996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2019 Engine Rebuild Comparison RND/FSI/EBS/Vertex

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 11:27 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 276 Posts

I have a contact that says they’ve changed the process in order to prevent people from using a CoA to obtain the original serial numbers and then use that info to modify non-original components to match the CoA data.

Supposedly now the only way to determine if your classic P-car is numbers-matching is to take it to an authorized Porsche Classic dealer. Only they have the ability to scour the internal database and will then give you a thumbs up or down on what’s installed in your car at that moment. TIFWIW.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:59 PM
wsrgklt
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts

After a bit of prodding, I did get some additional information from Alpine Autowerks, the Calgary shop that installs the Hartech sleeves from the UK. For those unfamiliar with it, they have an extensive rebuild involving wet liner aluminum alloy sleeves with Nikasil plating. They also modify the heads and block to convert the engine to a closed deck, which they say stabilizes the cylinders to reduce the risk of movement and bore scoring. Finally, they make some adjustments to the coolant flow to improve cooling, especially on bank 4-5-6, which again, they say is important for avoiding scoring issues.

On my initial call with Marc at Alpine, he indicated that their shop was very busy, with 6 cars currently undergoing engine rebuilds. He also indicated that they had not rebuilt a 3.4 with Hartech sleeves yet, and had to consult with the UK to confirm they were set up to do it. He also conveyed that they had seen some motors rebuilt with Nickies that ended up with scoring, and had rebuilt them again with the Hartech process. (I'm not looking to start a battle about sleeves again here - for more info, see Charles' excellent post that addresses Nickies reliability earlier in this thread).

I didn't get a detailed quote from Alpine, and I'm not going to pursue it, as they seem overwhelmed and I'm not likely to go this route. The info I do have from them is as follows:
* The 3.4 is repairable with the Hartech sleeves. Displacement increase is an option.
* Turnaround time for the engine build is currently 2-4 months.
* The repair cost for a bare case is CAD 5,500.
* The typical cost for an assembled long block is CAD 12-15K (Engine rebuilds are à la carte so the actual price is determined after tear down & evaluation.)
* A total build including installation is CAD 17-20k.

At current exchange rates, CAD 15k is roughly USD 11k. That makes this a potentially attractive option for US owners, assuming the higher-end build from them includes a similar parts bill as the other high end options in the comparison. However, my sense is they might not be so easy to work with from a long distance. For someone close to Calgary, this likely an excellent option.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:04 AM
wsrgklt
Racer

No follow-ups from either of the two Porsche dealers I contacted about the factory short block swap, and I'm not going to hound them to take my money. I'll stand by my earlier conclusion that no shop wants to do this job. Perhaps it's a viable option for an owner who can take on a rebuild project on their own.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:15 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Call Jason at 9xx in Cali. if you want to ad to your list.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:54 AM
wsrgklt
Racer

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Call Jason at 9xx in Cali. if you want to ad to your list.
Already did. They are columns H and I on the spreadsheet
Old 05-09-2019, 10:22 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

So which way are you leaning at this point? You've done an excellent job here and provided valuable information.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:41 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 211 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by wsrgklt
I didn't get a detailed quote from Alpine, and I'm not going to pursue it, as they seem overwhelmed and I'm not likely to go this route. The info I do have from them is as follows:
* The 3.4 is repairable with the Hartech sleeves. Displacement increase is an option.
* The typical cost for an assembled long block is CAD 12-15K (Engine rebuilds are à la carte so the actual price is determined after tear down & evaluation.)
This is great information. I wonder how much to ship back and forth the long block. Makes me think of dropping my engine in the fall, sending the long block to Calgary for the winter and re-installing in the spring. Although I have to admit I had this dream of shipping the whole car to them for the winter, picking up in the spring and driving her back (first 1000km to break in, last 2500km mach schnell)
Old 05-09-2019, 01:06 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by strathconaman
This is great information. I wonder how much to ship back and forth the long block. Makes me think of dropping my engine in the fall, sending the long block to Calgary for the winter and re-installing in the spring. Although I have to admit I had this dream of shipping the whole car to them for the winter, picking up in the spring and driving her back (first 1000km to break in, last 2500km mach schnell)
Once it's all said and done, I think shipping the car would be the best option.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:02 PM
wsrgklt
Racer

So which way are you leaning at this point? You've done an excellent job here and provided valuable information.
Depends on the day. Sometimes I wake up thinking I can talk myself into sinking $15k+ in this car, other days I just want to light it on fire and roast marshmallows with the kids.

I know you're following the used engine thread too. I'm getting a little more info on that front, and I'm going to make a decision in the next few days.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:04 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
In order to properly test the engine under driving conditions, the engine needs to be installed in the car. This is pretty much the position of Flat 6 Innovations (though I think they will accept an engine in a crate, they strongly discourage it). I can't imagine it would be any different for other engine builders.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:07 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

After a bit of prodding, I did get some additional information from Alpine Autowerks, the Calgary shop that installs the Hartech sleeves from the UK. For those unfamiliar with it, they have an extensive rebuild involving wet liner aluminum alloy sleeves with Nikasil plating. They also modify the heads and block to convert the engine to a closed deck, which they say stabilizes the cylinders to reduce the risk of movement and bore scoring. Finally, they make some adjustments to the coolant flow to improve cooling, especially on bank 4-5-6, which again, they say is important for avoiding scoring issues.

On my initial call with Marc at Alpine, he indicated that their shop was very busy, with 6 cars currently undergoing engine rebuilds. He also indicated that they had not rebuilt a 3.4 with Hartech sleeves yet, and had to consult with the UK to confirm they were set up to do it. He also conveyed that they had seen some motors rebuilt with Nickies that ended up with scoring, and had rebuilt them again with the Hartech process. (I'm not looking to start a battle about sleeves again here - for more info, see Charles' excellent post that addresses Nickies reliability earlier in this thread).

At current exchange rates, CAD 15k is roughly USD 11k. That makes this a potentially attractive option for US owners, assuming the higher-end build from them includes a similar parts bill as the other high end options in the comparison. However, my sense is they might not be so easy to work with from a long distance. For someone close to Calgary, this likely an excellent option.
Awesome! Someone local to me! This is a big deal, as sending my car to th US is not an option
Old 05-09-2019, 04:02 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
In order to properly test the engine under driving conditions, the engine needs to be installed in the car. This is pretty much the position of Flat 6 Innovations (though I think they will accept an engine in a crate, they strongly discourage it). I can't imagine it would be any different for other engine builders.
They will. I think he has an engine dyno too or at least a "run" stand.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:05 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Depends on the day. Sometimes I wake up thinking I can talk myself into sinking $15k+ in this car, other days I just want to light it on fire and roast marshmallows with the kids.

I know you're following the used engine thread too. I'm getting a little more info on that front, and I'm going to make a decision in the next few days.

I thought your car was still running, are you driving it?
Old 05-09-2019, 08:19 PM
wsrgklt
Racer

I put it away for the winter in November and it was running, but was running rough. I haven’t wanted to drive it and have it deteriorate further if I’m going to rebuild the engine. I have an E90 BMW 335 for regular transportation, so I don’t have to rely on my 996.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:18 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 796 Posts

They will. I think he has an engine dyno too or at least a "run" stand.
^^Not the same as testing the engine in the car...

Quick Reply: 2019 Engine Rebuild Comparison RND/FSI/EBS/Vertex