Normal Coolant Temps

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 11:25 AM
Os7213
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

Engine bay fan:

The engine compartment purge fan rarely comes on.

From the service manual...

"Switch-on conditions for engine compartment fan (this fan pulls air into the engine compartment) The engine compartment fan is switched on when the engine compartment temperature is > 176 degrees F or the coolant temperature is > 216 degrees F.

After-running of engine compartment fan

If the ignition is switched off and the engine compartment temperature is more than 140 degrees F, the DME control module remains in readiness for another 20 minutes. During this time, the engine compartment temperature is retrieved every 10 seconds. If the engine compartment temperature is > 185 degrees F , the engine compartment fan is switched on for 20 seconds. If the engine compartment temperature is still > 185 degrees F after this time, the fan remains on for a further 30 seconds."
Hi guys

Im certainly not an engineer so I prefer asking the question: would it be benefic for the engine to have this fan on most of time, especially at idle?
I guess a cooler engine bay would help control / bring down coolant temp. or atleast ease the work?
Old 04-10-2019, 12:23 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,778 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Os7213
Hi guys

Im certainly not an engineer so I prefer asking the question: would it be benefic for the engine to have this fan on most of time, especially at idle?
I guess a cooler engine bay would help control / bring down coolant temp. or atleast ease the work?
The engine bay? Not really. The front radiators? Probably. 95% of engine cooling comes from the front radiators. The oil cooler is is a water-to-oil cooler, not an air-to-oil cooler like the air cooled cars.

The problem with how this engine is designed has to do with where the coolant sensor is located. It’s better to have cooler front radiators for temperature spikes. Which is possibly why the manual usually indicates to leave the AC button on the air conditioner turned on.

Quick Reply: Normal Coolant Temps