to write me, failure to display plate vs speeding. Just my thoughts on the matter.

I pretty much do the same thing except I don't even keep the front tag in the car. The first thing I did once I signed the paperwork (and it was technically mine) was walk out and remove the front bracket and filled the holes with BumperPlugs. Have not had a single issue yet and even have both front windows tinted which is a no-no and still haven't had an issue. I see tons of modern Porsche's (Macans, Caynenes, etc) in NJ without front tags.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:53 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,348 Likes on 662 Posts

That matches the factory bracket (it's actually 25cm but close to 10").

Old 07-09-2019, 10:29 PM
mrfeh
Racer

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
That matches the factory bracket (it's actually 25cm but close to 10").
I ordered the Porsche spacers and bracket. I'd rather not have a front plate at all, but I'd be pretty unhappy if I had to pay a fine.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:04 AM
bplein
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When I lived in CA, I got popped for lack of a front plate in my 2005 Mustang GT.

I was driving quickly on my way to SFO, and the CHP decided to try and get me for speeding. There was a lot of traffic and I saw him weaving through to catch up to me, so I slowed down to the limit, pretty close to my intended exit for off-site parking anyhow. As he slowly drove near me, and then past me, he looked back, saw my missing plates, and pulled me over.

So NOT having plates, in my opinion, is a good way of allowing them to pull you over when they don't like you for some reason, and just need any reason at all in order to get you with something.

I run front plates here in TX because I can't be bothered with all of the different enforcement policies. Some small towns like to generate revenue. State troopers tend to be 100% about public safety and are quite friendly and not at all "revenue generating" in my experience. My city also has very good police who seem to be "safety first, tickets maybe" while the town next door has motorcycle cops whose primary job is revenue generation.

No disrespect to Law Enforcement. Policies differ from city to city and that's why I run a tow-hook adapter front plate.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:35 AM
Cayman292
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

I ordered the Porsche spacers and bracket. I'd rather not have a front plate at all, but I'd be pretty unhappy if I had to pay a fine.
Don’t know if this helps,just came across your thread and I went through a similar search and I came up with the Skene design bracket because I like the plate centered and I didn’t want to put any holes in the bumper. I didn’t buy theirs,but made my own similar since I had the materials on hand.

Commercial bracket

Mine
Old 07-12-2019, 11:32 AM
mrfeh
Racer

Has anybody every taken a look at the front bumper after having used the Porsche adapter? The spacers are hard plastic - I've got a feeling they're gonna mar the paint.

Won't matter to me, but if the next owner doesn't want/need a front plate, there may be scratches where the plate once was.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:55 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

I have them on both of my 996 and they don't mar the paint in normal use. Now if you go drive into something and hit plate first, you may have a different result.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:30 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

Use Leading Edge Tape on the bumper before install, its like clear bra but comes in a roll, very thick clear plastic,, originally made for protecting the leading edge of helicopter and propeller blades. 20 bucks a roll give or take.. more the wider you buy.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:41 AM
mrfeh
Racer

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Use Leading Edge Tape on the bumper before install, its like clear bra but comes in a roll, very thick clear plastic,, originally made for protecting the leading edge of helicopter and propeller blades. 20 bucks a roll give or take.. more the wider you buy.
Is this something you've actually done, or a recommendation?

The adapter mounts are designed to be flush on the bumper. I don't know if they would work properly w/ something under them.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:10 AM
mrfeh
Racer

Default not happy with the results

The mounted adapter is not close to vertical. I could swap the mounts left for right, but then the adapter would be pointed at the road.

Quick Reply: license plate adapter