Oil analysis by Oil Analyzers

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 05:41 AM
Os7213
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Oil analysis by Oil Analyzers

Hi guys

Before my next oil change I would like to find a lab to do the tests.
As it seems to be a little bit more complicated to send samples accros the border from Canada to US I was wondering if anyone here have used Oil Analyzers?

Their kit and analysis are correctly priced and the result include TBN. Tan is not available.

https://www.oildepot.ca/products/by-pass-oil-filters/oil-analysis-kits/

They sent me a complete document but I took two screen shot of the detailed analysis sheet

Thanks
Hugo
Old 04-13-2019, 07:36 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

Hugo, I don't see pricing?
Old 04-13-2019, 08:08 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 214 Likes on 136 Posts

I have used them. I was happy with their service.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:15 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
Hugo, I don't see pricing?
Exactly, I just visited this "oildepot.ca" websight and you have to contact them for pricing. Ugh! I hate that kind of thing. Just post the cost for the service people! We're not talking top secret nuclear launch codes here!

Anyway, I like the whole idea behind SpeedDiagnositx. This company is giving Porsche specific UOA. I would imagine this means they have lab assistants are trained with the knowledge of the specifics issues that plague the different Porsche engines.
https://www.speediagnostix.com

Their prices are posted on the site and it looks like a standard 6-day turnaround UOA is about $80 from Canada.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:18 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

Blackstone - they will send you a free kit and they make notes from your previous analysis.

$28 for the standard test. No upselling to me yet.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?ses...clq55%29%29%2F
Old 04-13-2019, 10:33 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
Blackstone - they will send you a free kit and they make notes from your previous analysis.

$28 for the standard test. No upselling to me yet.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?ses...clq55%29%29%2F
Uhhh... Mr Mexico,

It's NOT a free kit if they charge you $28.

hahahaha
Old 04-13-2019, 11:18 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Blackstone is free for the container being mailed to you with the return envelope, you only pay once you fill it with oil and send it to them for analysis.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:32 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cds72911
Blackstone is free for the container being mailed to you with the return envelope, you only pay once you fill it with oil and send it to them for analysis.
There is nothing free.

It's like getting the coupons in the mail that says, "Free hamburger!" And then the fine print below it says... "with the purchase of a drink and fries at regular price". You get to the burger joint and realize that a normal hamburger combo costs less than the coupon deal. Follow me?

Or .... those fancy applications that say... "Free download" The download is free but the app is not.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:06 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

I hear you, but you are incorrect in this specific case. They will send you a free container, and you can do whatever you want with it, no charge. I have a blackstone container sitting on my shelf fillled with used oil that I haven’t sent in, zero charge. If I never send it in, it is completely free to me.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:22 PM
Os7213
Racer

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Exactly, I just visited this "oildepot.ca" websight and you have to contact them for pricing. Ugh! I hate that kind of thing. Just post the cost for the service people! We're not talking top secret nuclear launch codes here!

Anyway, I like the whole idea behind SpeedDiagnositx. This company is giving Porsche specific UOA. I would imagine this means they have lab assistants are trained with the knowledge of the specifics issues that plague the different Porsche engines.
https://www.speediagnostix.com

Their prices are posted on the site and it looks like a standard 6-day turnaround UOA is about $80 from Canada.
Hi

Here are the options from oildepot.ca
KIT401 UPS Prepaid- $62.00 CDN
KIT402 Non postage- $38.70 CDN

Speedianostix would be my first choice but at 80$us its basicly the price of my oil change... I just find it hard to justify but they have the best reports I have seen so far.Again Blackstone seems also correct but shipping oil sample across border doesnt seems to be an "easy" task. CanadaPost wont accept it if I declare there is oil it. If I dont declare it I guess the US border wont let the package go throught...
Old 04-13-2019, 04:52 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Os7213
Hi

Here are the options from oildepot.ca
KIT401 UPS Prepaid- $62.00 CDN
KIT402 Non postage- $38.70 CDN

Speedianostix would be my first choice but at 80$us its basicly the price of my oil change... I just find it hard to justify but they have the best reports I have seen so far.Again Blackstone seems also correct but shipping oil sample across border doesnt seems to be an "easy" task. CanadaPost wont accept it if I declare there is oil it. If I dont declare it I guess the US border wont let the package go throught...
Canada Post will accept it, as a sample. I have sent lots of them. I've been using Blackstone for a couple of years now. My only complaint is the slow turnaround...not necessarily from Blackstone, I expect it is more from shipping. Usually something like 2-3 week turn around. I expect 2 of those weeks are getting to the border, 4 days getting across the border, a day from border to Blackstone and a day for testing and sending results.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:05 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
There is nothing free.

It's like getting the coupons in the mail that says, "Free hamburger!" And then the fine print below it says... "with the purchase of a drink and fries at regular price". You get to the burger joint and realize that a normal hamburger combo costs less than the coupon deal. Follow me?

Or .... those fancy applications that say... "Free download" The download is free but the app is not.
I built my house of Blackstone containers, several hundred thousand of them. COMPLETELY FREE!

And then there's these guys -
Old 04-14-2019, 12:06 AM
Os7213
Racer

Originally Posted by JTT
Canada Post will accept it, as a sample. I have sent lots of them. I've been using Blackstone for a couple of years now. My only complaint is the slow turnaround...not necessarily from Blackstone, I expect it is more from shipping. Usually something like 2-3 week turn around. I expect 2 of those weeks are getting to the border, 4 days getting across the border, a day from border to Blackstone and a day for testing and sending results.
Really? I gave them a call yesterday and they told me they wouldnt even accept a piece of cotton soaked in oil.... Just for info did you declare what it was or did you just declare it as a sample?
Honestly Blackstone was my second choice because lot of people seems to use their services on this forum.
I just want to make sure I will be able to use the service a couple time by the same lab to build an history for my engine.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:21 AM
Chodey
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
I hear you, but you are incorrect in this specific case. They will send you a free container, and you can do whatever you want with it, no charge. I have a blackstone container sitting on my shelf fillled with used oil that I haven’t sent in, zero charge. If I never send it in, it is completely free to me.
Yup, I literally have enough containers to last a lifetime.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:28 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,648 Likes on 2,107 Posts

When I send in an oil sample for analysis, I am looking for analysis on "my engine" for wear particles in PPM, iron, aluminum, copper ect, and also for coolant or fuel contamination. Since I never run the oil as nearly as long as it's designed for, I'm never really trying to analyze the oil its self.

I think the oil companies should analyze each others oil and if they really have a significant finding, should report it, sort of an "oil wars" type of thing in a "free market". But that won't happen, either they are all in agreement not to test each others products and report the truth, or there is just not that much significance to the findings. Personally I think the oil companies hold back the "bad" information they find in testing.

Quick Reply: Oil analysis by Oil Analyzers