Sponsored by:

Blown Motor!!??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 08:45 PM
User 63031
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Don’t forget to include the rotational inertial energy of all components coming to an instantaneous complete stop on that single rod.
Like I said, I fully agree that if the engine gained momentum before hitting the lock it's very likely to bend the rod. However Bill said his engine didn't gain momentum.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:45 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Thank you posting that. I went looking for something and found that. It was a bit too much - even for me.

Sometimes a little humor goes a long way. Especially during these trying times....

So Bill. Get a few rolls of duct tape. And keep your....never mind...
Old 04-09-2019, 08:50 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Very well written and calculated! I'm hoping luck is on bills side!

What factors could have lead to this hydrolock if it is the case?
Old 04-09-2019, 09:05 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

This thread makes me realize that this world is filled with a ton of really stupid smart people and a lot of smart stupid people.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:18 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
This thread makes me realize that this world is filled with a ton of really stupid smart people and a lot of smart stupid people.
Made me lol
Old 04-09-2019, 10:22 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

[QUOTE=Flat6 Innovations;

Raby-Out.

Good decision.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:40 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by 5CHN3LL
The ark:

* Had no motor
* Had no air conditioning
* Only managed one trip
* No buffet, and no open bar
* Managed to run aground on the ONLY obstacle on Earth at the time.

I think it's a draw, man...
It had an RMS (Religiously Motivated Seaman), an IMS (Impending Maritime Situation) and an AOS (Animal Organizing System).

BTW - I'm pulling for you Bill!
Old 04-10-2019, 02:56 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Good job, Boxman!! I enjoyed following the math logic throughout.

No guarantees, but from your calculations, I agree... a good chance his motor is not toast.

Ever read my blown motor thread here?
Old 04-10-2019, 11:40 AM
User 63031
Instructor

You mean the longest topic on the forum? Well I have now.. :P Great read.

I slightly edited the calculation in the meantime, I found a few minor errors and I sourced more accurate numbers on cylinder pressure. The results don't differ that much, the 'dangerzone' window grew by 2 degrees crank.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:41 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by user 63031
You mean the longest topic on the forum? Well I have now.. :P Great read.

I slightly edited the calculation in the meantime, I found a few minor errors and I sourced more accurate numbers on cylinder pressure. The results don't differ that much, the 'dangerzone' window grew by 2 degrees crank.
With all due respect, what has taken you two days to formulate, basically Raby summed up in a few sentences. I have a love for science, but I can't see how something with so many unknown/unseen variables can be quantified. Now if the engine goes through a disassembled post-failure anaylsis, that would be a game changer. It will be interesting to see once the motor can be started if any internal damage has occurred from the AOS failure.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:05 PM
User 63031
Instructor

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
With all due respect, what has taken you two days to formulate, basically Raby summed up in a few sentences. I have a love for science, but I can't see how something with so many unknown/unseen variables can be quantified. Now if the engine goes through a disassembled post-failure anaylsis, that would be a game changer. It will be interesting to see once the motor can be started if any internal damage has occurred from the AOS failure.
What he didn't want to back up with anything other than "because I say so" (unverifiable, unfalsifiable), I indeed formulated in a definite manner that is verifiable by anyone who has basic physics and maths skills. If you don't see the value in that, I doubt you actually have a love for science.

What exactly are the unknowns in your opinion? The forces are calculated in an exact manner based on this particular engine's specific dimensions, down to 0.1mm precise. With rigid bodies like these the analysis is really straightforward. The only true 'unknown' is the actual safety margin on the conrod, but the analysis provided gives a clear and definite lower boundary based on the forces your conrod experiences every day.

Also "two days", I mean, you know this forum has timestamps, right?
Old 04-10-2019, 01:15 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

I was told a quick check for the AOS is too remove the oil cap while idling, if it's hard to open, then the AOS is starting to fail.

Does this sound right guys?
Old 04-10-2019, 01:17 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by user 63031
What he didn't want to back up with anything other than "because I say so" (unverifiable, unfalsifiable), I indeed formulated in a definite manner that is verifiable by anyone who has basic physics and maths skills. If you don't see the value in that, I doubt you actually have a love for science.

What exactly are the unknowns in your opinion? The forces are calculated in an exact manner based on this particular engine's specific dimensions, down to 0.1mm precise. With rigid bodies like these the analysis is really straightforward. The only true 'unknown' is the actual safety margin on the conrod, but the analysis provided gives a clear and definite lower boundary based on the forces your conrod experiences every day.

Also "two days", I mean, you know this forum has timestamps, right?
It's actually common knowledge among seasoned Technicians that hydrolocking bends rods, even on the starter. But I enjoyed and applaud your calculations and I now know who to call on if I need a formula..
Old 04-10-2019, 01:23 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I'm not following the "game changer" comment? Do you mean being on the short end of the stick on a low odds scienerio?
Old 04-10-2019, 01:38 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I appreciate Boxman's effort. This is how engineering works. He did have to make assumptions to bound the scenario. There may be factors outside the calculation that result in a bent rod, such as ignition in several of the cylinders during rotation, a flaw or prior damage to the connecting rod, etc. Bill will know the actual status after the runs the engine and has empirical data. Boxman's calculation would make me feel comfortable that it is unlikely the rod was damaged on the starter, but we won't know for sure until the engine is either run or disassembled.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way for Bill to determine the status of the rod, that I am aware of. Worst case is he fires it up and it appears to run well and then has a catastrophic failure at 7000 RPM under load. Thats the way it goes with mechanical stuff sometimes.

Quick Reply: Blown Motor!!??