Sponsored by:

Normal Coolant Temps

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 08:51 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Normal Coolant Temps

Being that it's getting hotter here already, a few days in the 80s. I noticed the coolant temp riding up a bit in stop and go traffic.

I checked it with the OBD Fusion app and was sitting at about 218-220. I didnt ever see it rise about that.

Is this normal? Safe operating level?

I also happened to notice the digital speedometer and OBD Fusion were off by a few MPH. When compared to my GPS that was also a different speed.

OBD Fusion: 63
GPS: 65
Digital Speedo: 66

Which is most trustworthy?
Old 04-02-2019, 09:39 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

If your ac was off the cooling fans wont operate until those temps. If your ac was on then those temps are not out of line for stop and go hot day traffic. But i would still have a look and make sure things are working like both front fans and whens the last time the bumper was removed for a radiator clean up?
Old 04-02-2019, 09:52 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
If your ac was off the cooling fans wont operate until those temps. If your ac was on then those temps are not out of line for stop and go hot day traffic. But i would still have a look and make sure things are working like both front fans and whens the last time the bumper was removed for a radiator clean up?
Not sure if they kicked on. I just leave the AC pretty much the entire time. Forget about it as it turns on everytime you go to auto mode.

I've had the car about 9 months and havent done it myself. Maybe I will make that a project this week or next as Inwont be working.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:48 PM
buccicone
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 217 Posts

This what I found last night even though it was blown out by the previous owner and myself from the outside.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:37 AM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by buccicone
This what I found last night even though it was blown out by the previous owner and myself from the outside.
I will post before and after pics of mine this week...maybe next if I get too busy. (And i remember to take them)
Old 04-03-2019, 03:26 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

I really need to do mine too. I already clean out a half gallon of leaves and gravel/rocks with a shop vac.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:34 AM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I really need to do mine too. I already clean out a half gallon of leaves and gravel/rocks with a shop vac.
How long since you did it last?

Now I'm even more curious what I will find. I dont know when it was done last.

I want to try and do it tomorrow, but the gf is off and coming over in the morning. I dont think I'll get to it.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:44 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatSalesGuy
How long since you did it last?

Now I'm even more curious what I will find. I dont know when it was done last.

I want to try and do it tomorrow, but the gf is off and coming over in the morning. I dont think I'll get to it.
I've had it for six months and not sure if it's ever been done. I found leaves from trees not found in the islands...
Old 04-03-2019, 03:46 AM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I've had it for six months and not sure if it's ever been done. I found leaves from trees not found in the islands...
I'm in that boat. I know mine spent some time in SoCal previously and in LV. Curious what I'll find.

I am going to try tomorrow afternoon or Thursday, but that depends on what the gf has planned for us. If not, Friday is my goal to be completed.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:30 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

At what point are the fans on? When do they jump to high?

Currently, I am in the middle of cleaning the radiators out. Will post pics in a bit.
The passenger fan comes on instantly with the AC on while the driver side is off. Then when jumping to high, both come on. Is this normal? Or am I looking at a faulty fan or short for the low speed.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:40 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,083 Posts

At what point are the fans on? When do they jump to high?

Currently, I am in the middle of cleaning the radiators out. Will post pics in a bit.
The passenger fan comes on instantly with the AC on while the driver side is off. Then when jumping to high, both come on. Is this normal? Or am I looking at a faulty fan or short for the low speed.
Not normal. Both fans should come on high or low.

Electric fans

There are two radiator modules installed in the front of the vehicle (on the jleft- and right-hand side). These radiators are each fitted with an electric fan. They can be operated at two speeds and are activated by the DME control unit whenever the following conditions apply:

Electric fan, speed 1

(Ground to DME control unit, terminal 35)

Coolant temperature higher than 96.75°C or air conditioning switched on.

Electric fan, speed 2

(Ground to DME control unit, terminal 36)

Coolant temperature > 102°C or air-conditioning fluid pressure switch closed (coolant pressure > 16 bar).

Note: The electric fans for the radiators are only triggered when the engine is running!

Engine bay fan:

The engine compartment purge fan rarely comes on.

From the service manual...

"Switch-on conditions for engine compartment fan (this fan pulls air into the engine compartment) The engine compartment fan is switched on when the engine compartment temperature is > 176 degrees F or the coolant temperature is > 216 degrees F.

After-running of engine compartment fan

If the ignition is switched off and the engine compartment temperature is more than 140 degrees F, the DME control module remains in readiness for another 20 minutes. During this time, the engine compartment temperature is retrieved every 10 seconds. If the engine compartment temperature is > 185 degrees F , the engine compartment fan is switched on for 20 seconds. If the engine compartment temperature is still > 185 degrees F after this time, the fan remains on for a further 30 seconds."

Here is the long explanation from the service manual on the flashing coolant light.

"Four functions of the coolant warning light:

1. Engine coolant level too low -- light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz)

2. Engine compartment temperature too high -- light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz) (engine compartment blower might be faulty)

3. Engine coolant temperature too high -- light is lit; pointer on the right

4. Temperature sensor at water outlet faulty -- light flashes rapidly (1 Hz) ; pointer on the right

Note: The temperature warning in point three is indicated if the conditions "engine coolant temperature too high" and "engine coolant level too low" are present simultaneously."
Old 04-03-2019, 09:41 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Being that it's getting hotter here already, a few days in the 80s. I noticed the coolant temp riding up a bit in stop and go traffic.

I checked it with the OBD Fusion app and was sitting at about 218-220. I didnt ever see it rise about that.

Is this normal? Safe operating level?

I also happened to notice the digital speedometer and OBD Fusion were off by a few MPH. When compared to my GPS that was also a different speed.

OBD Fusion: 63
GPS: 65
Digital Speedo: 66

Which is most trustworthy?
I wouldn’t worry about speed being off. Most of these are off by several mph. I would tend to trust GPS the most.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:08 AM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Not normal. Both fans should come on high or low.

Electric fans

There are two radiator modules installed in the front of the vehicle (on the jleft- and right-hand side). These radiators are each fitted with an electric fan. They can be operated at two speeds and are activated by the DME control unit whenever the following conditions apply:

Electric fan, speed 1

(Ground to DME control unit, terminal 35)

Coolant temperature higher than 96.75°C or air conditioning switched on.

Electric fan, speed 2

(Ground to DME control unit, terminal 36)

Coolant temperature > 102°C or air-conditioning fluid pressure switch closed (coolant pressure > 16 bar).

Note: The electric fans for the radiators are only triggered when the engine is running!

Engine bay fan:

The engine compartment purge fan rarely comes on.

From the service manual...

"Switch-on conditions for engine compartment fan (this fan pulls air into the engine compartment) The engine compartment fan is switched on when the engine compartment temperature is > 176 degrees F or the coolant temperature is > 216 degrees F.

After-running of engine compartment fan

If the ignition is switched off and the engine compartment temperature is more than 140 degrees F, the DME control module remains in readiness for another 20 minutes. During this time, the engine compartment temperature is retrieved every 10 seconds. If the engine compartment temperature is > 185 degrees F , the engine compartment fan is switched on for 20 seconds. If the engine compartment temperature is still > 185 degrees F after this time, the fan remains on for a further 30 seconds."

Here is the long explanation from the service manual on the flashing coolant light.

"Four functions of the coolant warning light:

1. Engine coolant level too low -- light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz)

2. Engine compartment temperature too high -- light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz) (engine compartment blower might be faulty)

3. Engine coolant temperature too high -- light is lit; pointer on the right

4. Temperature sensor at water outlet faulty -- light flashes rapidly (1 Hz) ; pointer on the right

Note: The temperature warning in point three is indicated if the conditions "engine coolant temperature too high" and "engine coolant level too low" are present simultaneously."
Terminal 35, I assume would be in tone of the large round connectors?

I am assuming it's more likely for the fan to have a malfunction than the ground going out. I guess I will look into testing the ground tomorrow, assuming i can track it.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:14 AM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Before and after of the radiators and the AC condensers.

Before

After

Quite a bit of crap, dirt, buildup that was removed and found drivers fan not working on low.
Time to troubleshoot that tomorrow.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:16 AM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
I wouldn’t worry about speed being off. Most of these are off by several mph. I would tend to trust GPS the most.
This was more of a curiosity thing. I am used to my motorcycle being about 10% high on the speedometer reading.
Figured the OBD may be known to be most accurate being that its computer driven. Then again, it wouldnt make sense for that to be off from the digital reading on the dash.

Quick Reply: Normal Coolant Temps